· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: DIY CO2-system

0 Not allowed!
    Oh okay. thanks

2. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I know that this is a bit of an old thread, but I have some general C02 questions......

Is the setup sold on bigals (or whatever the link was) too big for a 20 gallon long aquarium? I am lightly planted, but plan on going moderately planted pretty soon.

Also, I read that it's good to have an airpump running at night only when you have plants so that you still have plent of O2 in the tank for the fishies. Is adding a C02 system going to dramatically reduce the amount of O2 in my tank at night? Should I look into a larger air pump for night time use?

THANKS!
    20 Gallon Freshwater Community Tank

Awards Showcase

thanks for good advice - hobbs ROADTRIP! - Drumachine09 We'll need a case of these for the roadtrip, got the humvee waitin. lol - cocoa_pleco NO plants = Sour grapes  LOL - hobbs Wooden Spoon Protection! - Drumachine09 
    Cheers Buddy! I appreciate it! - slingham64 for coming to Hobbs aid again - Lady Hobbs for answering 300 stupid ?? without blinking - Lady Hobbs thanks for the plant help. A clovers the closest gift to a plant. lol - cocoa_pleco Agree to Disagree....kinda - Drumachine09 
    Thanks for the help! - holbritter all you need now is some chips and salsa then you will be set. - sergo R.I.P. Canadian - gm72 I can't eat anymore. - Drumachine09 For your generosity - aliz340 
    my clado will be swimming in pop! thanks again! - xoolooxunny Have a martini on me.  It's the least I could do to say thanks for all the help you've given me. - hungryhound for kindness amd generosity - Algenco Thanks for the help all the time! - zackish Love Your Posts--Your Very Knowledgeable! :) - MeganL3985 

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by willisrad
    I know that this is a bit of an old thread, but I have some general C02 questions......

Is the setup sold on bigals (or whatever the link was) too big for a 20 gallon long aquarium? I am lightly planted, but plan on going moderately planted pretty soon.

Also, I read that it's good to have an airpump running at night only when you have plants so that you still have plent of O2 in the tank for the fishies. Is adding a C02 system going to dramatically reduce the amount of O2 in my tank at night? Should I look into a larger air pump for night time use?

THANKS!
    You are better off making your own out of a soda bottle or a gallon juice jug. The nutrafin system.....is a bit of a ripoff imo. Plus, a 7 dollar glass diffuser will do a much better job than that bubble ladder, and won't be as much of an eyesore.

If you have healthy, growing plants, the water will be saturated with oxygen, and that amount will hold both the plants and the fish over until the light is back on again. You can run an air pump, but you need to put it on a timer to shut off and let the CO2 build up an hour before the lights go on. It's next to impossible to asphyxiate your fish with CO2 via a DIY yeast solution, so you don't need to worry about that. Just try it out. If you see fish gasping for air at night, then turn the air pump on
    Last edited by Chrona; 05-08-2007 at 01:10 PM.
    Foshizzle.

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Ok.
    Gonna go ahead and give this thing a shot!

How large of a bottle should I use?

I have seen a lot of different numbers. It's going to be for a 20 Gallon tank.

Also, is an airstone going to be suffiecient, or do I really need a glass diffuser?
    20 Gallon Freshwater Community Tank

Awards Showcase

thanks for good advice - hobbs ROADTRIP! - Drumachine09 We'll need a case of these for the roadtrip, got the humvee waitin. lol - cocoa_pleco NO plants = Sour grapes  LOL - hobbs Wooden Spoon Protection! - Drumachine09 
    Cheers Buddy! I appreciate it! - slingham64 for coming to Hobbs aid again - Lady Hobbs for answering 300 stupid ?? without blinking - Lady Hobbs thanks for the plant help. A clovers the closest gift to a plant. lol - cocoa_pleco Agree to Disagree....kinda - Drumachine09 
    Thanks for the help! - holbritter all you need now is some chips and salsa then you will be set. - sergo R.I.P. Canadian - gm72 I can't eat anymore. - Drumachine09 For your generosity - aliz340 
    my clado will be swimming in pop! thanks again! - xoolooxunny Have a martini on me.  It's the least I could do to say thanks for all the help you've given me. - hungryhound for kindness amd generosity - Algenco Thanks for the help all the time! - zackish Love Your Posts--Your Very Knowledgeable! :) - MeganL3985 

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by willisrad
    Ok.
    Gonna go ahead and give this thing a shot!

How large of a bottle should I use?

I have seen a lot of different numbers. It's going to be for a 20 Gallon tank.

Also, is an airstone going to be suffiecient, or do I really need a glass diffuser?
    A large juice jug will work great.

Glass diffusers not only work much much better, they look better too for a few bucks more. The bubbles are a tiny fraction of the size of normal airstone bubbles. You can use an airstone, but you need an additional way of chopping the bubbles up even more, like a powerhead or filter impeller. That means you have to position the airstone well, and because most airstones can blow bubbles from all sides, that gets to be hard to do as the stream of bubbles will change from time to time. I had my diffuser set up so the mini bubbles all went straight up into the intake of the HOB filter. Because I have a Aquaclear, the bubbles that don't dissolve right away get sucked and pushed upward through the sponge and filter floss, which guarantees pretty much 100% dissolve rate.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Nano-Co2-diffuse...QQcmdZViewItem

or you can probably get one by posting from: (this is where I got mine from, 7 bucks shipped)

http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/swap-n-shop/
    (you need to register first)
    Foshizzle.