· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

A poor sub for your Betta - Nick_Pavlovski   Here's a ram for ya - Lady Hobbs   
    Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - Carlos_x3   

Default Ohhh man.. Whats gonna happen?

0 Not allowed!
    SO I was at my g/f's house today and I had a look at their fish tank and I noticed the media compartment from their aquaclear 50 hang on filter was completely missing. I was like wth! who took it out?! She tells me her mom took it out because the filter was leaking water from the top. I saw the media and stuff sitting by the kitchen sink all dried up, her mom didn't want it back in. Whats gonna happen? It's a 30g I think, with 2 full grown convicts and 3 or 4 goldfish.
    30g Long Planted South American BioTope Blue Rams & Apisto + Community
    Formerly Carlos_x3, RamGuy13

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

You need a gift - MeganL3985   Heres another one :) - MeganL3985   good job on the severum! - MCHRKiller   Have a Cory lol - KingFisher   This is for the REAL  Slimy. - KingFisher   

0 Not allowed!
    If that is the only filter in the tank it sounds like trouble. I never used one myself, but I read that aquaclear filters do overflow if the media is clogged.
    It should never get to that point, but if your girlfriend can afford a new filter, emperor filters just overflow into the tank when they clog.
    Either way the fish won't live long without a filter or with a brand new filter that needs to cycle. If the media is dry all the bacteria has long been dead. Until new filter media, or a new filter can be found I would do daily water changes (~20%), add a bit of a conditioner that detoxifies ammonia and nitrite.
    When a new filter arrives or the media is replaced you can try to seed it using media from another tank. If the mom doesn't budge from her stance, I would recommend returning the fish :/
    Is she a good girlfriend? Do you have a filter you can swap for her aquaclear? Or could you get her mother's permission to buy a new filter promising it won't have the same problem?
    That would be the romantic thing to do.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

wonderful photos - Lady Hobbs   more discus for you - Lady Hobbs   A blueram for you sir!!!!! - jbeining75   Love your discus - sailor   Poor bastard..  Have a nip for the pain.. - doug z   
    Childhood Cancer - SkinnyChicken   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - SkinnyChicken   

0 Not allowed!
    I'd say if the tank was originally cycled (you don't say how long it has been up and running) and has some sort of substrate then the bacteria will probably still be sufficient enough to keep things ticking along - depending upon how large the bacteria colony is.

If there isn't any substrate (and the tank was cycled) then the cycle will stall and will need to be started again via new filter material/or new filter that doesn't leak.

I rather doubt you want to have a filter running with no filter material in it - it would be a complate waste of time other than maybe to keep up the oxygen levels.

You can have it done good, cheap, and fast. Pick any two.
    80g (300L) - Discus, Silver Dollars, Corys, Kuhlis, Zebras, Bristlenose Plecs, Flying Foxes, Bumblebee Gobies, Bolivian Rams and a Whiptail Catfish.
    18g (60L) - Lake Tanganyika tank with 3 Neolamprologus multifasciatus and 13 Neon Tetras.
    10g (38L) - 2 male Betta Splendens (Crowntails) - Optimus Prime & Megatron
    Pond (350-450g) - 9 Goldfish, Comets, Shebumpkins & 2 Yabbies.
    Diary Of A Madman (My Blog)

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

You need a gift - MeganL3985   Heres another one :) - MeganL3985   good job on the severum! - MCHRKiller   Have a Cory lol - KingFisher   This is for the REAL  Slimy. - KingFisher   

0 Not allowed!
    I would agree that the bacteria in the tank would be sufficient for a while except for the stocking level. "3 or 4 goldfish" sound like a lot of waste in a 30g, even not considering the grown convicts.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - Carlos_x3   

0 Not allowed!
    Tank with the same fish has been up n running over a year and a half. Filter wasn't clogged as I replaced their media with brand new media awhile ago. They tend to overfeed, as they let the lil 5 year old feed them or else she'll throiw a fit. They REFUSE to do water changes, her step dad "use" to do monthyl water changes. I did a water change a few days ago after 3 or 4 months had gone by without any water change. They've had leaking problems before with the filter, I don't know why, I almost got the blame for it once when I had done a water change last year. I've repeatedly given my g/f advice which she has passed on to her step dad. His response: oh well, there still alive aren't they. I cant afford a new filter for them and I dont have extra media and I don't have the time to head over their everyday n do water changes. Her step dad looks at me funny cause I actually care about the fish n do water changes now n then. The fish have made it without a filter for almost a whole day before but I noticed the Cons were breathing heavy when I put the filter back on, her mom took it off before since it was leaking but I put it back on with new media.
    Last edited by RamGuy13; 06-13-2008 at 07:01 AM.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Time for a slushie! - Rue   CHILL OUT! - Lady Hobbs   Thank You - MeganL3985   happy belated birthday - angelcakes   for giving me a gift - troy   
    Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - Bolivian Ram   

0 Not allowed!
    lol stubborn gf moms and step dads, kinda sad, maybe a diy filter will serfice? If not maybe you can take the tank from them, im sure the mom and step dad wont mind, its getting past ur gf that will be the problem
    Last edited by MelloCello; 06-13-2008 at 02:00 PM.
    My Current Aquariums

20 gallon, Two blue gouramis, One Danios, Two albino coreys and five red guarres.
    75 gallon mbuna tank, Four yellow labs, Four rusty cichlids, One red zebras, pair of Eureka peacocks
    10 gallon planted- Six Caridnal tetras,
    another 10 gallon, and newts

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    They refuse to sell me the tank, I told them name your price! Maybe when the fish die cause thats what its coming down to.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

you looked a little bare - Algenco   

0 Not allowed!
    Is it the media part that is clogged or the part under the intake tube within the unit that will clog? I have noticed a difference in my AC where it comes in, kind of blurb up on occasion and though maybe it was due to my bubble stone being to close tot he intake?
    Sorry to hijack but am curious about this as well. This is my first AC filter.
    Going to check stuff out now....eeekkk!
    Hugs
    Jenn
    30 Gallon
    4 White Clouds "the fab 4"
    1 Powder Blue Gourami "ohgo"
    1 Chinese hillstream Loach "sucky"
    1 kuhli loach
    4 neon tetra
    2 glow light tetra?
    1 golden white cloud
    Java Moss
    Java Fern
    Anubias Nana
    Gravel Substrate
    Fake filler plants

Across the great pond from the state of Seattle

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

have an octopus - angelcakes   a clownfish for your super sense of humor!!!! - ladyoutlaw50   doning the superman suit - Lady Hobbs   Let's have a Drink ;) - Fishalicious   For the wife! - Lady Hobbs   

0 Not allowed!
    *best Gangster Voice* "Well I know a guy who knows a guy, who may know a guy who could make that Tank disappear if you know what I mean." *end in a coughing sputter*

In all fairness I have been through the same, bad news is I lost the gf when I told the Dad "told ya so when the fish died." Good news is that was how I found the woman I married had 2 kids, got divorced, got remarried (to another woman) had 2 more kids with a third on the way.... Oh wait this was supposed to cheer you up not depress myself...

I wish ya luck maybe just ask the GF parents if they mind if you maintain it for them because you want them to have a nice tank for their beautiful home they will let ya.
    This posting was approved by:
    William S. Burt

All words in this post are completly fictional, any resemblence to actual words is strictly a cowinky dink. No Animals were harmed in the making of this post. Now as far as Humans go there were probably a few hurt and maybe even killed. Please do not copy and paste this post with out the expressed written consent of the owner. Quoting is allowed but only too boost the owners already over inflated ego.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Member of the month, a toast is in order. - Strider199   Sorry about your blood parrot :-( - ~firefly~   For this; http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aquariumforum/showthread.php?t=111325 - Strider199   :-) - ~firefly~   Happy mother's day! Enjoy one on me LOL - imma24   
    Childhood Cancer - hobbs   World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - hobbs   Myasthenia Gravis - Ovarian Cancer - Sexual Assault - Substance Abuse - Lady Hobbs   Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - Lady Hobbs   Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - Lady Hobbs   

0 Not allowed!
    Who do they plan to remove the debris from the tank? If the filter was leaking water, it might have had too much media crammed in the back or the filter tubes needed a cleaning. They have to have a filter.