Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: DIY CO2-system

1. Smile

0 Not allowed!
    Hey i wanted to know that to, thanx

0 Not allowed!
    You could go One, Two, Three........LOL

0 Not allowed!
    I was thinking about making this, but I'm not sure if I should follow your instuctions, this guy's instructions: http://www.hallman.org/plant/CO2.html, or a combo of the two.
    Any help and tips are appreciated!
    thanks!

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I have a yeast CO2 setup in my 110... I have the bubble tube running into the intake of a powerhead. This makes the bubbles very small and the float around in the water a lot longer, letting more of the CO2 get absorbed!! My plants have seemed to take off since I added it...
    --------------------------------------------------

1-110 gallon tank containing:
    3 Bala Sharks
    2 Silver Tip Sharks
    6 Tiger Barbs
    5 Long Fin Barbs
    2 Pink Kissing Gouramis
    2 Spotted Rubber Pleco
    All Live Plants

New 29 gallon tank Containing:
    2 Jack Dempseys

Man this is fun!!

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Incredulous_Ed
    I was thinking about making this, but I'm not sure if I should follow your instuctions, this guy's instructions: http://www.hallman.org/plant/CO2.html, or a combo of the two.
    Any help and tips are appreciated!
    thanks!
    It's basically the same thing, just slightly differently done, ie. bigger bottle, more mixture, using the filter to distribute it. It's simply a matter of how much you like to tinker with stuff =P

The idea with the bell in the first link is that the CO2 gets absorbed through the water inside the bell, instead of bubbles coming from a filter or an airstone that eventually make their way to the surface and vanish, hence less CO2 is "wasted".

Go with something you're comfortable with - if you don't feel like making a bell, use an airstone or a filter. Or buy one of the ready made spreaders. Or think of one yourself and test to see if it works :) The main thing is to keep the CO2 in the water for long enough to absorb as much of it as possible.

0 Not allowed!
    Well, I followed your instructions (kinda). You see, I don't use the metric system so the measurements were off by a little bit. and instead of building the bell, I just stuck the tube into the water. and instead of using a silicone sealent, I used rubber cement. at least it's air tight, right?

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I have no clue what rubber cement is, but as long as it's not harmful for fish and it's airtight it should work. You might want to consider putting atleast an airstone at the end of the tube to make the one big bubble into lots of small ones - more CO2 will be absorbed into the water that way.

8. Default

0 Not allowed!
    CO2 is great!!! My Anacharis have grown almost 1-1/2 inches in 4 days!!

As for the mixture I think the more sugar you put in the longer it will last... and the more yeast you put in the more CO2 that will be produced... I fill a 2 liter pop bottle up 1/2 with cold water, add 5 cups of sugar and one package of yeast (I think that's one teaspoon). I get about 2 bubbles a second into my powerhead. I change it every 14 days. It will last longer but the bubbles start to slow down and I want to keep it consistant. Keep 2 bottles... I have one that I mix it in and leave it with a tube in a glass of water until the bubbles start. This allows you to unhook the aquarium bottle for a short amount of time. I like to mix it in a container with a large mouth so I can get the ingredients in easier. Then use a funnel to transfer it to the 2 liter bottle. Piece of cake!! Sounds like a lot of work and it will be the first time but it's really easy after that. Just watch your PH. Mine dropped about .4 when I added it.

Wow I am rambling!!

Hope this helps!
    --------------------------------------------------

1-110 gallon tank containing:
    3 Bala Sharks
    2 Silver Tip Sharks
    6 Tiger Barbs
    5 Long Fin Barbs
    2 Pink Kissing Gouramis
    2 Spotted Rubber Pleco
    All Live Plants

New 29 gallon tank Containing:
    2 Jack Dempseys

Man this is fun!!

0 Not allowed!
    OK, I got the thing bubb;ing with an airstone on the end of the tube. I have a hang on back power filter. Is it better to place the end of the tube near the filter intake, or where all the water flows out?