· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Largemouth Bass

1. Default Largemouth Bass

0 Not allowed!
    Hello all, I'm a new guy around here.

I have a 138 gallon plastic tank and keep a largemouth bass which I've had for just over one year.

Does anybody else have/or had largemouth Bass ?? ?? ?? ??

I'll post some photos soon
    Largemouth Bass and Pleco in a 138 Gallon Tank

2. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Bass get big,they are very territorial and I wouldnt think a 138 gal tank is big enough.Is that all you keep in there?

0 Not allowed!
    I currently have young of the year bluegill and green sunfish. Hopefully someday i can upgrade to a bass, not in the cards right now though. Have you checked out NANFA.org, and their message boards? They are dedicated to the keeping of native fish in tanks, you might find some good info there.

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by smaug
    Bass get big,they are very territorial and I wouldnt think a 138 gal tank is big enough.Is that all you keep in there?
    Yes, I only keep one bass, but I also have one small pleco that keeps the place nice and clean. I occasionally put some crawfish in with him, but as you can imagine, these don't last very long

Since my bass is a 'boy' his growth rate shouldn't be as fast as a female bass and right now he is around 11 ~ 12 inches.

I currently have young of the year bluegill and green sunfish. Hopefully someday i can upgrade to a bass, not in the cards right now though. Have you checked out NANFA.org, and their message boards? They are dedicated to the keeping of native fish in tanks, you might find some good info there.
    I was thinking about putting a bluegill in the tank with my bass, but I think that would be a disaster from the beginning.

Awards Showcase

For doing such good research!! - Rue hehe. - Tolley nascar prize - sailor Happy Birthday! - squirt_12 For rescuing feeders!  Way to go! - Rue 
    Thanks for the rep! - robnepper To the only guy to quote himself! - Mr.Prototype Thinking of Noah & your family xxx - Fishalicious For your 1 year at AC xxx - Fishalicious Not enough gifts - The Red Severum 
    you need more! - The Red Severum one more! - The Red Severum won the lottery with your donation, had to buy you a beer - mrs fishpatrick Time for another round! - northernguy A round of gifts for my friends at ac! - Wild Turkey 
    Here's one on the house, Nick. - robnepper Merry Christmas - Northernguy Thanks!! - Wild Turkey your info has been great the last couple of days - The Red Severum I appreciate your generousity! - Brookfish 
    Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - NickFish Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - NickFish Childhood Cancer - NickFish Cesarean Sections - Headaches - Hospice Care - Multiple Myeloma - NickFish 

0 Not allowed!
    I know someone who keeps bass, and he would never put one in anything less than 200g. That and the pleco, I think you should be aiming for something at least 250g, preferably larger though but 250 could work with good filtration. Yours will eventually double in size if given the right size tank.

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I appreciate all your comments guys.

Here's a few shots of my tank and it's inhabitants.....

0 Not allowed!
    If it is a male bass, i wouldn't worry about it getting too much bigger, they tend to slow down as the females really start to get big. I have never seen a male bass in 12 years of fishing that is bigger than around 14 inches. If you wanted to add a sunfish, bluegill are a bad idea, they get pushed around. I would get a green sunfish, they can get to about ten inches, and they are scrappy! They are fun to watch and aggressive. If he gets to a comparable size to the Largie, you may actually have to worry about the LMB, not the green. Thats my two cents anyway.

8. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by pes142
    If it is a male bass, i wouldn't worry about it getting too much bigger, they tend to slow down as the females really start to get big. I have never seen a male bass in 12 years of fishing that is bigger than around 14 inches. If you wanted to add a sunfish, bluegill are a bad idea, they get pushed around. I would get a green sunfish, they can get to about ten inches, and they are scrappy! They are fun to watch and aggressive. If he gets to a comparable size to the Largie, you may actually have to worry about the LMB, not the green. Thats my two cents anyway.

Yea, he might stop growing in length, but he's getting rounder.
    Unfortunately here in Korea, I don't think I can get any green sunfish, but there is an abundance of bluegill, sometimes I will go fly fishing for them.
    I don't think I will add any more fish into the tank though.

Here's some more photos.....

0 Not allowed!
    you have a nice tank and nice fish
    angelcakes (penny)
    "The big fish eats the small one."
    -- Sephardic saying

chat link
    http://theaquaticlounge.chatango.com/

0 Not allowed!
    Just out of curiosity, how long does a crayfish last in that tank? I would guess not very long! I think it would be cool to watch a bass eat a crayfish, i have never seen that.