· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: SAE or Oto?

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Thanks for the nice post - Lady Hobbs   a gift your you! - squirt_12   beautiful blue discus - Algenco   felt like it - Lady Hobbs   for all the help! - squirt_12   
    Alzheimer's - Crohn's & Colitis - Cystic Fibrosis - Domestic Violence - Fibromyalgia - Leimyosarcoma - Lupus - ILuvMyGoldBarb   Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - ILuvMyGoldBarb   Graves Disease - Lymphedema - Men's Health - Pro Choice - Prostate Cancer - Scleroderma - Thyroid Disease - Trisomy 18 - ILuvMyGoldBarb   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - ILuvMyGoldBarb   Male Breast Cancer - Pregnancy Loss - Infant Loss - Sudden Infant Death - ILuvMyGoldBarb   

0 Not allowed!
    Also wanted to add, if that statement is true, then every time you have a nutrient deficiency in one element then you would also be over run with algae at the same time, however that is not the case. My 125 had a potassium deficiency at one point but there was not a spot of algae in the tank, why? Simple, the plants were still using the rest of the nutrients. I increased the amount of potassium I was dosing and the problem was solved. I strongly suspect the answer to PV's problem lies in a lack CO2.
    Considering a Marine Aquarium? A Breakdown of the Components, Live Rock, Cycling a Marine Tank

"The capacity to learn is a gift; The ability to learn is a skill; The WILLINGNESS to learn is a choice." - Unknown

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Thanks for the quote - **AquaQueen**   Message for you sir! - Aeonflame   

0 Not allowed!
    I agree with ILMGB on his points.In the past my plants have suffered from many single point deficiency's,all of which have been remedied.I do not agree with the conclusion of ,if you have algae in your tank you must have a problem.Having algae does not necessarily mean a problem at all,algae is a natural conclusion in most tanks,I have very small amounts of it as has every tank I have ever seen.Unless PV has large amounts of it I say algae eaters of some sort, be it ottos or sae are a very logical solution.I say this as a plant/fish keeper who uses no injected co2 at all.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Congrats!!!!! - Gayle   Congrats on your degree! - fins_n_fur   Congratulations on your award - Celtic Fins   Merry Christmas - Northernguy   

0 Not allowed!
    I'll pick up a CO2 test kit today at the LFS if i go....it's raining and i don't want to get my car wet :(

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

You need a gift - MeganL3985   Heres another one :) - MeganL3985   good job on the severum! - MCHRKiller   Have a Cory lol - KingFisher   This is for the REAL  Slimy. - KingFisher   

0 Not allowed!
    His problem could very well be lack of co2. I'm not arguing that.

I don't want to derail the thread to much, but you can look at this map and read the blurb on the right side as an example. Or search tom barr's site for similar information, or look at steve dixon articles.

http://www.finostrom.com.gr/images/a...lizers/map.htm

Plant nutrients are not like cheeseburger, coke, desserts for you. Uptake of one nutrient is dependent on uptake of another nutrient or more, that's just how plants work. And in fact that's why deficiencies are so easily misinterpreted. They hardly ever show up only one at a time and several of them show the same symptoms.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    I do believe the point that is being made to you by myself and GB is that we have both experienced single deficiency's,I have experienced it with potassium at one point and nitrates as of late .It is not rare at all to be deficient with one nutrient and still have very good growth.You may not have found this to be so in your experiences but I have.I don't think this derails the thread at all,it adds to PBS options and increases everyones knowledge.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

You need a gift - MeganL3985   Heres another one :) - MeganL3985   good job on the severum! - MCHRKiller   Have a Cory lol - KingFisher   This is for the REAL  Slimy. - KingFisher   

0 Not allowed!
    When I read his post I used the E.I. dosing schedule as a reference. Following it, it seems that with 3wpg and co2 injection he has a high tech tank, but he is dosing on a low tech/low light schedule. That was the basis of my thinking.

Basically, the reason I mentioned lack of fertilizers is because with 3wpg he is dosing very rarely compared to the E.I. dosing method. I mentioned derailing in the sense that this shouldn't be a thread about whether nutrient uptake reates are dependent on each other or not and I don't want to go down that path too far here.

I'm not arguing with anyone in terms of a possible solution. I think everyone offered viable solutions that are worth considering. I'm just trying to give him more options. If controlling and fixing co2 does not solve his problem, I would take a look at nutrient availability and switch to E.I. dosing for three to four weeks to see if things improve.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Slimy
    When I read his post I used the E.I. dosing schedule as a reference. Following it, it seems that with 3wpg and co2 injection he has a high tech tank, but he is dosing on a low tech/low light schedule. That was the basis of my thinking.

Basically, the reason I mentioned lack of fertilizers is because with 3wpg he is dosing very rarely compared to the E.I. dosing method. I mentioned derailing in the sense that this shouldn't be a thread about whether nutrient uptake reates are dependent on each other or not and I don't want to go down that path too far here.

I'm not arguing with anyone in terms of a possible solution. I think everyone offered viable solutions that are worth considering. I'm just trying to give him more options. If controlling and fixing co2 does not solve his problem, I would take a look at nutrient availability and switch to E.I. dosing for three to four weeks to see if things improve.
    that kind of advise is certainly welcome by all,plant troubles can certainly be tricky to diagnose at times.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Congrats!!!!! - Gayle   Congrats on your degree! - fins_n_fur   Congratulations on your award - Celtic Fins   Merry Christmas - Northernguy   

0 Not allowed!
    No test kit for CO2 or even any SAE's that i saw at my LFS.

I'm just deciding if i really need it or not. I was thinking maybe i should just get a few more Amano algae eating shrimp. I have 3 that have done well but i'm pretty sure 3 isn't enough for a 110g tank.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    I just remembered. I'm probably not at my 3wpg and haven't been in a while.

I've got my CF 260w on for 12h a day but i also have 2 grow lights(T5s at 18w each) that i haven't used in a while because i thought i was getting algae with them more.

Wonder if i would get better growth of my plants with the grow lights on?....
    I could probably turn the all the lights on but only for 10hours a day or something.

What do you all think is a good combo?

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Thanks for the nice post - Lady Hobbs   a gift your you! - squirt_12   beautiful blue discus - Algenco   felt like it - Lady Hobbs   for all the help! - squirt_12   
    Alzheimer's - Crohn's & Colitis - Cystic Fibrosis - Domestic Violence - Fibromyalgia - Leimyosarcoma - Lupus - ILuvMyGoldBarb   Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - ILuvMyGoldBarb   Graves Disease - Lymphedema - Men's Health - Pro Choice - Prostate Cancer - Scleroderma - Thyroid Disease - Trisomy 18 - ILuvMyGoldBarb   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - ILuvMyGoldBarb   Male Breast Cancer - Pregnancy Loss - Infant Loss - Sudden Infant Death - ILuvMyGoldBarb   

0 Not allowed!
    No, 3 won't do an entire 110, I'd throw in at least 7 more. How bad is the algae in the tank? Is it taking over the tank or is it just a small amount? As smaug pointed out, a small amount is normal, but it should completely overrun the tank, that isn't normal and that can be avoided.
    Considering a Marine Aquarium? A Breakdown of the Components, Live Rock, Cycling a Marine Tank

"The capacity to learn is a gift; The ability to learn is a skill; The WILLINGNESS to learn is a choice." - Unknown