· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: DIY CO2-system

0 Not allowed!
    bicorbonate of soda??????? What is that? Baking soda?

Nice to see you.

Default Making CO2 solution

0 Not allowed!
    Put 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon of yeast into the bottle with about a cup of warm water (bread yeast is fine). Some people have theorized that champaign or wine yeast should last longer (due to its ability to tolerate the alcohol generated from the brewing process), but recent tests reported on the net have not indicated any difference.
    Shake to mix the yeast well.**
    Add water to bring the solution up to 3/4 of the bottle.
    Add 1 to 2 cups of sugar and shake well. The amount of yeast and sugar will determine the rate and duration of CO2 generation. More yeast will result in stronger CO2 production, but will exhaust the sugar quicker. Using 1/4 teaspoon of yeast and 2 cups of sugar will result in CO2 production for about 4 to 5 weeks.
    In areas with soft water, some people recommend adding a teaspoon of baking soda to buffer the water and extend the life of the solution (prevent the acid formed by the brewing action from destroying the yeast prematurely).

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Over here people use gelatin to make the mixture last longer, although I'm unsure of the amounts and the specific procedure. Could look it up of course, if anyone is interested.

Oh and hobbs, bicarbonate of soda is baking powder unless I'm mistaken.

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Neithan
    Over here people use gelatin to make the mixture last longer, although I'm unsure of the amounts and the specific procedure. Could look it up of course, if anyone is interested.

Oh and hobbs, bicarbonate of soda is baking powder unless I'm mistaken.
    the gelatin method is used over here as well. and yes, you are correct, bicarbonate of soda is baking soda.--jeff
    Last edited by jeffs99dime; 12-19-2006 at 02:36 PM.

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffs99dime
    the gelatin method is used over here as well. and yes, you are correct, bicarbonate of soda is baking soda.--jeff
    Bicarbonate of sodium is, indeed, baking soda. Carefull, though, some manufacturers are adding some starch - this is ok for making bread, but this will make the mixture too foamy, and the foam will get into the tube, polluting your water.
    The pressure given by this type of generator, is not constant in time; in the first one-two days, it could be too high, after that it will be almost constant for a certain period. The purpose of the gelatin, used by some aquarists, is to avoid raising too fast the pressure. But, if you add too much gelatin, the mixture will become foamy. You could avoid the pressure building too fast, by adjusting the initial quantity of yeast - and this, only by trials, the conditions are very different for each aquarist - temp, water hardness, ph, etc.

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    o i was about to say what the? Baking soda lol

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    How Can I count, how many bubbles are going to my tank?, I mean there's most be a limit or some, I've using an Hagen System works pretty good, but now they I seen this one, I want to make for my 15gal. how can I count the bubbles then??

xD

PD. One more thing wich is the lowest tempeture to the CO2 to be produced?
    Last edited by alien; 12-21-2006 at 04:08 AM.
    Live and Let Die

8. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by alien
    How Can I count, how many bubbles are going to my tank?, I mean there's most be a limit or some, I've using an Hagen System works pretty good, but now they I seen this one, I want to make for my 15gal. how can I count the bubbles then??

xD

I've never bothered to count bubbles, mainly because the yeast mixture I do is a rather slow bubbler. If you want to count them, I suggest getting one of the commercial spreaders with spirals and stuff in them and just attach that to the DIY-bottle. Or you could do a washing bottle and count how many bubbles goes in there. Since 15 gallons is a rather small tank, use a small amount of mixture.

Lowest temperature for a successfull fermentation is somewhere around 20 degrees celsius - if you can get a yeast dough to rise there should be no problems with the yeast mixture either.

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by alien

xD

one way is with a bubble counter. most of the "bought c02 units have them built in

10. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I'll keep that on mind thanks and I'll let you know how the system worked

xD
    Live and Let Die