· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Thumbs up Rainbows are coming

0 Not allowed!
    I have a dozen turquoise (Melanotaenia lacustris) and a dozen boesemani's (M. boesemani) heading my way to add to the 6 unidentified bows I got at PetSmart a couple weeks ago. Those were only listed as Australian rainbows but aren't they all? I think they are M. Australis but not definate yet. I do have about 50 fry from them already.

In addition, I will have some M. Maccullochi in a couple weeks when they grow a bit more. I finally will have my bow tank!

http://members.optushome.com.au/chelmon/Australis.htm

http://members.optushome.com.au/chelmon/Boesemani.htm

http://members.optushome.com.au/chelmon/Lacust.htm

http://members.optushome.com.au/chelmon/Maccull.htm

These are NOT my fish. But here are some pictures of those I will have.

0 Not allowed!
    Hobbsy,
    Finished up my 220 planted rainbowfish tank some months ago. They are great, beautiful, active fish. You'll really dig them when the all grow and color up. There are species rainbowfish in the hobby that come from both Australia and New Guinea, so they actually aren't all from just Australia. New Guinea has species Australia lacks, and vice versa.

Dave
    When a finger points to the moon, the imbecile looks at the finger.

Omnia mutantur nihil interit.

The more you read, the more things you will know. The more that you learn, the more places you'll go

0 Not allowed!
    Great! Just as I am getting all excited you burst my bubble by telling me you have yours in a 220 gallon! wahhhhhhhhh

LOLOL They really are neat looking fish. I think of the ones I'm getting, the Macculochi is the neatest looking. Those fins all tipped in red look like lace.

0 Not allowed!
    Bout time you got your bow tank!

Are rainbows aggressive fish? I had one in with a mix of other fish back before I knew squat about aquariums, and it was pretty cool.

0 Not allowed!
    They are when you keep them alone, in pairs or trios, Drum. It's so unnatural to them, they get so nervous they have spurts of high aggression. Hobbs has her orders right, with dozens of fish of her species.

Dave

The more you read, the more things you will know. The more that you learn, the more places you'll go

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Lady Hobbs
    Great! Just as I am getting all excited you burst my bubble by telling me you have yours in a 220 gallon! wahhhhhhhhh

LOLOL They really are neat looking fish. I think of the ones I'm getting, the Macculochi is the neatest looking. Those fins all tipped in red look like lace.
    Hobbsy,
    Have to have the size because I keep 42 Glossolepis incisus, and the males reach six inches each. Keep them with a bunch Melanotaenia praecox and four dozen Iriatherina werneri. Bunch of Botia haunt the bottom realm
    Remembered your Boseman's are from New Guinea, not Australia.

Dave

0 Not allowed!
    All I can say is ABOUT TIME TOO!!!!!! LOL LOL
    You are going to love em - love em - love em <-- your going to love them so much had to put it down 3 times ;)

Really looking forward to piccies
    My own Fish Blog
    Small Fish for Small Tanks

'The measure of kindness is that you are kind without measure'

0 Not allowed!
    All this talk about rainbows is making me want to do them in my 240 when i get it moved to the basement.

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave66
    Hobbsy,
    Have to have the size because I keep 42 Glossolepis incisus, and the males reach six inches each. Keep them with a bunch Melanotaenia praecox and four dozen Iriatherina werneri. Bunch of Botia haunt the bottom realm
    Remembered your Boseman's are from New Guinea, not Australia.

Dave
    Hoping because they are all Melanotaenia that they will be OK but if not, those will have to be kept with my tetra's.

Awards Showcase

You deserve a gift ! :) - MeganL3985 For doing research!  BTW...college ;) - Rue Put him with Bruce.... - jbeining75 Its good to have company - smaug Thought this might help while your're sick. Hope you feel better soon. - ILuvMyGoldBarb 
    For the cards - William An Apple For Teaching Grad!  Congrats! - MeganL3985 You deserve to let yourself go for all the hard work you did to graduate!!! - Bolivian Ram Here's an apple for the teacher, great job Ellen - sailor A koi, because they love being in a school!! - smaug 
    Congrats on the job - sailor congrats on the job ! - Algenco For getting your teaching job - snipers_den Welcome back! - fins_n_fur merry xmas - smaug 
    For the new tank - Northernguy Way to go! DIY Stand. - Northernguy My condolances to you and your family. - Mith Good Luck, thanks for the rep! - Wild Turkey I thought you might like a Frontosa. - Brookfish 
    Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - Ellen4God Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - Ellen4God 

0 Not allowed!
    I've always thought rainbowfish were pretty! Can't wait to see pictures. :)