· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Thanks for the write-ups. DO you have any extra advice/info for Synodontis aterrimus?

0 Not allowed!
    What do you wish to know, Commodore64?
    When a finger points to the moon, the imbecile looks at the finger.

Omnia mutantur nihil interit.

The more you read, the more things you will know. The more that you learn, the more places you'll go

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Well, I'm not sure really. You may remember the Synodontis catfish that my wife brought home about a month ago with horrific fin rot. They have recovered nicely and are are growing like weeds. All of their fins have grown back.

Having asked her to bring home a couple cories, I wasn't quite prepared for Upside-Down catfish, which I understand can get pretty large. Now I have two of them in a 55g.

One of them eats like a pig. It gets so bloated that its pectoral fins can't touch the substrate...and I don't think it is constipation...because it seems to unbloat by morning, every day. I think it just eats a metric ton of food. We call it "fatty". They both hide a lot, and spend most of their time upside-down.

I've been trying for the past few days to get a couple good pics of them, but I just can't get the camera to focus on them, when they are hiding under my driftwood or rock cave.

4. Exclamation Green Syno?

0 Not allowed!
    Hello all!

I've bee trying to identify the specific (or near to it) species of Syno that I just lost due to the negligence and incompetence of a Pet Sitter I hired (also lost was my 33" Tire Track Eel, and my prized T.Natans "Rubber Eel"!!!)

He was a fairly solid deep "leaf" green syno, similar to a Euruptus, but much fatter his "spots" were much more subtle, and his main horizontal whiskers were VERY thick - but he was about the same size 6"+/-.

He's the only one of his kind that I've ever found in my LFSs and I've had him almost 10yrs.

He was definitely not a Nigrita.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

--- Adam

5. Question The closest I can find ...

0 Not allowed!
    Seems to be the Synodontis hollyi

From pics at http://acsi.acnatsci.org/base/taxonomic_species.html#S

Also similar is the Synodontis violaceus

Does anyone know if/where either of these can be purchased??? Or if there is another one similar to them?

Thanks!!!

0 Not allowed!
    What's the dorsal fin look like, dragon? Eupterus can grow to be leafy green like that, but the dorsal is diagnostic.
    I know hollyi and vemiculata, the correct species name for your other fish, haven't, so you're out of luck there. It's quite possible that the fish you saw was a contaminant in a shipment of Synodontis cats. It happens. It could also have been a man-made hybrid, an unfortunate occurrence.

Dave

The more you read, the more things you will know. The more that you learn, the more places you'll go

7. Default Dorsal

0 Not allowed!
    Dorsal fin was pretty much the same - what distinguished it from the Euruptus' was the coloring and the very thick horizontal whiskers. It was also bulkier.

0 Not allowed!
    dave what should be my main diet for my syn. petricola

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by The Red Severum
    dave what should be my main diet for my syn. petricola
    They will eat whatever you give them, Red, as they discriminate on foods not a bit, though of course you will have your eye toward nutrition. You can use a good sinking catfish pellet, like Hikari's, for the staple, but a lot of their diet should be frozen worms and crustaceans, like blood and Tubifex worms, and Mysis shrimp. Get the frozen Mysis that are the freshwater species so your catfish won't have to void the salt. They'll even eat freeze dried food if you soak them before feeding so they'll sink. I soak mine in Kent Zoe, personally.
    You can use a vegetative pellet several times a week as they do like plant debris.
    So prepared foods sinking catfish pellets & a vegetative pellet, and a few frozen foods and your set. About three or four times a day, little meals. They'll have no trouble wiping out the food in under 30 seconds, believe me.

Dave

Across the great pond from the state of Seattle

Awards Showcase

have an octopus - angelcakes a clownfish for your super sense of humor!!!! - ladyoutlaw50 doning the superman suit - Lady Hobbs Let's have a Drink ;) - Fishalicious For the wife! - Lady Hobbs 
    thanks buddy for your help - angelcakes somebody gotta show you love :) - The Red Severum Thanks for all your help with my cherries!! Crawfish was the closest to a CS - Gemini Thanks for the photo lesson! - northernguy Have a drink on me.. hope tomorrow is a better day x - Fishalicious 
    welcome back! - Jacko 

0 Not allowed!
    Aww crap more I have to read and that is gonna make me want more fish which means I have to go find more fish tanks....

Dave stop it already would ya.... ;-)
    This posting was approved by:
    William S. Burt

All words in this post are completly fictional, any resemblence to actual words is strictly a cowinky dink. No Animals were harmed in the making of this post. Now as far as Humans go there were probably a few hurt and maybe even killed. Please do not copy and paste this post with out the expressed written consent of the owner. Quoting is allowed but only too boost the owners already over inflated ego.