· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

you need a gift - cocoa_pleco   Thanks for the sump help :) - Blu-ray   For the next fishing season - DragonGoby   for being helpful and nice! - jphonger   To make the difference ;op - DragonGoby   
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - Sasquatch   

Default Propagating pennywort

0 Not allowed!
    We bought some pennywort a little while ago and introduced it into our tank.

In our 10g ... it's not doing so hot. I planted three stems and they slowly lost their leaves and rootlets. They're starting to come back slowly, there are a few new leaves, but it's slow.

It's quite a different story in my 5g. I planted 5 stems in there and they took off. I've got two stems right now that pretty much cross the tank. Makes for a very nice arch effect in the tank because the stems are on opposite sides.

So I'd like to take some of the pennywort in the 5g and transfer it to 10g. I'm unsure about how to do this ... is it similar to the way I propagate my hygrophilas?

I've also had problems getting the stems to root. The bottom node tends to rot and the stem eventually breaks off. This happened in both tanks, but was more of a problem in the 5g. I'd like to avoid this problem in the 10g ... will leaving the rootlets intake help rooting?

Thanks for any advice.
    My AC Fish Gallery:
    Another gallery with my fish

21 Gallon - 3 Ornate Tetras, 7 Pencilfish, 1 Oto cat, 7 Amano shrimp, 1 Peckoltia brevis, 1 clown pleco
    15 Gallon - 1 clown pleco, 6 threadfin rainbows
    10 Gallon - 7 Galaxy Rasboras, 4 Betta rutilans, Cherry shrimp, 1 Hillstream Loach
    65 Gallon - Cycling!

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Thanks for the nice post - Lady Hobbs   a gift your you! - squirt_12   beautiful blue discus - Algenco   felt like it - Lady Hobbs   for all the help! - squirt_12   
    Alzheimer's - Crohn's & Colitis - Cystic Fibrosis - Domestic Violence - Fibromyalgia - Leimyosarcoma - Lupus - ILuvMyGoldBarb   Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - ILuvMyGoldBarb   Graves Disease - Lymphedema - Men's Health - Pro Choice - Prostate Cancer - Scleroderma - Thyroid Disease - Trisomy 18 - ILuvMyGoldBarb   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - ILuvMyGoldBarb   Male Breast Cancer - Pregnancy Loss - Infant Loss - Sudden Infant Death - ILuvMyGoldBarb   

0 Not allowed!
    All stem plants propagate pretty much the same way, simply clip and plant.
    Considering a Marine Aquarium? A Breakdown of the Components, Live Rock, Cycling a Marine Tank

"The capacity to learn is a gift; The ability to learn is a skill; The WILLINGNESS to learn is a choice." - Unknown

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

You need a gift - MeganL3985   Heres another one :) - MeganL3985   good job on the severum! - MCHRKiller   Have a Cory lol - KingFisher   This is for the REAL  Slimy. - KingFisher   

0 Not allowed!
    In my experience it's difficult to have it root underwater. I don't know what specie you have, but I have brazilian pennywort in 3 tanks and in all 3 it does not like to grow roots beneath the substrate. It does however grow quite a few 'air roots' and does well as a floating plant.
    To propagate it just cut off a piece of it.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

you need a gift - cocoa_pleco   Thanks for the sump help :) - Blu-ray   For the next fishing season - DragonGoby   for being helpful and nice! - jphonger   To make the difference ;op - DragonGoby   
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - Sasquatch   

0 Not allowed!
    GB: That's pretty much what I do with my Hygrophila, I'll try it with the pennywort. Hopefully they'll do better this time being fresher cuttings not from the LFS.

Slimy: Yeah, it's brazilian pennywort and I've had the same problem in the 5g. There are plenty of "air roots" at each node, but each time I try to plant a stem, the bottom node rots.

After many attempts, I think i've finally managed to get the 5 stems to root ... or at least stick in the substrate.

Worst comes to worst, I'll leave them as floating plants ... I'm sure the bettas won't mind.
    My AC Fish Gallery:
    Another gallery with my fish

21 Gallon - 3 Ornate Tetras, 7 Pencilfish, 1 Oto cat, 7 Amano shrimp, 1 Peckoltia brevis, 1 clown pleco
    15 Gallon - 1 clown pleco, 6 threadfin rainbows
    10 Gallon - 7 Galaxy Rasboras, 4 Betta rutilans, Cherry shrimp, 1 Hillstream Loach
    65 Gallon - Cycling!