· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Default hillstrem loach compatability?

0 Not allowed!
    thinking about getting a hillstream loach, not sure if he is the right candidate for my tanganyikan, (one julidochromis and a lemonpeel about an inch each along with a night goby) tank. They can be agressive but there are many caves and hiding placed in the tank, along with a strong water flow. What seems to be the temperment of the hillstream loach especially that in a community tank.
    "Paid jobs absorb and degrade the mind." --Aristotle

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Wecome to the forum - Lady Hobbs   ...Use it wisely. - Drumachine09   Superman of tanks big and bigger - Lady Hobbs   Cheers! - alizee340   for knowing stuff - Nick_Pavlovski   
    World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - Dave66   

0 Not allowed!
    If your general hardness is between 8 and 12 and the pH is 8.0 or less you can, but the dissolved Oxygen level can't dip below 8 mg/l with these fish.

Dave
    When a finger points to the moon, the imbecile looks at the finger.

Omnia mutantur nihil interit.

The more you read, the more things you will know. The more that you learn, the more places you'll go

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Your first gift!! - Brookfish   thank you - angelcakes   You need another one lol - Celtic Fins   
    Graves Disease - Lymphedema - Men's Health - Pro Choice - Prostate Cancer - Scleroderma - Thyroid Disease - Trisomy 18 - abaigael04   

0 Not allowed!
    Also- I know nothing about tanganyikan tanks but what temp is your tank? 75 F is highest temp. For them. Hillies like cooler temps also they need groups of them. they also prefer moving water- hence the high oxygen levels.
    Jade
    125 gal- chromobotia macracanthus, Baryancistrus beggini(L239)
    60 gal - planning for (tentatively) Celestial pearl danios and a pseudacanthicus cf. leopardus (L-114) - pterygoplichthys disjunctivus (needs a new home!)
    20 gal - pangio kuhlii
    10 gal Q tank
    Counting the YEARS to get my 200 gal!!

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Member of the month, a toast is in order. - Strider199   Sorry about your blood parrot :-( - ~firefly~   For this; http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aquariumforum/showthread.php?t=111325 - Strider199   :-) - ~firefly~   Happy mother's day! Enjoy one on me LOL - imma24   
    Childhood Cancer - hobbs   World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - hobbs   Myasthenia Gravis - Ovarian Cancer - Sexual Assault - Substance Abuse - Lady Hobbs   Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - Lady Hobbs   Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - Lady Hobbs   

0 Not allowed!
    Those that I know that have hillstream loaches have them in a species only tank and have jets set up at the bottom to give them the needed current. Most other fish don't like that current and constantly struggling against it will stress them.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Wishing You A Happy New Year!!! - Jill   Happy New year - Celtic Fins   May the Anti troll force be with you. - Celtic Fins   2001 posts! - Northernguy   For your helpful fry advice - Cliff   

0 Not allowed!
    Even setting aside the lower temps and high water flow rates hillstream loaches prefer I wouldn't recommend mixing them with most cichlids. Hillstream loaches are peaceful enough to be good community fish, but Tanganykians are not generally peaceful in any case.