· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

you looked a little bare - Algenco   No Message - Angila   just thought i would say hi - sncrowe   

Default turtle id and help please

0 Not allowed!
    Ok my hubby brought me this little guy we have a pond in the midst of being cleaned up but in the mean time i have him in a 10 gal. I am assuming he needs calcium for his shell and i will have to do alot of water changes as he is a dirty lil guy but does he need 50/50 water / land? I really think he would enjoy our pond once set up it is 8ft deep 15ft across and 65ft long. but it is keeping him healthy until that point.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    He's a western painted turtle. He is an aquatic turtle which means he needs lots of water (10 gallons for every inch of shell) and only a small space where he can get out of the water and bask. He needs to be able to get fully dry. You will need a UVB bulb and a heat lamp for him to bask with. The basking temperature should be 10 degrees higher than the water temperature.
    You will need to get a cuttlebone thats made for birds for him to eat, it has to be unflavored and u need to peel the hard backing off it. Just throw little chunks in every now and then and it will be all the calcium he needs.
    Only problem with ponds are temperature, wild animals, and basking spots. The pond will need to be fenced in to protect from animals, and he will need a basking spot in the shade and in the sun.
    Any questions you have feel free to ask and i'll anwser as best i can!
    Good Luck with your new friend.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Merry Christmas - Abbeys_Mom   Great advice thanks - nraposa   Thanks for helping me with my cichlids - Drumachine09   Always good answers - Lady Hobbs   You dont have enough gifts. - Drumachine09   

0 Not allowed!
    Cuttlebones are actually unnecessary. A proper diet will provide all the calcium needed. The diet should be based on high quality turtle and even fish pellets.
    Aquarist since 1995
    Biologist and Published Author in Multiple Aquarium Magazines
    Owner: Aquarium Maintenance Company
    Advanced Aquarium Concepts: Articles about many aspects of aquarium care.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    I agree that most times cuttlebone is unnecessary with a proper diet, but from the pictures shown the turtles shell wasn't the healthiest I've ever seen and thought maybe it could use a bit of extra calcium to get it back in shape. Only my opinion, sorry if i was wrong.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Merry Christmas - Abbeys_Mom   Great advice thanks - nraposa   Thanks for helping me with my cichlids - Drumachine09   Always good answers - Lady Hobbs   You dont have enough gifts. - Drumachine09   

0 Not allowed!
    It sounds like it was recently wild caught, in which the shell can look very different from a 'healthy' captive raised specimen.

Is the shell nice and firm?

I have never used cuttlebones or any other calcium supplements, just high quality foods. So in my experience they aren't necessary. 'It can't hurt though' may be different.
    Aquarist since 1995

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

you looked a little bare - Algenco   No Message - Angila   just thought i would say hi - sncrowe   

0 Not allowed!
    he was caught in the wild from a park pond and his shell does seem very soft not hard like i would think it needs to be...the pond will be fenced because i have 3 wild animals (my children) that could drown but i never did think about real wild animals thanks. i think i will throww a cottle bone in there and his food so he might have a better chance thank you so much i am sure i will have plenty more questions as this is the first turtle i have ever had.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

You need and deserve a gift =D and also Congrats on the fry - Ryuu   A friend for your discus - Ryuu   Hopefully youll get fry soon lol - Ryuu   No more other discus, so heres some offspring lol - Ryuu   Who can't resist some ice-cream! - Tolley   
    Male Breast Cancer - Pregnancy Loss - Infant Loss - Sudden Infant Death - KrytterKrys   Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - KrytterKrys   

Talking

0 Not allowed!
    I agree with Ty he's def. a paint or rather it looks like a she, but she's still looks a lil young to tell. Like everyone else said you will need to get a uvb light for shell growth, and a good basking spot. they also enjoy eating crickets and smaller worms as a snack also. mine eat out of my hand and get excited when they see me! you'll also def need to get a really good filter, they can be really dirty lil buggers! but they can be enjoying to watch swim around and if you have mutiples, stack on top of another when basking! they can be quite comical!

Krystle
    i My FiSHieS
    "May the holes in your net be no larger than the fish in it"
    55g FW Planted Community

Gerbils: Samsonite, Latte, Jasper, Pixel, Spice, Macchiato, Barceló, Kuhlua
    Maine Coon Mix: Camo
    Blue Heeler Cattledog: Arro

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    The UVB and high quality pellets should provide all the calcium and Vitamin D3 needed, but a cuttlebone won't make things worse. Just make sure that at least almost all of the diet is high quality pellets because live foods are not enriched with the calcium needed. Snails may help with that though. They will help clean until they are eaten.
    Aquarist since 1995