· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Default Please help identify this cichlid.

0 Not allowed!
    Just cant figure it out. So i figured i would ask you guys.

P.S. = This was an extra tank i put him in when i was changing his substrate in his permanent home.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Aquariums: Click Here

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

congrats on MOTM! - Jacko   Another round for my friends - mommy1   Another day, another round for my friends. - mommy1   After all that virtual alcohol it's time to sober up with some virtual food - mommy1   Thanks for your kind words in my blog, it really dose help - Cliff   
    Emphysema - Lung Cancer - Lung Disease - Multiple Sclerosis - The Red Severum   Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - The Red Severum   World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - The Red Severum   Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - The Red Severum   HIV/AIDS - The Red Severum   

0 Not allowed!
    I think he might be a acei (spl) maybe i see them at petsmart when i go.. i am not 100 % sure..

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

for a fellow front lover - sailor   All the saltwater help! - squirt_12   Thanks! - squirt_12   For the million fish man - Lady Hobbs   Excellent puffer advice. - Brookfish   

0 Not allowed!
    Yes, pseudotropheus acei is correct. One of the more mellow mbuna species.
    African cichlid and saltwater aquariums

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

congrats on MOTM! - Jacko   Another round for my friends - mommy1   Another day, another round for my friends. - mommy1   After all that virtual alcohol it's time to sober up with some virtual food - mommy1   Thanks for your kind words in my blog, it really dose help - Cliff   
    Emphysema - Lung Cancer - Lung Disease - Multiple Sclerosis - The Red Severum   Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - The Red Severum   World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - The Red Severum   Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - The Red Severum   HIV/AIDS - The Red Severum   

0 Not allowed!
    ok whew.. thank lord for petSmart

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

you looked a little bare - Algenco   I enjoy reading your threads/posts! :) - MeganL3985   In memory of Mindi - crackatinny   Goodluck with your paper :) - MeganL3985   Always a very nice poster - Lady Hobbs   
    World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - ladyoutlaw50   Aphasia - Asthma/Allergies - Brain Cancer - Brain Tumors - Diabetes - Mental Illness - ladyoutlaw50   Myasthenia Gravis - Ovarian Cancer - Sexual Assault - Substance Abuse - ladyoutlaw50   Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - ladyoutlaw50   Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - ladyoutlaw50   

0 Not allowed!
    He sure is a nice looking fish!!!
    Kim

"Say what you mean and
    Mean what you say"

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Merry Christmas - Abbeys_Mom   Great advice thanks - nraposa   Thanks for helping me with my cichlids - Drumachine09   Always good answers - Lady Hobbs   You dont have enough gifts. - Drumachine09   

0 Not allowed!
    Yes, acei. One of the few popular mbunas that don't have that familiar blunt, rounded mbuna face.
    Aquarist since 1995
    Biologist and Published Author in Multiple Aquarium Magazines
    Owner: Aquarium Maintenance Company
    Advanced Aquarium Concepts: Articles about many aspects of aquarium care.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Wishing You A Happy New Year!!! - Jill   Happy New year - Celtic Fins   May the Anti troll force be with you. - Celtic Fins   2001 posts! - Northernguy   For your helpful fry advice - Cliff   

0 Not allowed!
    It may be a rare vampire fish, notice the lack of a reflection?

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Tanks for sharing our hobby - Boertjie   Congrats on new tank and severum - Lady Hobbs   for rescuing the betta! - cocoa_pleco   For being my life partner - Boertjie   for being so good to our underwater friends! - ladyoutlaw50   
    Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - Gemstone   

0 Not allowed!
    whatever it is he sure is pretty...(and no....befor u ask...I dont want him....some guppy or something will probably fetlilise him here...no more babies thanks)

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by kaybee
    Yes, pseudotropheus acei is correct. One of the more mellow mbuna species.
    Thanks everyone! He is one of my favoite fish i have. Personality is crazy. Dances for food, likes to be held (not outside of the water) and petted. Kind of wierd. he even gets upset with me if i dont feed him at the right time.

Edit: Is there anyway to tell if he/she is male or female? Or do they have to be larger in size?
    I have read something about egg sacks but i dont know exactly how you tell that either.
    Last edited by KlugSRT-4; 07-11-2008 at 09:57 PM.
    Aquariums: Click Here

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

for a fellow front lover - sailor   All the saltwater help! - squirt_12   Thanks! - squirt_12   For the million fish man - Lady Hobbs   Excellent puffer advice. - Brookfish   

0 Not allowed!
    Being a monomorphic mbuna species, both genders of acei's are highly similar even when full grown (6")

There are very subtle differences. The males have slightly pointier dorsal and anal fin tips and the pelvic fins are slightly proportionally longer than those of the females. Genders of sub-adult acei's are hard to ID. Your's "might" be a male.

Determining gender becomes easier when you have multiple acei's because you can take behavioral patterns into account.

Also they're egg spots, not egg sacs. The presence or quantity of eggspots aren't a gender indicator.
    African cichlid and saltwater aquariums