· Pond Fish
· Responsible Fish Keeping
· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
  1. Default Are my otocinclus eating the brown algae?

0 Not allowed!
    Since I got them about 4 days ago they've been nonstop going nom nom nom all over my fake plants, which have a ton of brown algae on.

They will sit on a leaf munching away for a while, but when they move it doesn't look like they got any of the algae off. This stuff is pretty thick though. Are they not able to get it off or do they just eat really tiny amounts?

I tossed in a softened slice of cucumber in there just to see if they'd eat it and they didn't bother with it after a couple days so I took it out. I can't really check out their body either since they move around like they are on crack. The puffers gave them a look like who put the crack heads in here? :)

I just don't want to end up killing the guys from starvation.

0 Not allowed!
    Yes they are. Otos are one of the only fish available that will eat diatoms. As they are tiny fish, they can't eat a ton, but they will work at it and eventually they will clean up all the diatoms.
    Considering a Marine Aquarium? A Breakdown of the Components, Live Rock, Cycling a Marine Tank

"The capacity to learn is a gift; The ability to learn is a skill; The WILLINGNESS to learn is a choice." - Unknown

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Cool thats good to know. Thanks for the help!

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Oh yes, they're eating away at it. Our Oto's didn't like cucumber either . . . just never could get them interested. I'm surprised your puffers even noticed them. Our puffers just swim around oblivious that they're even there . . . of course, we're fairly oblivious to them as well since we rarely ever see them. LOL
    36 gallon bowfront - "Hector" the Dwarf Gourami, 3 Peppered Corydoras, "Big Eric" the Rubberlip Pleco, "Killwillie" the German Blue Ram, and 9 Rummynose Tetras, 1 true Siamese Algae Eater

20 gallon long; Planted & Aquascaped (Dwarf Hairgrass, Scarlet Temple, Lace Java Fern, Red Ludwigia) - Female German Blue Ram, 4 Oto's, 11 Neon Tetras

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Try a slice of blanched zucchini in a week or two. I think it's more appetizing than cucumber. (To blanch, put it in a microwave safe dish, add water until it is floating, cook for 1 min. Let cool before giving to fish.)

They eat constantly... all the little micro-junk you don't even know existed. They also pooh constantly. Be sure you are diligent with your substrate vaccuming (unless you're planted, which it doesn't seem you are).
    --Kathy--
    "Let justice be done, though the heavens may fall."

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Thanks, I'll try that out!

I'm actually looking into getting plants and so I'm doing some research currently on the different plants, where to get them, what I need.

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Luna
    Try a slice of blanched zucchini in a week or two. I think it's more appetizing than cucumber. (To blanch, put it in a microwave safe dish, add water until it is floating, cook for 1 min. Let cool before giving to fish.)

They eat constantly... all the little micro-junk you don't even know existed. They also pooh constantly. Be sure you are diligent with your substrate vaccuming (unless you're planted, which it doesn't seem you are).

Just curious? What does it mean to blanch the zucchini? Does it more appetizing to the fish or make it sink or something? I have a common pleco who absolutely loves zucchini. He pouts and gets cranky when he doesn't have his treat.
    40g breeder reef- Two clowns named Cora and Bennie, King the Midas Blenny, Dante the cleaner shrimp, Athena the peppermint shrimp, and a plethora of sps, lps, and softies.

90g fw community- Two Blood parrots named Glub Glub and Dert Da Der, Rex the 7yr old common pleco, and a mish mash of other community fish.

8. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Blanching is a way to cook the vegetable. It does make it more appealing to the fish. Otos are notoriously picky eaters and this seems to work. It also makes the food softer and easier for them to consume. (I read somewhere online that otos prefer slightly rotten food, but I can't find it again so I can't verify that.) It does not help the food sink. Experience has taught me that. (I have found myself chasing a floating slice many times.)
    --Kathy--
    "Let justice be done, though the heavens may fall."

9. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I'm going to hijack this thread tomorrow when i take some pictures...just a heads up. I added some otto's about a month ago due to super bad algae problems. Diatoms is one of the majors and just noticed some of my plants have clean dots...i'm going to assume it's them and they cleaned it up.

Now i just need a few more to catch up and finish the job.