· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

This kinda looks like a platy! To get you started! - MandyL   sorry about your accident! - smaug   For your latest bad luck. - dc300m01   

Default fry tank set up?

0 Not allowed!
    hey, have a 7g long, that i want to make a platy/molly/swordtail fry tank.
    what is neccesary in a fry tank? what should i put over my HOB filter to prevent deaths?
    thanks!

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Excellent rockwork! - Rue   Thanks - aquarius56   Closest thing to a frisbee. - Sasquatch   No reason - William   Only fitting you should have this. - William   
    Emphysema - Lung Cancer - Lung Disease - Multiple Sclerosis - travie   

0 Not allowed!
    I don't have anything covering my HOB intake in my tank that has fry. You don't need to decorate special for fry only tanks. If you have fish in the tank that are big enough to eat fry, you will need to make sure the fry have place to hide. From my experience liverbearer fry like to stay at the top of the water, so some form of floating plant whether fake or real would be a good idea.
    Last edited by travie; 06-11-2008 at 05:12 AM.

- 29g FW - Community - Congo Tetras and a mated pair Kribensis
    - 55g SW - Royal Gramma, 6-Line Wrasse, 2 Ocellaris Clownfish, and various corals and inverts

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

thanks for helping me in my time of need :) - graceluvsplatys   

0 Not allowed!
    Hi,
    We have a 30L Grow out tank just for fry, all we have in there is gravel 3 stones made so the fry can get under them, a floating plant.
    We have 2 filters, with no covers on them, as we find the filters don't filter as well and we haven't lost any fry by being sucked up and an air stone and a heater thats it.
    we have molly, platy and guppy fry all dif ages, the platy fry like to stay mostly at the bottom, the guppies are free swimming all over, and the mollies are free swiming all over, they seem to know that they are safe and mostly don't bother staying in the plant, but we still keep 1 in there in case they want some shelter. we also find that the platy fry are very very shy fish.

Hope this helps. good luck with the breeding lol
    jonruthy xx
    200L Freshwater
    6 Kribensis(3M-3F)
    11 Platies(3M-8F)
    3 Rosy Barbs
    6 Cardinal Tetra
    6 Glowlight Tetra
    6 Bronze Tetra
    6 Flame Tetra

90L Freshwater
    7 Mollies(2M-4F)
    7 Guppies(2M-5F)

60L Freshwater(Fry Tank)
    Baby Guppies, Platies, Mollies
    60L Freshwater(Delivery suite)
    Baby Guppies
    60L Freshwater(Grow Out Tank)
    Half Grown Guppies

http://photobucket.com/jonruthy

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

This kinda looks like a platy! To get you started! - MandyL   sorry about your accident! - smaug   For your latest bad luck. - dc300m01   

0 Not allowed!
    so, from this i am assuming i need for a 7g grow out:
    1 tank ( duh)
    10g heater
    10g filter
    airstone
    a plant? could i go without, it would be so much easier.

oh btw, i was thinking that i would put the 10g filter that has been running for a few moths in when i have fry, and taking it out when i dont. wouls that eliminate the need for cycling? of wouldn it?

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Hi graceluvsplatys,
    Are you taking the 10g filter out of another tank? or has it been out of a tank for a while?
    We have a filter on every tank and when we have no fry in the grow out tank then we put a few small fish in there to keep it cycled. we don't leave it empty nor clean it out, we just give it a general clean like all the tanks, then put a few fish in there till we have fry again, then remove them fish back to the main tank, when we get new fry, you would have to start cycling again if you took the filter out.
    But with livebearers you ain't without fry for very long as we have found out!
    We started with the grow out tank and put water from the main tank instead of tap water to give us a head start, we still had to cycle it cos it was a new filter, but didn't take as long also we put the stones from the main tank as well.
    Could you go without what???? just the plant.
    the plant will help oxygenate the tank and a hiding place at the same time.
    Some people say you can go without the gravel, but again it's upto you if you do or don't.
    I'm not an expert by any means, but what we have done seems to have worked fine.
    Jonruthy xx
    200L Freshwater
    6 Kribensis(3M-3F)
    11 Platies(3M-8F)
    3 Rosy Barbs
    6 Cardinal Tetra
    6 Glowlight Tetra
    6 Bronze Tetra
    6 Flame Tetra

90L Freshwater
    7 Mollies(2M-4F)
    7 Guppies(2M-5F)

60L Freshwater(Fry Tank)
    Baby Guppies
    Half Grown Guppies

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Excellent rockwork! - Rue   Thanks - aquarius56   Closest thing to a frisbee. - Sasquatch   No reason - William   Only fitting you should have this. - William   
    Emphysema - Lung Cancer - Lung Disease - Multiple Sclerosis - travie   

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by graceluvsplatys
    a plant? could i go without, it would be so much easier.
    The plant would only be necessary if you have other fish in the tank with the fry that could eat the fry. It could be a fake plant and still yield the same results as a real plant.

- 29g FW - Community - Congo Tetras and a mated pair Kribensis
    - 55g SW - Royal Gramma, 6-Line Wrasse, 2 Ocellaris Clownfish, and various corals and inverts

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by jonruthy
    Hi graceluvsplatys,
    Are you taking the 10g filter out of another tank? or has it been out of a tank for a while?
    We have a filter on every tank and when we have no fry in the grow out tank then we put a few small fish in there to keep it cycled. we don't leave it empty nor clean it out, we just give it a general clean like all the tanks, then put a few fish in there till we have fry again, then remove them fish back to the main tank, when we get new fry, you would have to start cycling again if you took the filter out.
    But with livebearers you ain't without fry for very long as we have found out!
    We started with the grow out tank and put water from the main tank instead of tap water to give us a head start, we still had to cycle it cos it was a new filter, but didn't take as long also we put the stones from the main tank as well.
    Could you go without what???? just the plant.
    the plant will help oxygenate the tank and a hiding place at the same time.
    Some people say you can go without the gravel, but again it's upto you if you do or don't.
    I'm not an expert by any means, but what we have done seems to have worked fine.
    Jonruthy xx
    sorry i wasnt very clear. I have a 10g running on my tank, it has been for a few moths. would it be ok, if i removed it from the main tank ( i have a bigger filter there, too just for that tank) and put it on the fry tank when neccesary. then i would put it back on the main tank. is that better?

also, how many platy fry could I fit in a 7g long? just as a grow out tank till i could rehome them, mind you.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Hi graceluvsplatys,
    I would say that would be ok to do that,cycling wise i guess it would depend if your putting water from the tap or from your main tank in there, im not to sure about that one, hopfully someone else could answer that question for you.
    As for how many fry you can fit in there, they are tiny at first so i would think a good few, but when they start to grow out, i would think you will have to keep a close eye on the water peramiters. We have about 30 to 40 fry in our 30L but they are dif ages so when the first lot are big enough they will come out leaving room for the younger ones.
    We do daily water changes of 10% and clean the gravel daily also.
    jonruthy xx
    200L Freshwater
    6 Kribensis(3M-3F)
    11 Platies(3M-8F)
    3 Rosy Barbs
    6 Cardinal Tetra
    6 Glowlight Tetra
    6 Bronze Tetra
    6 Flame Tetra

90L Freshwater
    7 Mollies(2M-4F)
    7 Guppies(2M-5F)

60L Freshwater(Fry Tank)
    Baby Guppies
    Half Grown Guppies

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Wecome to the forum - Lady Hobbs   ...Use it wisely. - Drumachine09   Superman of tanks big and bigger - Lady Hobbs   Cheers! - alizee340   for knowing stuff - Nick_Pavlovski   
    World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - Dave66   

0 Not allowed!
    Grace,
    You should use a sponge filter in fry tanks. That's what all experienced breeders do. Just run your sponge filter in your main tank for a few weeks and squeeze it out and place in the designated fry tank when needed.

Dave
    When a finger points to the moon, the imbecile looks at the finger.

Omnia mutantur nihil interit.

The more you read, the more things you will know. The more that you learn, the more places you'll go

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

You need a gift - MeganL3985   Heres another one :) - MeganL3985   good job on the severum! - MCHRKiller   Have a Cory lol - KingFisher   This is for the REAL  Slimy. - KingFisher   

0 Not allowed!
    I'm using a sponge filter for my bolivian ram fry. First time I try to raise fry and the filter seems to be working really well. It's definitely safe and the fry spends a long time pecking food off of it.