· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: SAE or Oto?

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Congrats!!!!! - Gayle   Congrats on your degree! - fins_n_fur   Congratulations on your award - Celtic Fins   Merry Christmas - Northernguy   

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by ILuvMyGoldBarb
    No, 3 won't do an entire 110, I'd throw in at least 7 more. How bad is the algae in the tank? Is it taking over the tank or is it just a small amount? As smaug pointed out, a small amount is normal, but it should completely overrun the tank, that isn't normal and that can be avoided.

It's not bad. I think i had a time where it did get kinda bad and i just haven't pruned a lot of the leaves that got it bad. So i've got new growth on top of decaying leaves that should be taken out.

Then i have a little fuzz algae i brush off my driftwood every week and the usual algae on the glass but it isn't that bad.

I guess what it comes down to is i need better growth to combat it or something to help eliminate it.

I've also got my 65w CF that went on my old 30g that isn't being used. I just don't know if i need more or less light or more/less time of lighting.
    Last edited by PUNISHER VETTE; 06-22-2008 at 02:10 AM.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Thanks for the nice post - Lady Hobbs   a gift your you! - squirt_12   beautiful blue discus - Algenco   felt like it - Lady Hobbs   for all the help! - squirt_12   
    Alzheimer's - Crohn's & Colitis - Cystic Fibrosis - Domestic Violence - Fibromyalgia - Leimyosarcoma - Lupus - ILuvMyGoldBarb   Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - ILuvMyGoldBarb   Graves Disease - Lymphedema - Men's Health - Pro Choice - Prostate Cancer - Scleroderma - Thyroid Disease - Trisomy 18 - ILuvMyGoldBarb   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - ILuvMyGoldBarb   Male Breast Cancer - Pregnancy Loss - Infant Loss - Sudden Infant Death - ILuvMyGoldBarb   

0 Not allowed!
    I think you've got it, you need better growth out of what you have. It would be nice to get an updated picture from the one you entered in TOTM. If you could post them in the same post it would be great, then we would have a rough idea of what kind of growth you are getting.
    Considering a Marine Aquarium? A Breakdown of the Components, Live Rock, Cycling a Marine Tank

"The capacity to learn is a gift; The ability to learn is a skill; The WILLINGNESS to learn is a choice." - Unknown

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Congrats!!!!! - Gayle   Congrats on your degree! - fins_n_fur   Congratulations on your award - Celtic Fins   Merry Christmas - Northernguy   

0 Not allowed!
    I think you've got it, you need better growth out of what you have. It would be nice to get an updated picture from the one you entered in TOTM. If you could post them in the same post it would be great, then we would have a rough idea of what kind of growth you are getting.
    Here you go.
    Picture of the month picture when the tank was about 1month old. Red/white plant on the left was new and still had it's color, vals in the back right were also new and ended up dying.

And here it is now at about 4months old. 2nd picture was about a month after the first. And the last two are from about last week. The last picture was taken during the day and looks much worse then normal as i could make it look better if it was at night.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    In the last picture you can see the hygrophila of the right and it's leaves on the bottom that didn't make it through the algae period, front chain swords put out a leave at about the same period that the bottom leaves get covered in algae and die. compared to when i got it. It put out tons of runners which are what you see in the tank but non look like what the first one i got did.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Thanks for the nice post - Lady Hobbs   a gift your you! - squirt_12   beautiful blue discus - Algenco   felt like it - Lady Hobbs   for all the help! - squirt_12   
    Alzheimer's - Crohn's & Colitis - Cystic Fibrosis - Domestic Violence - Fibromyalgia - Leimyosarcoma - Lupus - ILuvMyGoldBarb   Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - ILuvMyGoldBarb   Graves Disease - Lymphedema - Men's Health - Pro Choice - Prostate Cancer - Scleroderma - Thyroid Disease - Trisomy 18 - ILuvMyGoldBarb   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - ILuvMyGoldBarb   Male Breast Cancer - Pregnancy Loss - Infant Loss - Sudden Infant Death - ILuvMyGoldBarb   

0 Not allowed!
    You do seem to have slow growth, I think you were right, if you can increase the CO2 then you will give you plants the ability to take advantage of the extra ferts in there right now. You have a good substrate and you are dosing so you should be getting better growth. See if you can increase the CO2 a bit. Do it slowly though and watch your pH.
    Considering a Marine Aquarium? A Breakdown of the Components, Live Rock, Cycling a Marine Tank

"The capacity to learn is a gift; The ability to learn is a skill; The WILLINGNESS to learn is a choice." - Unknown

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Default Update

0 Not allowed!
    I went to the LFS today and asked about SAE's and they didn't know but he pointed to what they usually sell for planted aquarium algae removal and they were otto's. Guy said i should get 5 for my tank and that they wouldn't get much bigger so i ended up getting 4 not trusting this guy very much.

So far they just sit there but i'll give them some time. Maybe they're just sizing up their task.

I also got some phos-X that goes in my Fluval to eliminate phosphates. It also tackles nitrites and nitrates but i can always add more of that if needed. Right now i need to get the phosphates under control i think.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

A poor sub for your Betta - Nick_Pavlovski   Here's a ram for ya - Lady Hobbs   
    Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - Carlos_x3   

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by PUNISHER VETTE
    I went to the LFS today and asked about SAE's and they didn't know but he pointed to what they usually sell for planted aquarium algae removal and they were otto's. Guy said i should get 5 for my tank and that they wouldn't get much bigger so i ended up getting 4 not trusting this guy very much.

So far they just sit there but i'll give them some time. Maybe they're just sizing up their task.

I also got some phos-X that goes in my Fluval to eliminate phosphates. It also tackles nitrites and nitrates but i can always add more of that if needed. Right now i need to get the phosphates under control i think.
    Goodluck with the Otos, maybe they work out for you but mine always die on me. My Amano shrimp do a great job on the algae. lfs's here sell CAE's under the "sucker fish" name maybe its the same where you are.

And don't plants need phosphate?
    30g Long Planted South American BioTope Blue Rams & Apisto + Community
    Formerly Carlos_x3, RamGuy13

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    RamGuy is correct, your plants need the phosphates. Unless your phosphates are way out of control you don't need the Phos-x. What are you dosing with right now? Depends on what you are dosing with, you may actually be adding phosphates to the tank.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    RamGuy is correct, your plants need the phosphates. Unless your phosphates are way out of control you don't need the Phos-x. What are you dosing with right now? Depends on what you are dosing with, you may actually be adding phosphates to the tank.
    I have dry ferts to dose for phosphates but ever since i used that Seachem neutral pH stuff it's been way too high.

It goes straight off the charts on my test kit so i need to get it back down to 0 and work from there and be able to keep it under control.