· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Awards Showcase

god im hungry - cocoa_pleco You make me laugh! - Drumachine09 And lots of pizza too! lol - Chrona wish i had some of this to drink right now - cocoa_pleco DAAAAAM, this drink looks good - cocoa_pleco 
    There. Thats better. - Drumachine09 maybe one day we can enjoy one of these - sergo Congrats you recived a RAK gift enjoy! - DemonShark RAK - DemonShark RAK - DemonShark 
    Cheers! - Nick_Pavlovski Since Wendy's is only open 4 hours! - aliz340 For Your Help And Friendship - MeganL3985 Hope you a good time in Germany - alizee340 Good to have you back around the forum! - Nick_Pavlovski 
    Thanks....you could use some Luck with your fish too! - **AquaQueen** I'm baking today and figured I'd share...Thanks for helping whne it's needed! - **AquaQueen** Back at you, CP! - Dave66 You send me fruit I send you pizza!! LOL!! - 2manyfish a fish for the new 5.5g salt! lol - cocoa_pleco 
    Graves Disease - Lymphedema - Men's Health - Pro Choice - Prostate Cancer - Scleroderma - Thyroid Disease - Trisomy 18 - cocoa_pleco Anti-Tobacco - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - cocoa_pleco Adoptee - Bone Cancer - Child Exploitation and Abuse - Hope and Support - Peace - Retinoblastoma - Right to Life - Student Sexual Assault - cocoa_pleco Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - cocoa_pleco World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - cocoa_pleco 
    Cesarean Sections - Headaches - Hospice Care - Multiple Myeloma - cocoa_pleco Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - cocoa_pleco Childhood Cancer - cocoa_pleco Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - cocoa_pleco 

0 Not allowed!
    i made the crap mistake of filling my tank with tapwater originally, and since i live in a big city the water gets treated alot. I had a TON of cyano in my cyano stage, everything was blanketed in it. I started using RO water, picking cyano by hand, and now i have just a little bit of cyano on my LR, and a bit on the sand on the right side of the tank, the cyano stage in my tank is almost done. I get my RO water from the Culligan machine at Safeway, the water goes through a fine filter, carbon, RO, UV, then it comes out of the machine. I usually take as many jugs as i can carry full, so usually 3 5g jugs.

just try to keep the cyano from the corals and things should be fine

0 Not allowed!
    Culligan ads minerals, bicarbonates, and other things to their water. Every store around here has a culligan machine, but I don't use them because of the extra stuff.
    Money can't buy happiness, but it sure can pay the rent.

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave66
    Drum,
    'Tain't just light that's feeding your cyano; it's something in your water, either high Nitrate (doubtful) or high Phosphate (probable). Gotta eliminate the cause as the 'cure' of turning off the light doesn't mean you won't have a cyano plague again after you turn them on again. And I hate to tell you this buddy if you had EXTENDED your lighting period instead of diminishing it, you'd have an easier time with it. More light = faster growth = eventual diminishing of whatever has been feeding it.
    You can speed it up by using one of those iron oxide pelleted products to remove the Phosphate down to NSW levels. Need a bag and a little canister for best removal.
    Long as you have the over NSW levels of Phosphate you'll be battling forms of undesirable algae for what will seem like eons.

Dave

Here here. Dave is absolutely correctomundo. My guess is the source is likely phosphates rather than nitrates. Phosban or better yet a product called "Rowaphos" is your bestest friend. You can run it in a bag in descent flow (I have mine in the sump) or better yet....get yourself a phosban reacotr by two little fishies. They aren't terribly expensive. I will be getting one of these soon. I have been battling cyano for a couple weeks since I had a 16 hour power outage and lost my Xenia and had a phosphate spike to 1 ppm. Got a descent hair algae bloom with it. I've kept it somewhat at bay with phosban and bi-weekly water changes and manual removal. Whatever you do...don't blow it off soemthing though....that will spread it. Dave is right that you need to eliminate the cyano's food source to resolve it. Just removing it won't work....it will keep coming back till you get rid of what's causing it. Running chaeto in your sump/fuge with good light will help as well as the chaeto will use the excess nutrients that are feeding the cyano. Correct me if I'm wrong DAve. This is what I have learned through the issue I am having. It's getting mucho better.

Awards Showcase

god im hungry - cocoa_pleco You make me laugh! - Drumachine09 And lots of pizza too! lol - Chrona wish i had some of this to drink right now - cocoa_pleco DAAAAAM, this drink looks good - cocoa_pleco 
    There. Thats better. - Drumachine09 maybe one day we can enjoy one of these - sergo Congrats you recived a RAK gift enjoy! - DemonShark RAK - DemonShark RAK - DemonShark 
    Cheers! - Nick_Pavlovski Since Wendy's is only open 4 hours! - aliz340 For Your Help And Friendship - MeganL3985 Hope you a good time in Germany - alizee340 Good to have you back around the forum! - Nick_Pavlovski 
    Thanks....you could use some Luck with your fish too! - **AquaQueen** I'm baking today and figured I'd share...Thanks for helping whne it's needed! - **AquaQueen** Back at you, CP! - Dave66 You send me fruit I send you pizza!! LOL!! - 2manyfish a fish for the new 5.5g salt! lol - cocoa_pleco 
    Graves Disease - Lymphedema - Men's Health - Pro Choice - Prostate Cancer - Scleroderma - Thyroid Disease - Trisomy 18 - cocoa_pleco Anti-Tobacco - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - cocoa_pleco Adoptee - Bone Cancer - Child Exploitation and Abuse - Hope and Support - Peace - Retinoblastoma - Right to Life - Student Sexual Assault - cocoa_pleco Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - cocoa_pleco World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - cocoa_pleco 
    Cesarean Sections - Headaches - Hospice Care - Multiple Myeloma - cocoa_pleco Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - cocoa_pleco Childhood Cancer - cocoa_pleco Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - cocoa_pleco 

0 Not allowed!
    I have to agree wtih where dave said more light=faster growth=eventual diminishing of what ever has been feeding it, since ive installed metal halides on my 55g reef, the cyano has almost disappeared, i havent really paid attention to how much its gone down

0 Not allowed!
    I don't mean to be a pain but it is biologically impossible for cyano once it is there to diminish by more lighting - it does not compete with anything in the tank and is a standalone bacteria that thrives on light.
    My own Fish Blog
    Small Fish for Small Tanks

'The measure of kindness is that you are kind without measure'

0 Not allowed!
    Well, I would get a reactor, but I have a 10 gallon tank with no sump, so that could pose a wee bit of a problem.

Tomorrow, I am thinking about doing a 100% water change with freshly mixed RO saltwater. If they don't have any phosphates in it, and I got a phosphate remover just in case, would scrubbing the heck out of my lr with a soft brush in a bucket of old water do the trick? I am really frustrated with this algae. I would like to order a bunch more corals, but I can't have a decent tank wiht so much algae, and I don't want to risk any corals with it.
    Money can't buy happiness, but it sure can pay the rent.

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    100% water change is not going to resolve your issue. Phosphates live on the substrate and leach into the water column. Scrubbing your LR will not resolve it either. But, will probably cause other problems and a cycle. Cyano is a given in reefing. I can't name one reefer that hasn't had it. Getting rid of cyano is a slow process that takes patience. Do more frequent small water changes, syphon out the cyano as it grows and run phosban. Might take a couple weeks to clear up. Everything in this hobby takes patience. Drastic action on alot of the issues we run inot is not usually the best resolution and often creates a worse problem.

8. Default

0 Not allowed!
    IME you are ALWAYS going to battle cyano for a while. Thats just the way it is. You can lessen the time you have to deal with it by following what everyone has said so far (using only R/O water, frequent small water changes, ect...) Personally I would not increase the photoperiod. I do not agree with the "using up all the nutrients" idea. I would rather just limit the nutrient input in the first place. A couple of quick suggestions. If you feed the fish frozen food, rinse it with R/O water first to get rid of the excess nutrients that the food is frozen in. I do this by thawing it, puting it in a net, then pouring water over it. Also, you may try feeding through a pipette. This will allow you to precisely control the amount of food going in and limit the amount that ends up not eaten and thus contributing to the nutrient problem. If possible you can also throw a bag of Rowaphos in your filter. Over time the cyanno problem should deminish, just give it time. Nothing happens quickly when dealing with saltwater and patients here is a must.

EDIT: Damn gem beat me to the punch with the patients idea...
    Last edited by Zangetsu; 06-07-2008 at 02:47 PM.
    My Homepage!

"In my mind this jacked-up sideways ridiculousness is the normal state?" Ichigo

9. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Zangetsu made a few more valid points that I have also learned. Rinse your frozen in RO/DI before feeding. The liquid that most frozen food is frozen in contains alot of phosphates. some pelleted food and flake also contains phosphates. I feed very little pelleted and flake and mostly frozen.
    I agree 100% with the idea that "using up all the nutrientsA" will help starve the cyano. I don't really agree with doing this via extended photoperiod. There are other options. Your coraline needs those nutrients to grow. Once your LR is covered with coraline, it's not using as much to grow anymore, leaving room for other pest algae to use up those nutrients. scraping coraline off the back wall and sometimes even off the rock will cause it to start growing and use up those nutrients. There is also a specific fish that will pick at your coraline and help encourage regrowth but I don't remember what it was and it's not suited for a 10 gal anyway. Also, as I said before, growing chaeto or other nutirient sucking macro algae will help to use up the nutrients as well.
    As for your answer on why you wouldn't get a phosban reactor....you don't have to have a sump to use one. You can hang it on the back of the 10 gal....no it won't be pretty...just functional. But running phosban in a high flow area in the bag will work ok too.

10. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Sorry, shoulda worded that better. I meant not using up all the nutrients via extended photoperiod. That may promote the growth of other nuisence algea like hair algea. Yes, starving the cyano is the best way to go, i'm just not a fan of extending the photoperiod.
    My Homepage!

"In my mind this jacked-up sideways ridiculousness is the normal state?" Ichigo