· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: SAE or Oto?

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Congrats!!!!! - Gayle   Congrats on your degree! - fins_n_fur   Congratulations on your award - Celtic Fins   Merry Christmas - Northernguy   

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by ILuvMyGoldBarb
    PV, your best option is to actually find out the source of the algae and prevent it. Algae is not a problem in and of itself, it is a symptom of a problem. If you are having that much of a problem with it you may have to many nutrients or not enough CO2 or too much light for what you have with those other 2. What is your dosing routine? (What are you dosing, how much, and how often?)

I'm dosing seachem iron and flourish every other week, along with nitrates, trace, and potassium in a dry fertilizer. All every two weeks now with weekly water changes of 40-50%

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Thanks for the nice post - Lady Hobbs   a gift your you! - squirt_12   beautiful blue discus - Algenco   felt like it - Lady Hobbs   for all the help! - squirt_12   
    Alzheimer's - Crohn's & Colitis - Cystic Fibrosis - Domestic Violence - Fibromyalgia - Leimyosarcoma - Lupus - ILuvMyGoldBarb   Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - ILuvMyGoldBarb   Graves Disease - Lymphedema - Men's Health - Pro Choice - Prostate Cancer - Scleroderma - Thyroid Disease - Trisomy 18 - ILuvMyGoldBarb   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - ILuvMyGoldBarb   Male Breast Cancer - Pregnancy Loss - Infant Loss - Sudden Infant Death - ILuvMyGoldBarb   

0 Not allowed!
    How much of the dry ferts are you adding? What is your CO2 concentration?
    Considering a Marine Aquarium? A Breakdown of the Components, Live Rock, Cycling a Marine Tank

"The capacity to learn is a gift; The ability to learn is a skill; The WILLINGNESS to learn is a choice." - Unknown

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

You need a gift - MeganL3985   Heres another one :) - MeganL3985   good job on the severum! - MCHRKiller   Have a Cory lol - KingFisher   This is for the REAL  Slimy. - KingFisher   

0 Not allowed!
    If you are at around 3wpg you may not be fertilizing often enough. If one of the nutrients is used up before the others (ie nitrate is usually used up quickly), plants won't be able to take advantage of the rest of the fertilizers, but algae will.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Congrats!!!!! - Gayle   Congrats on your degree! - fins_n_fur   Congratulations on your award - Celtic Fins   Merry Christmas - Northernguy   

0 Not allowed!
    for my 110g i'm dosing 1/2tsp trace, .75 tsp nitrates, 1tbl potassium

That brings my nitrates up from around 0 to about 10ppm

and i have no clue what my CO2 is at ppm wise. I'd say about 30ppm since my pH at night rises from around 7-7.8.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

welcome to ac! - cocoa_pleco   lol, have a heavy beer too! - cocoa_pleco   mixing your drinks, I see - Lady Hobbs   hobbs, he aint goin anywhere without a margarita! - cocoa_pleco   let's get corked - Lady Hobbs   
    HIV/AIDS - digital3   World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - digital3   Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - digital3   

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by PUNISHER VETTE
    ...and i have no clue what my CO2 is at ppm wise. I'd say about 30ppm since my pH at night rises from around 7-7.8.
    low/unstable Co2 will definitely cause Algae woes. Getting a drop checker and using 4dkh water will give you a better gauge as to your Co2 levels.
    "My call sign is digital3... But you can call me Joda!"
    Click Here to visit my Blog
    Click Here to see my Pics S.S.A.A.C. & S.R.S.

55 gal. planted (Co2 Pressurized) - 1 Featherfin Syno, 2 Bolivian Rams, 2 SAEs, 3 Congo Tetras, 4 Long Fin Rosy Barbs, 6 Sunset Platys, 2 Lyre Tailed Swordtails, 3 Peppered Corys, 2 YoYo Loaches
    3 gal. planted nano (no Co2) - 1 spotted puffer, 3 Neon Tetras

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

A poor sub for your Betta - Nick_Pavlovski   Here's a ram for ya - Lady Hobbs   
    Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - Carlos_x3   

0 Not allowed!
    sae's are very unfaithful algae eaters, themore fish food they eat the less algae they eat. Oto's are good algae eaters but they tend to be short lived. Seriously, a pack of snails will get that algae under control. I have pond snails and trumpet snails, although im not a snail person and I accidentally got them in my tank, they do an awesome job on the algae. I barely notice my pond snails but the trumpet snails are annoying, they produce dozens and dozens of baby trumpets at a time. On a boring day I've counted over 30 baby trumpet snails in my 20g substrate. I prefer the pond snails much better. Amano shrimp are second to a huge pack of snails in my book
    30g Long Planted South American BioTope Blue Rams & Apisto + Community
    Formerly Carlos_x3, RamGuy13

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

You need a gift - MeganL3985   Heres another one :) - MeganL3985   good job on the severum! - MCHRKiller   Have a Cory lol - KingFisher   This is for the REAL  Slimy. - KingFisher   

0 Not allowed!
    sae's are very unfaithful algae eaters, themore fish food they eat the less algae they eat.
    This is different form my experiences. I can see how it could happen if they are overfed, but the two sae I have seem to be grazing the whole day, on moss, algae, fish food, veggies... They eat every waking moment.

I would first ID the type of algae you have. No algae eater eats all types of algae, so it would be useful to have a confirmed ID before you decide on a specie versus the other.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Thanks for the nice post - Lady Hobbs   a gift your you! - squirt_12   beautiful blue discus - Algenco   felt like it - Lady Hobbs   for all the help! - squirt_12   
    Alzheimer's - Crohn's & Colitis - Cystic Fibrosis - Domestic Violence - Fibromyalgia - Leimyosarcoma - Lupus - ILuvMyGoldBarb   Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - ILuvMyGoldBarb   Graves Disease - Lymphedema - Men's Health - Pro Choice - Prostate Cancer - Scleroderma - Thyroid Disease - Trisomy 18 - ILuvMyGoldBarb   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - ILuvMyGoldBarb   Male Breast Cancer - Pregnancy Loss - Infant Loss - Sudden Infant Death - ILuvMyGoldBarb   

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Slimy
    If one of the nutrients is used up before the others (ie nitrate is usually used up quickly), plants won't be able to take advantage of the rest of the fertilizers, but algae will.
    Respectfully, this isn't correct. The only way plants will not be able to take advantage of fertilizers is if there is not enough CO2. Plants can use one element even if another is not present, this is how plants end up with nutrient deficiencies.
    Considering a Marine Aquarium? A Breakdown of the Components, Live Rock, Cycling a Marine Tank

"The capacity to learn is a gift; The ability to learn is a skill; The WILLINGNESS to learn is a choice." - Unknown

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Actually I don't think it's incorrect. If for example, you removed po4 from your dosing you'd notice uptake of all other nutrients to slow down. But it's sleepy time. I'll type more tomorrow.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    If you statement is correct then there would be no such thing as a plant having a single nutirent deficiency, they would show the signs of all of them, however that is not the case. I can have a plant that is short on only potassium, or Iron, orboron, or any number of different nutrients.