· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Awards Showcase

Merry Christmas - Abbeys_Mom Great advice thanks - nraposa Thanks for helping me with my cichlids - Drumachine09 Always good answers - Lady Hobbs You dont have enough gifts. - Drumachine09 
    Thanks for your help again. - Lady Hobbs goodbye reptileguy....hello Fishguy - Lady Hobbs For always giving me great answere's on my PM's. Thanks for all the help! - cocoa_pleco Thanks For Your Help & Knowledge! :) - MeganL3985 For weakening me against axolotls!!!!!!! - Nick_Pavlovski 
    I am baking today and figured I'd share...Thanks for Always Helping when it's needed! - **AquaQueen** For recommending Fluvals and Stealths - Lady Hobbs Merry Christmas :) - MeganL3985 Merry Christmas! - RichBowyer Thanks for the hikari help - Billythefish 
    No Message - LORENZO Merry Christmas - Northernguy merry christmas.. a fellow fishnutter. - LORENZO merry christmas.. a fellow fishnutter. - LORENZO Merry X-Mas!! - The Red Severum 

0 Not allowed!
    You shouldn't have to adjust your heater to compensate for extra heat except maybe turn it up. Your heater should automatically shut off when at or above the set temperature. If pumps and lights add heat the heater should simply turn off, not be set any lower. Setting it lower allows it to drop when lights are off, allowing for temp instability. As stated stability is vital. So if your lights raise it two degrees, really you need to raise the heater temp two degrees so the temp stays stable. This way if the lights are adding heat, the heater will just turn off and the temp will remain stable.
    Aquarist since 1995
    Biologist
    Owner: Aquarium Maintenance Company
    Brian's Aquarium Care: Articles about many aspects of aquarium care.

0 Not allowed!
    My lower heater temp doesn't really make a difference since I only have Power Compact lighting, I just keep it turned lower because it was higher and I picked 76. Powerheads and a return pump can add a lot of heat to the water.
    If you are using metal halide lighting then the only way to avoid temp fluctuation from night to day is by using a chiller during the day to keep the temp down and the heaters during the night to keep it up.
    Considering a Marine Aquarium? A Breakdown of the Components, Live Rock, Cycling a Marine Tank

"The capacity to learn is a gift; The ability to learn is a skill; The WILLINGNESS to learn is a choice." - Unknown

Awards Showcase

Merry Christmas - Abbeys_Mom Great advice thanks - nraposa Thanks for helping me with my cichlids - Drumachine09 Always good answers - Lady Hobbs You dont have enough gifts. - Drumachine09 
    Thanks for your help again. - Lady Hobbs goodbye reptileguy....hello Fishguy - Lady Hobbs For always giving me great answere's on my PM's. Thanks for all the help! - cocoa_pleco Thanks For Your Help & Knowledge! :) - MeganL3985 For weakening me against axolotls!!!!!!! - Nick_Pavlovski 
    I am baking today and figured I'd share...Thanks for Always Helping when it's needed! - **AquaQueen** For recommending Fluvals and Stealths - Lady Hobbs Merry Christmas :) - MeganL3985 Merry Christmas! - RichBowyer Thanks for the hikari help - Billythefish 
    No Message - LORENZO Merry Christmas - Northernguy merry christmas.. a fellow fishnutter. - LORENZO merry christmas.. a fellow fishnutter. - LORENZO Merry X-Mas!! - The Red Severum 

0 Not allowed!
    Yeah, I was thinking if the heat is bumping up that much cooling efforts are warranted, which may include a chiller if other cheaper methods fail (or a cooler lighting system).
    Aquarist since 1995
    Biologist

0 Not allowed!
    If you have the money to shell out for one, the new LED systems are incredible. Extremely energy efficient and 0 heat transfer. Even better than that, they can be used to accurately simulate a day/night cycle and the phases of the moon.
    Considering a Marine Aquarium? A Breakdown of the Components, Live Rock, Cycling a Marine Tank

"The capacity to learn is a gift; The ability to learn is a skill; The WILLINGNESS to learn is a choice." - Unknown

Awards Showcase

0 Not allowed!
    No money for that, and I already ordered the Coralife T5 anyways. It will cost me about $35 or so.
    Aquarist since 1995
    Biologist

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by ILuvMyGoldBarb
    If you have the money to shell out for one, the new LED systems are incredible. Extremely energy efficient and 0 heat transfer. Even better than that, they can be used to accurately simulate a day/night cycle and the phases of the moon.

Any links to these systems? I would love to check one out.

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    My heater kicks on at 77.5 degrees and during the day the lights get me to a shade below 79 degrees.

BTW, I've done some reading (I can't remember where) that suggests temperature fluctuations on a reef are quite large varying 5-10 degrees in as little as an half an hour. So, I'm wondering where this notion of necessary consistency in our tanks came from? Or is my research just way off?

- Bill
    90G Reef Build Thread

90 Gallon Reef: Ocellaris Clowns, Midas Blenny, Ignitus Anthias, Various inverts
    20 Gallon SW Quarantine: Exquisite Wrasse
    10 Gallon SW Quarantine: Empty
    55 Gallon Community: Neon Tetras, Gold Neon Tetras, GloFish, Corydoras (paleatus & trilineatus), Otocinclus, Mollies, Platies, Apple Snails
    5 Gallon: Crowntail Betta, African Dwarf Frog

8. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Mine is at 82F but I might slowly notch it down to about 80F.

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by spudbuds
    ...I've done some reading (I can't remember where) that suggests temperature fluctuations on a reef are quite large varying 5-10 degrees in as little as an half an hour...
    Temperature flucuations indeed occur. Some gradual, others quite significant as you have mentioned. The fact that conditions vary at different reefs, and even at different depths at the same reef, and that corals are a diverse group with different levels of hardiness or sensitivity must be also considered.

Corals originating from reefs which routinely experience significant temperature fluctuations have adapted to those conditions, and are capable of adapting to even harsher conditions (such as being completely exposed to the air, tropical sun and even rain while out of the water for hours during low-tide conditions which occur on a routine basis). The effectiveness of these adaptions (including tolerance to temperature flucuation) tends to fade when those corals are removed from those environments.

Different types of corals have different types of tolerances, and even corals of the same species in different locales have different tolerances. As an example, the Australian Institute of Marine Science states, "corals at Magnetic Island in the central Great Barrier Reef can happily stand 30.5°C (87F) for 20 days, but just 90km away at Davies Reef, the same species of corals will bleach within a day and at Great Keppel Island in the southern Great Barrier Reef, they would be dead within a day."

Providing stable temperatures eliminates the possibility of temperature stress.
    Last edited by kaybee; 07-14-2008 at 04:32 AM.
    African cichlid and saltwater aquariums

http://www.rowelab.com/AquaControlle...9&scope=last24

10. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by oldhead
    Any links to these systems? I would love to check one out.
    Here is one that I found. http://www.drsfostersmith.com/produc...9&pcatid=18689 I was looking for one that i've seen online before that is really insane. It runs around $3,000 though so I won't have it for a long long time.