· Responsible Fish Keeping
· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

Awards Showcase

welcome to ac! - cocoa_pleco lol, have a heavy beer too! - cocoa_pleco mixing your drinks, I see - Lady Hobbs hobbs, he aint goin anywhere without a margarita! - cocoa_pleco let's get corked - Lady Hobbs 
    shaken. stirred, or both? lol - cocoa_pleco BEEEEEEEEEEEEEERRRRRRRRRRRRR!!!!!!!!!!!!! - cocoa_pleco Awesome stuff! Heres to you! - S13DWS thought we could share a drink - mitcore trust me, you will need this after all that alcohol - Kuli_Loach 
    For being a great guy x - Fishalicious cheers pal :) - arkie Merry Christmas :) - MeganL3985 you rock man - arkie Merry Christmas - Stay the way you are - The Best!!! - Fishalicious 
    Merry Christmas ya dog lover! - RichBowyer Merry christmas! - cocoa_pleco merry christmas and a happy new year :-) - mitcore i felt like being nice.... enjoy it, it doesnt happen very often lol - arkie happy new year babe - arkie 
    HIV/AIDS - digital3 World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - digital3 Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - digital3 

Default New UV Sterilizer

0 Not allowed!
    So a couple of weeks ago I picked up a second filter for my 55 and an 11 watt UV Sterilizer that I plumbed inline into it. The UVS was being sold on eBay for about 30 bucks so I figured, "What the hey, I'll try it out." Not only that but one of the eBay vendors I found locally. So I was able to go and pick it up (shipping for those suckers is expensive!!!). It's a cheap-o, Chinese-made, JEBO brand sterilizer. That's probably why it was so cheap.

A couple of months back I went to a local public aquarium and couldn't believe how crystal clear the water was (when I say crystal, I mean CRYSTAL). I figured, it's gotta be the high end filtration they use. I remember commenting to my wife how awesome their tanks looked and telling her "that's how the pros do it."

Well, I can now say that the pros use UV Sterilizers. When I hooked up the second filter and the UVS, I had a severe cloudy water issue for the next few days. This was probably due to the new filter and the loads of ceramic rings I added to it. But once the cloudiness cleared up, my water turned more sparkly than I had ever seen before. And now my water has looked AMAZING these last few days. Just like how I remember seeing the water and the aquarium. I am really digging it. And my fish seem to be more active than I remember them being.

I'm not necessarily saying you should go out and get a UV Sterilizer. I just thought I would share my experiences. I believe we had a thread earlier about it and I mentioned I would let people know how it worked out for me. I know I will have to replace the bulb from time to time. But if that means that it will keep my water looking like how it looks now, I don't think I'll mind.
    "My call sign is digital3... But you can call me Joda!"
    Click Here to visit my Blog
    Click Here to see my Pics S.S.A.A.C. & S.R.S.

55 gal. planted (Co2 Pressurized) - 1 Featherfin Syno, 2 Bolivian Rams, 2 SAEs, 3 Congo Tetras, 4 Long Fin Rosy Barbs, 6 Sunset Platys, 2 Lyre Tailed Swordtails, 3 Peppered Corys, 2 YoYo Loaches
    3 gal. planted nano (no Co2) - 1 spotted puffer, 3 Neon Tetras

0 Not allowed!
    UV sterilizers are commonly used in pond filters to keep them clear. They are inadvisable to use on established reef aquariums as they kill copepod naupili so vital to the health of the tank. Only in special circumstances should one be used on a reef tank.
    I use a commercial product that keeps my tanks crystal clear.

Dave
    When a finger points to the moon, the imbecile looks at the finger.

Omnia mutantur nihil interit.

The more you read, the more things you will know. The more that you learn, the more places you'll go