· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

A poor sub for your Betta - Nick_Pavlovski   Here's a ram for ya - Lady Hobbs   
    Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - Carlos_x3   

0 Not allowed!
    I did a cleaning on the filter a couple weeks ago and it was running good with one sponge media and a ammonia remover bag. They been having problems with the filter for the past few months, it will occasionally overflow. I do water changes every once in a while but maintaining it full-time I can't. The tank is in a high traffic area (right beside the dinner table) and I always see the water moving around in the tank from people walking by it, I think this could be the problem. Also, I think the filter doesn't sit straight on the back, seems to be on an angle.
    30g Long Planted South American BioTope Blue Rams & Apisto + Community
    Formerly Carlos_x3, RamGuy13

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

for a fellow front lover - sailor   All the saltwater help! - squirt_12   Thanks! - squirt_12   For the million fish man - Lady Hobbs   Excellent puffer advice. - Brookfish   

0 Not allowed!
    I've owned several models of aquaclear filters for over three years and never had them overflow on me (for media I only utilize the sponge filter which gets cleaned of detritus every water change). I almost can't see how it's possible to overflow. I suppose the sponge would have to get over-saturated with waste to the point where water can't flow through it and so water pressure forces the sponges upwards, blocking the outflow area.

Regular maintenance (or even maintenance as infrequent as every 2 months) should be sufficient enough to prevent media blockage resulting in overflowing issues.
    Last edited by kaybee; 06-13-2008 at 05:14 PM.
    African cichlid and saltwater aquariums

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - Carlos_x3   

0 Not allowed!
    Like I said, the filter is clean yet still overflows. I got nothing against AC's, IMO they are the most durable, I have one and it is a couple years old and still running stronger than other new ones I've had.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

You need a gift - MeganL3985   Heres another one :) - MeganL3985   good job on the severum! - MCHRKiller   Have a Cory lol - KingFisher   This is for the REAL  Slimy. - KingFisher   

0 Not allowed!
    Ok now I'm confused. I did not get to sleep last night. What was the question again?

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

here's a gift - troy   

0 Not allowed!
    here is an idea... since moms so worried about leakage how about some sponge filters and an air pump.... whats that like $25 bucks tops
    55 Gallon Tank - Anacharis - 3 Tiger Barbs - 1 Rainbow Shark - 1 Curvicep - 1 Gold Severum - 1 Plecostomus
    30 Gallon Tank - Planning for SW
    18 Gallon Tank - Anacharis - 2 Flame Dwarf Gouramis - 2 Paradise Blue Gouramis - 1 Dwarf Gouramis - 1 Rainbow Shark
    10 Gallon Tank - Java Moss - 5 Neon Tetra - 35 Cherry Shrimp
    10 Gallon Tank - Amazon Sword - Anacharis - Fril - Java Moss - Moneywort - Parrot Feather - 4 Ramshorn Snails

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    I couldn't nor my g/f couldn't ever get that lady to spend a dime on the fish. The only reason they've had food is because she gets it free from her work. I brought over some pellets last month since the Cons have been eating only goldfish flakes, I also brought them some bloodworms too. I haven't talked to my g/f in a couple days but I did tell her that same day to put the media back asap. Will post again with a follw up of the fish.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

here's a gift - troy   

0 Not allowed!
    well sounds to me like there is really no hope......... not much anyone can do in a situation such as that
    55 Gallon Tank - Anacharis - 3 Tiger Barbs - 1 Rainbow Shark - 1 Curvicep - 1 Gold Severum - 1 Plecostomus
    30 Gallon Tank - Planning for SW
    18 Gallon Tank - Anacharis - 2 Flame Dwarf Gouramis - 2 Paradise Blue Gouramis - 1 Dwarf Gouramis - 1 Rainbow Shark
    10 Gallon Tank - Java Moss - 5 Neon Tetra - 35 Cherry Shrimp
    10 Gallon Tank - Amazon Sword - Anacharis - Fril - Java Moss - Moneywort - Parrot Feather - 4 Ramshorn Snails

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Here ya go. - troy   Thanks! - Northernguy   A manatee for the nanotank :) - domjd05   thank you - mommy1   

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by RamGuy13
    Tank with the same fish has been up n running over a year and a half. Filter wasn't clogged as I replaced their media with brand new media awhile ago. They tend to overfeed, as they let the lil 5 year old feed them or else she'll throiw a fit. They REFUSE to do water changes, her step dad "use" to do monthyl water changes. I did a water change a few days ago after 3 or 4 months had gone by without any water change. They've had leaking problems before with the filter, I don't know why, I almost got the blame for it once when I had done a water change last year. I've repeatedly given my g/f advice which she has passed on to her step dad. His response: oh well, there still alive aren't they. I cant afford a new filter for them and I dont have extra media and I don't have the time to head over their everyday n do water changes. Her step dad looks at me funny cause I actually care about the fish n do water changes now n then. The fish have made it without a filter for almost a whole day before but I noticed the Cons were breathing heavy when I put the filter back on, her mom took it off before since it was leaking but I put it back on with new media.
    Oh, man! I hear you so much. You have no idea how much I've tried to educate my gf's family, they just look at me funny and they definitely don't wanna spend anything extra on the tank... anyways - trust me, the best advice is just keep to yourself, otherwise your future in-laws (maybe) will look at you funny for the rest of your life. You just can't educate some ppl, believe me ...
    37G - 1 adult male Convict and ~40 of its babies, Java Fern, different Crypts, Anubias Nana and Balansae crypt. Eq't:AC-50, AC-30, Whisper 40 air pump, 150W Visi-Therm heater, 36W Coralife lights :)

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Oh, man! I hear you so much. You have no idea how much I've tried to educate my gf's family, they just look at me funny and they definitely don't wanna spend anything extra on the tank... anyways - trust me, the best advice is just keep to yourself, otherwise your future in-laws (maybe) will look at you funny for the rest of your life. You just can't educate some ppl, believe me ...
    I'm glad I'm not alone on this.

The media was put back the next day, so all the bacteria is dead for sure. I'll do a water change the next time I'm over. Another thing I been noticing is that her bigger convict is always chasing the smaller convict that I think is a girl because she is shaped a little different then the big con, it's to the point where she is constantly hiding in a little brick style cave and only sneaks out when there is food. Why does the bigger con chase the smaller "female".

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Here's a corydoras. - troy   

0 Not allowed!
    Am I the only one who sees the problem? you said yourself that the filter sits srooked on the tank. So all you have to do is shim it forward so when the media starts to get blocked, the extra water flows out of the filter and not out the back.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast