· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Latest gifts & ribbons:

for your bass! - cocoa_pleco   merry christmas - cocoa_pleco   

Default Pleco Growth rate

0 Not allowed!
    I have read stories from certain people and places that plecos tend to grow big and grow fast. How true is this ??

The reason I ask is because I have had a pleco now for over one year and he doesn't seem to have grown at all.

Here's a photo of him....he's about 4 inches long.

Largemouth Bass and Pleco in a 138 Gallon Tank

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

tribute to digga r.i.p - angelcakes   Your Awesome! - Tolley   happy easter to me........LOL - angelcakes   Thank you for the nomination and sorry for the fishy - Billythefish   Probably the nicest members on the forum... - Goshawk   
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - angelcakes   HIV/AIDS - angelcakes   

0 Not allowed!
    it is true pleco grow fast depending on what diet you give them,more fatty foods eg tubifex, oily pellets and meat such as prawns increase there growth rate,flakes algea wafers and vegtables eg cucumber will keep them at a slow but manageable growth rate.my pleco is now 12-14 inches long
    angelcakes (penny)
    "The big fish eats the small one."
    -- Sephardic saying

chat link
    http://theaquaticlounge.chatango.com/

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Member of the month, a toast is in order. - Strider199   Sorry about your blood parrot :-( - ~firefly~   For this; http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aquariumforum/showthread.php?t=111325 - Strider199   :-) - ~firefly~   Happy mother's day! Enjoy one on me LOL - imma24   
    Childhood Cancer - hobbs   World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - hobbs   Myasthenia Gravis - Ovarian Cancer - Sexual Assault - Substance Abuse - Lady Hobbs   Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - Lady Hobbs   Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - Lady Hobbs   

0 Not allowed!
    I can't tell a pleco hardly from some of the other catfish species. They look very much the same in some ways. I have featherfins that will top out at maybe 8 inches........close to 6 now.......but there are so many different species of catfish. Is yours a common pleco? I don't know what their growth rate is per year.

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Lady Hobbs
    I can't tell a pleco hardly from some of the other catfish species. They look very much the same in some ways. I have featherfins that will top out at maybe 8 inches........close to 6 now.......but there are so many different species of catfish. Is yours a common pleco? I don't know what their growth rate is per year.
    I'm not sure kind of pleco it is....I posted the photo in this thread in the hope that somebody here could tell me

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

have a gift for cheering me up!!! - angelcakes   It's a ribbon stand in! - Rue   for all the frog help thanks mate - angelcakes   A small gift - William   good 2 see you back - angelcakes   

0 Not allowed!
    Angelcakes has it all sorted, i dont feed my pleco i just let it eat the green slime off the glass and it gets the odd flak that the other fish dont eat, a big pleco needs a big tank and thay sure get moody when thay are 1ft+ can be tank smashers! Looks like a sailfin pleco to me
    Last edited by Billythefish; 06-21-2008 at 01:04 PM.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

tribute to digga r.i.p - angelcakes   Your Awesome! - Tolley   happy easter to me........LOL - angelcakes   Thank you for the nomination and sorry for the fishy - Billythefish   Probably the nicest members on the forum... - Goshawk   
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - angelcakes   HIV/AIDS - angelcakes   

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Billythefish
    Angelcakes has it all sorted, i dont feed my pleco i just let it eat the green slime off the glass and it gets the odd flak that the other fish dont eat, a big pleco needs a big tank and thay sure get moody when thay are 1ft+ can be tank smashers! Looks like a sailfin pleco to me
    they need for a large pleco a good sized tank 6-8 ft is best.......i agree , sail fin if this is the case then these dont grow as big as a common pleco.these will grow to about 12 inches and then there abouts stop growing,
    angelcakes (penny)
    "The big fish eats the small one."
    -- Sephardic saying

chat link
    http://theaquaticlounge.chatango.com/

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Happy New Year - MeganL3985   Welcome back! lol - Northernguy   

0 Not allowed!
    Wow that a nice looking fish. It looks a lot bigger than four inches in the picture. How big is you bass since it hasn't eaten you pleco?

(I'm not saying he will eat him but a bass will eat anything that he can fit in his mouth, sorta like a catfish)
    -10g-
    3 Red Tail Rasbora
    2 Pristella maxillaris
    2 Velvet Swords

-.5g Bowl-
    Empty

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Thanks for all your answer and help.

Quote Originally Posted by mp3rp
    Wow that a nice looking fish. It looks a lot bigger than four inches in the picture. How big is you bass since it hasn't eaten you pleco?

(I'm not saying he will eat him but a bass will eat anything that he can fit in his mouth, sorta like a catfish)

Thanks. That photo was a very close up shot.
    My bass is around 11 ~ 12 inches and they both get on really well, I think that's because the pleco was in the tank before the bass. I would say that my pleco would be able to fit in my bass's mouth (just), but he seems to have no intention to eat my pleco.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

you look a little bare - angelcakes   have a tetra! - cocoa_pleco   sorry for your loss - Gemstone   Active! - Wild Turkey   Active! - Wild Turkey   

0 Not allowed!
    Its a nice pleco...my guess is that its a common pleco and if that is the case then they tend to grow really big
    It is better to reign in hell than to serve in heaven

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Thanks, so if it is a common pleco, how come it hasn't grown in the last 12 months ??

What is the growth rate for a common pleco....??