· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Default Bala sharks, new tank

0 Not allowed!
    I just picked up a 80 gal tank, The pet store sold me 4 bala sharks but it sounds like I will need to get a bigger tank. for now they are only 2in and seem happy. How fast do they grow?
    Also 2 of them have started swimming stuck together and hip check each other is this normal?

Other fish in the tank are 5 dwarf gouramies, 1 red tail shark and a knife fish.
    Sounds like I should have done more reading and less trusting of the pet store.
    Thanks.

0 Not allowed!
    I hate to tell you this, but you are correct when you say you will need a bigger tank for for your sharks. Below is some info on them.

http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/fish/balashark.php

Have you cycled your tank ?
    If you take your time to do the research FIRST, you can successfully set-up and keep ANY type of aquarium with ease.
    "Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo
    Fishless Cycle Cycling with Fish Marine Aquarium Info [URL="http://saltwater.aquaticcommunity.com/"]

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I have a great relationship with my local fish store owner i kept 4 balas for over a year in a 50 gal when they got too big i traded. i like them a lot but they do get pretty big.

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I've only had them 3 weeks now and all the levels are ok, so no cycle as of yet.

0 Not allowed!
    If you have fish in your tank, your tank is cycling.

There is a link in my sig to the cycling with fish thread here that you might find helpful
    If you take your time to do the research FIRST, you can successfully set-up and keep ANY type of aquarium with ease.
    "Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo
    Fishless Cycle Cycling with Fish Marine Aquarium Info [URL="http://saltwater.aquaticcommunity.com/"]

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    if they can last a year in a 50gal tank that will give me plenty of time to get a larger tank.

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    they did for me but i got them really tiny like 1 in

8. Default

0 Not allowed!
    ok, i thought a cycle was cleaning the tank and changing the water. I was given a syphon tube and told to clean the bottom with it and change 20% of the water once a month.

9. Default

0 Not allowed!
    cycle is the nitrogen cycle/ heathly bacteria build up by feeding on ammonia

0 Not allowed!
    IMO, you were given less than good information. Most people change around 50% of the water once each week while cleaning at least some of the bottom of the tank while doing it.

I would suggest getting a good quality liquid test kit and following the steps in the cycling with fish thread