· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Transfering to new tank?

0 Not allowed!
    We recently set up a 55 gallon to move our Goldfish to. It has two HOB filters one is temporary until we get an o ring for our canister. One of the HOBS has biofilter material from the last owner, and the other has one filter from our 30 gallon (we put a new filter in the 30 gallon) We are using NO substrate. We were wondering when we can start adding fish we were planning on doing it one at a time, is it too early? Its been up and running for 24 hours.

29 gallon-planted community

20 long frag tank
    75 gal-planted goldfish

75 gallon mixed reef with 20 gallon sump

0 Not allowed!
    Instead of risking the goldfish we've had a few months, we bought 4 .29 cent feeders to start the tank cycling. When we are done with the feeders we'll bring them back to the lfs.

20 long frag tank
    75 gal-planted goldfish

0 Not allowed!
    Sounds good and you may even want to use more feeders to give you a better bacteria load. I'd get that canister going, too, so that can grow a good amount of bacteria before adding your fish to the tank. Especially since you'll be using no gravel. I bet you can order an o-ring online for next to nothing.

0 Not allowed!
    I have an o-ring coming, and if it still leaks I'll buy another canister, my LFS has a 100 gallon one for $160, how many feeders should i have, maybe another 4, and also, what would the best filter media and what configuration should it be in for goldfish. Right now all it has is 2 layers of plastic pellets, are those bio-mex? I know it needs more, but there so many choices. I want to get whats best and what will keep the water the clearest.

20 long frag tank
    75 gal-planted goldfish

0 Not allowed!
    I'm going to refer you to this thread as everyone wrote what and how they pack their filters here.

http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ad.php?t=25537

It's definately a personal choice what media they use. Some like carbon, some use peat to lower pH, some use ammonia removers and you have to figure out what you think will work for you. What you are seeing is not plastic pellets but a biomax that holds the bacteria. This is to only be rinsed in tank water and not in tap water. Serves the same purpose as the bio-wheel only better (IMO). Using no substrate, I would probably use the ammonia chips since your set-up is new and your canister media will also be new. Just for an added precaution for now.

The O-ring replacement should work for you and your canister should have no reason to leak. A small amount of vasoline rubbed on it also helps. Check prices online if you should ever need to buy a canister as prices are generally better with sales and sometimes free shipping.

What size are your goldfish you will be moving into that tank? Their size would depend if one could be added to your tank yet.

0 Not allowed!
    One black more is around 4 inches including his tail, the other is maybe 2 inches or so. The orandais maybe 3 inches and the Shubukin is about 2.5 inches. I'll check that link out and thank you for the help. I'm trying to do this tank right unlike the other ones we have where we rushed right into (surprisingly we only lost 3 fish in the beginning and they were all bought from Wal-mart, while all the ones from the LFS are still alive). This site has been a big help.

20 long frag tank
    75 gal-planted goldfish

0 Not allowed!
    I read through the section on filter media and my manual and it looks like i'll use a course foam pad on the side, the carbon and ammonia chips on the bottom, and then 2 layers of biomax.

20 long frag tank
    75 gal-planted goldfish

0 Not allowed!
    You'll find having a larger tank much easier than the smaller tank. The water doesn't get as high in toxins due to the volume of water which helps a lot in the loss of fish and it's easier to cycle with fish, as well. Knowing me, I would have probably cycled using the goldfish you have and just tested the water daily to make sure it was in the safe range. It would have been nice if you had some established media to start with and too bad you put new stuff in the 30 gallon filter. That media would have given you a start rather than everything being new.

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by labnjab
    I read through the section on filter media and my manual and it looks like i'll use a course foam pad on the side, the carbon and ammonia chips on the bottom, and then 2 layers of biomax.
    Sounds good.

0 Not allowed!
    The hob filters actually took the same filter media size as my 30 gallon, so i put the old media from the 30 into one of the filters in the 55. Also 2 of the biofilters in the 55 are used (theres a total of 4) I don't know if that helps.

I'm gonna buy some more feeders tomorrow.

One more question, how often should i change the water?

20 long frag tank
    75 gal-planted goldfish