· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Default When can I move fry in with adults?

0 Not allowed!
    How long do I need to wait before I put fry in the main tank?

I have a small 5 gallon tank with 10 (6 wk old) Molly and Platy fry in it. Most are about 1/4" - 1/2" long.

How long do I need to wait to add them to a bigger tank with grown Molly and Platy? I don't want them eaten!
    Jamie <(((<<
    46g - 5 Platy, 6 Zebra Danio, 6 Cory
    10g - Crowntail Betta

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Wink your fish

0 Not allowed!
    best thing is wait till the fry are bigger than the adults mouth,this way its harder for them to eat the fry hope this helps

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

you looked a little bare - Algenco   No Message - Angila   just thought i would say hi - sncrowe   

0 Not allowed!
    I am pretty sure i put them in about 1/2 inch just make sure as posted above they can't fit in the adults mouths also another i don't know how it is with every fish but i just put mine in when they start getting a real tail but my tank is suvival of the fittest lol or i would be over run with fry

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

you need a gift - cocoa_pleco   Thanks for the sump help :) - Blu-ray   For the next fishing season - DragonGoby   for being helpful and nice! - jphonger   To make the difference ;op - DragonGoby   
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - Sasquatch   

0 Not allowed!
    Yup, as soon as they can't fit in the adults mouths, you can transfer them with the adults. Usually it's once they hit about 1/2" and the hump back is big enough so they don't fit. It may take a bit longer with mollies though, they're bigger fish than platies.
    My AC Fish Gallery:
    Another gallery with my fish

21 Gallon - 3 Ornate Tetras, 7 Pencilfish, 1 Oto cat, 7 Amano shrimp, 1 Peckoltia brevis, 1 clown pleco
    15 Gallon - 1 clown pleco, 6 threadfin rainbows
    10 Gallon - 7 Galaxy Rasboras, 4 Betta rutilans, Cherry shrimp, 1 Hillstream Loach
    65 Gallon - Cycling!

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Member of the month, a toast is in order. - Strider199   Sorry about your blood parrot :-( - ~firefly~   For this; http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aquariumforum/showthread.php?t=111325 - Strider199   :-) - ~firefly~   Happy mother's day! Enjoy one on me LOL - imma24   
    Childhood Cancer - hobbs   World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - hobbs   Myasthenia Gravis - Ovarian Cancer - Sexual Assault - Substance Abuse - Lady Hobbs   Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - Lady Hobbs   Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - Lady Hobbs   

0 Not allowed!
    I just added two rainbow fry to my tank last night just to see how they'd do with the older rainbows. They are very small and swimming around in that tank like they owned it. Rainbows have big mouths but narrow throats so guess they figure they aren't worth eating.

Across the great pond from the state of Seattle

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

have an octopus - angelcakes   a clownfish for your super sense of humor!!!! - ladyoutlaw50   doning the superman suit - Lady Hobbs   Let's have a Drink ;) - Fishalicious   For the wife! - Lady Hobbs   

0 Not allowed!
    With Mollies I have found about a week after they are born the parents could care less about them. Once they actually start to look like little fish. I have raised them seperate and reintorduced and just let them survive in the big tank with no problems after a week or so.

Understand though that each fish has a different attitude mine may just be less inclined to eating fry. Only fry I have lost to predation have all been in the first 2 or 3 days once they make it past that barrier it is home free.
    This posting was approved by:
    William S. Burt

All words in this post are completly fictional, any resemblence to actual words is strictly a cowinky dink. No Animals were harmed in the making of this post. Now as far as Humans go there were probably a few hurt and maybe even killed. Please do not copy and paste this post with out the expressed written consent of the owner. Quoting is allowed but only too boost the owners already over inflated ego.