· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

you looked a little bare - Algenco   No Message - Angila   just thought i would say hi - sncrowe   

0 Not allowed!
    i just set up a normal 10 gal. for a nursery mine is out in the open so i decorated it if your fish are like mine that tank will never be empty good luck

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Tanks for sharing our hobby - Boertjie   Congrats on new tank and severum - Lady Hobbs   for rescuing the betta! - cocoa_pleco   For being my life partner - Boertjie   for being so good to our underwater friends! - ladyoutlaw50   
    Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - Gemstone   

0 Not allowed!
    i use a sponge filter for my fry tank. It is not necessary to decorate it with plants etc as such if only the fry are there. Plants etc are there for them to hide in if they have adults in the tank with them so that they have a place to hide and not get eaten. It is a good idea to keep the tank cycling as live bearers are quite prolific breader. If no fry are in the tank, I'd advise that you keep a few of you adults in there untill it's time for your new batch of babies..

congrats on the fishy prodgeny

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Thanks for being a great friend and helping me keep my sanity - Angila   

0 Not allowed!
    my platy fry hid in the rocks at the bottom and hide in my fake breeding grass that i let float at the top of the tank.
    20 gallon- 3 platies, 3 tetras, 3 mollies, 1 pleco, mystery snails, 1 baby molly and baby net with 3 mollies

Take a look at my tank.

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Smile

0 Not allowed!
    your best bet is to buy an under gravel filter thats what i use and most fish shops try ebay dont think there that much to buy i got mine free hope this helps

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Wecome to the forum - Lady Hobbs   ...Use it wisely. - Drumachine09   Superman of tanks big and bigger - Lady Hobbs   Cheers! - alizee340   for knowing stuff - Nick_Pavlovski   
    World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - Dave66   

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by 22marie22
    your best bet is to buy an under gravel filter thats what i use and most fish shops try ebay dont think there that much to buy i got mine free hope this helps
    Marie,
    Fry tanks are usually bare bottom, that is, no gravel, as fry tanks must be kept scrupulously clean, and a bare-bottomed tank is easier to see and remove debris before they impinge on water quality and kill fry.
    An under gravel filter is an inert piece of plastic, thus is incapable of harboring the concentration of nitrifying bacteria of a seasoned sponge filter. Also, as said above, fry are able to pick micro-crustaceans from the surface of a sponge filter as a supplementary food source.

Dave
    When a finger points to the moon, the imbecile looks at the finger.

Omnia mutantur nihil interit.

The more you read, the more things you will know. The more that you learn, the more places you'll go