· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Here's a corydoras. - troy   

Default Who has a dedicated goldfish tank?

0 Not allowed!
    I have to say, that my goldfish tank is one of the most fun tanks to wach. They are such fun fish to watch when there are a few of them together, and they always appear to be changing (color and size, lol).

But the point of this thread is to ask what and how much do you feed your goldfish?

I have:
    one large commet (5 inches)
    one large oranda (5 inches)
    one small pearscale (1.5 inches)
    one small common (1.5 inches)
    one medium fantail (2.5 inches)

what would you reccomend feeding them?

And I know that general rule of thumb is to fead them as much as they can eat in a minute, but they can clean up a large pinch of flakes in the much time, and they will keep doing it as long as I keep dropping it in. I just want to make sure tha I am not overfeading.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Merry Christmas - Abbeys_Mom   Great advice thanks - nraposa   Thanks for helping me with my cichlids - Drumachine09   Always good answers - Lady Hobbs   You dont have enough gifts. - Drumachine09   

0 Not allowed!
    The best diet for goldfish in my experience is New Life Spectrum. It is the only food mine get and they are much better for it. The biggest support for this is the fact that mine don't bother the plants, something almost all goldfish are very happy to do. Their colors are better, growth is very good, and they are VERY healthy. I added a new one yesterday and its orange didn't seem too light in the store. I got it home and next to the ones that have been eating NLS for so many months now it looks light orange compared to their red-orange.

There is a whole article on them at the top of this section, check it out, it should be a lot of help.

I have a 150 with currently 8 goldfish and I feed 1.5-2 teaspoons once or twice a day.

What size tank is it?

You can see pics of mine and their tank in my PhotoBucket page in my signature.
    Aquarist since 1995
    Biologist and Published Author in Multiple Aquarium Magazines
    Owner: Aquarium Maintenance Company
    Advanced Aquarium Concepts: Articles about many aspects of aquarium care.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    My tank is a 75 gallon tank with okay filtration for now, I plan on upgrading around christmas to a fx5.

right now it is just a rena xp3, and a penguin 170 biowheel.

You are feading them the NLS goldfish food right?

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Merry Christmas - Abbeys_Mom   Great advice thanks - nraposa   Thanks for helping me with my cichlids - Drumachine09   Always good answers - Lady Hobbs   You dont have enough gifts. - Drumachine09   

0 Not allowed!
    The FX5 is a great pick for that tank. The only thing you need to keep an eye on is the flow rate with the round-bodied goldfish. Worst case you will probably only need to put things in front of the outputs to reduce the flow rate a little.

Another thing is that the long-bodied guys can cause problems with the round-bodied ones. One possibility is eating the food faster and the slower round-bodieds won't get enough. Another is that I have known some long-bodieds to eat the wen (cap) on things like orandas.

I feed the NLS Large Fish Formula. It is a 3mm sinking pellet. Almost all the NLS foods are effectively the same. So the only thing you need to worry about is the size of the pellets and whether it floats or sinks. I have sand (a great substrate with any fish, but especially with goldfish) so I can feed even very small sinking pellets. There is also an article in my blog about sand. If you have gravel and need a small pellet you may want to consider bowl feeding, again there is an article on it in my blog.
    Aquarist since 1995

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

A gift for you - Tolley   for your loss - ladyoutlaw50   
    Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - GouramiGal   

0 Not allowed!
    Pratical Fishkeeping magazine has several interesting articles on goldfish this month. (July 08)

IMO, goldfish always appear ravenous. It's hard to tell how much to feed them.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Is that the UK magazine?
    Aquarist since 1995

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

A gift for you - Tolley   for your loss - ladyoutlaw50   
    Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - GouramiGal   

0 Not allowed!
    Yup yup! I just bought it yesterday at Barnes & Noble.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Fishguy2727
    The FX5 is a great pick for that tank. The only thing you need to keep an eye on is the flow rate with the round-bodied goldfish. Worst case you will probably only need to put things in front of the outputs to reduce the flow rate a little.

Another thing is that the long-bodied guys can cause problems with the round-bodied ones. One possibility is eating the food faster and the slower round-bodieds won't get enough. Another is that I have known some long-bodieds to eat the wen (cap) on things like orandas.

I feed the NLS Large Fish Formula. It is a 3mm sinking pellet. Almost all the NLS foods are effectively the same. So the only thing you need to worry about is the size of the pellets and whether it floats or sinks. I have sand (a great substrate with any fish, but especially with goldfish) so I can feed even very small sinking pellets. There is also an article in my blog about sand. If you have gravel and need a small pellet you may want to consider bowl feeding, again there is an article on it in my blog.

I will have to look into the NLS for my goldfish.

I also think a LONG spray bar all the way acrost the back of the tank will take care of the flow, provide good turnover, and keep my fish from getting swept away.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

congrats on MOTM! - Jacko   Another round for my friends - mommy1   Another day, another round for my friends. - mommy1   After all that virtual alcohol it's time to sober up with some virtual food - mommy1   Thanks for your kind words in my blog, it really dose help - Cliff   
    Emphysema - Lung Cancer - Lung Disease - Multiple Sclerosis - The Red Severum   Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - The Red Severum   World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - The Red Severum   Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - The Red Severum   HIV/AIDS - The Red Severum   

0 Not allowed!
    I have a 35 long for my 2 goldfish ( i know a little small but they got a pond in the future) and they were used as cycle fish :)

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    I have never seen anyone do a spray bar on an FX5, that sounds good. Have you found a DIY article on it or anything?

Did you read the article on goldfish I wrote?
    Do you have gravel?
    Aquarist since 1995