· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

A poor sub for your Betta - Nick_Pavlovski   Here's a ram for ya - Lady Hobbs   
    Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - Carlos_x3   

Default I can't seem to keep Otos

0 Not allowed!
    They die on me. Another one died yesterday after not having an Oto casualty for a few weeks. Out of 6 I have only 1 little guy left. It can't be starvation because I would always see them with full bellys.
    30g Long Planted South American BioTope Blue Rams & Apisto + Community
    Formerly Carlos_x3, RamGuy13

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

You need a gift! Thank you for all your great posts =D - Ryuu   

0 Not allowed!
    Hmm i've been reading alot of article on it, and its very unfortunate that alot of them died in their first introduction. I know that most of death case is due to starvation, but the you said that their belly was full....
    My current guess is that since otos are herbivore fish, i believe that the lack of vegetable-matter on their diet may cause the death IMO. What types of food do you feed them? I think they strive in a tank full of algae.
    Oh yeh, and another thing any possible aggression from tankmates?

I never had otos before, i've just been doing my research on them.
    Hope that helps
    Ed
    Cheerz.
    Ed

40 Gallon (AC110, AC70, AC20 & a sponge filter):
    1x female betta
    1x Albino BN
    2x Albino corydoras
    3x Panda corydoras
    8x H.Rasboras
    3x Dwarf gourami (powder-blue var)
    1x Male A.Cacatoides
    2x unsexed juvie A.Aggassizi
    2x unsexed juvie A.Borelli
    3x Peacock gudgeon (1m, 2f)

10 Gallon:
    6x North Australian Chameleon Shrimps (Cardina sp?)
    10 Gallon:
    20+ Cherry shrimps

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

You need gifts. Have a cookie! - Drumachine09   Good luck with your fishie - RobbieG   Loving what you bring to the forum. Hope you are a long-term friend here! - gm72   For being you - Nick_Pavlovski   Whatever yu want it to be - crackatinny   
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - MeganL3985   Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - MeganL3985   World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - MeganL3985   Gay and Lesbian Pride - MeganL3985   Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - MeganL3985   

0 Not allowed!
    All of mine have died off quick....nothing wrong with the water, always having algae and sinking wafers to eat...they just die off one by one. I love the little guys, but I can't keep spending money on something that I know won't live long. Its unfortunate though..they really are neat.
    *Keep Smiling, It Makes People Wonder What Your Up To*

Tanks-
    55 Gallon--On Hold, In Storage...
    20 Gallon High--Tetra and Cory's
    5 Gallon Hex--Guppies (3 Female, 2 Male)
    2.5 Gallon Mini Bow--Future ADF Habitat
    <3 RIP--To My Former Fishies <3

*Aquatic Lounge Chatroom*
    http://theaquaticlounge.chatango.com/

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

You need a gift! Thank you for all your great posts =D - Ryuu   

0 Not allowed!
    Dang.. any successful oto keepers out there, that would like to give advice and comment here?
    I was planning to keep them initially but with all these problems, i'm having second thoughts. T__T
    Cheerz.
    Ed

40 Gallon (AC110, AC70, AC20 & a sponge filter):
    1x female betta
    1x Albino BN
    2x Albino corydoras
    3x Panda corydoras
    8x H.Rasboras
    3x Dwarf gourami (powder-blue var)
    1x Male A.Cacatoides
    2x unsexed juvie A.Aggassizi
    2x unsexed juvie A.Borelli
    3x Peacock gudgeon (1m, 2f)

10 Gallon:
    6x North Australian Chameleon Shrimps (Cardina sp?)
    10 Gallon:
    20+ Cherry shrimps

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

You need gifts. Have a cookie! - Drumachine09   Good luck with your fishie - RobbieG   Loving what you bring to the forum. Hope you are a long-term friend here! - gm72   For being you - Nick_Pavlovski   Whatever yu want it to be - crackatinny   
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - MeganL3985   Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - MeganL3985   World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - MeganL3985   Gay and Lesbian Pride - MeganL3985   Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - MeganL3985   

0 Not allowed!
    I think its really a toss up...I am almost positive that there are successful oto keepers, I am just not one of them unfortunately :( But there are also a lot of people who have trouble keeping neon tetras, but I have had mine for over a year and they're fine. Goodluck though, with whatever you choose.
    Last edited by MeganL3985; 06-02-2008 at 01:52 AM.
    *Keep Smiling, It Makes People Wonder What Your Up To*

Tanks-
    55 Gallon--On Hold, In Storage...
    20 Gallon High--Tetra and Cory's
    5 Gallon Hex--Guppies (3 Female, 2 Male)
    2.5 Gallon Mini Bow--Future ADF Habitat
    <3 RIP--To My Former Fishies <3

*Aquatic Lounge Chatroom*
    http://theaquaticlounge.chatango.com/

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

A poor sub for your Betta - Nick_Pavlovski   Here's a ram for ya - Lady Hobbs   
    Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - Carlos_x3   

0 Not allowed!
    Pretty much what megan said. Tank full of algae, sinking wafers, algae wafers, shrimp pellets and some meaty foods occasionally. I've tried feeding vegetables in the past but they've gone uneaten. It's a peaceful tank, my Rams leave them alone.

I really like Otos, I want to keep them but I think this could be a problem with the quality of the fish themselves, considering I got them from PetsMart. Are all Otos wild caught?
    30g Long Planted South American BioTope Blue Rams & Apisto + Community
    Formerly Carlos_x3, RamGuy13

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Have a drink on me - Dave66   From a fellow BC boy - sailor   For making a great game - Futureboy   thanks for the rep. - robnepper   Congrats on your Gold Award :) - SkinnyChicken   
    Autism - doug z   Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - doug z   

0 Not allowed!
    Are all Otos wild caught?
    I'm pretty sure they are..

And they are are ravenous and stressed by the time they get to the retailer.. Add water acclimatization issues..

It's an uphill battle, for sure.. :(

You just have to really watch them, check their behavior and appearance really carefully.. Make sure your water is relatively low pH and hardness, and drip acclimatize them.. Give them blanched potatoes to snack on, and other greens..

And cross your fingers..
    75g - 20 cardinals : 7 panda cory : 5 Julii cory : 9 zebra danios : 1 CAE : 2 SAE : 2 yo-yos : 1 BN
    25g: 5 long-finned zebra danios

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

You deserve a gift ! :) - MeganL3985   For doing research!  BTW...college ;) - Rue   Put him with Bruce.... - jbeining75   Its good to have company - smaug   Thought this might help while your're sick. Hope you feel better soon. - ILuvMyGoldBarb   
    Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - Ellen4God   Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - Ellen4God   

0 Not allowed!
    I got two otos in February, and they did just fine in my tank. I took awhile to acclimate them, and they just seemed to do fine. My tank was VERY algae filled when I got them. I waited for it to be covered on purpose. They did great for several months. One of them died about a month ago though. I'm not really sure why. The other is still thriving. I usually watch him everyday now to see how he's doing. When they get a really dark color, then they're not feeling too great.

I agree that sometimes it just depends on the fish. Maybe my water is just naturally "better" for them or something - I don't know. I haven't really done anything special for them.

Good luck!

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

thanks very much for helping me and sticking with me till the end. lol - squirt_12   For your new baby girl! - gm72   **Congrats On Your New Baby **  : ) - MeganL3985   Congrats!!! - Hailey   Merry Christmas :) - squirt_12   
    Autism - country_boy454   Adoptee - Bone Cancer - Child Exploitation and Abuse - Hope and Support - Peace - Retinoblastoma - Right to Life - Student Sexual Assault - country_boy454   

0 Not allowed!
    I have had luck with mine. I drip acclimated 6 of them about 9 months ago into my 29 gallon and I have 5 of them left. They get plenty of algae and also I give them shrimp pellets. Every once in a while I give them a little chunk of cucumber. They are all over the tank. Swimming away to the next bit of algae!
    20g long 84w, fluorite, planted, 5 Habrosus Corys, MTS, pair of Clown Pleco (L104)
    20gal tall: home to 10 brevis. Letting them pair off then will put the rest into the 55.
    55g empty

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

You need a gift - MeganL3985   Heres another one :) - MeganL3985   good job on the severum! - MCHRKiller   Have a Cory lol - KingFisher   This is for the REAL  Slimy. - KingFisher   

0 Not allowed!
    I added 4 in my 40g back in November of last year and they are all still around.
    I don't know what I did right. It's a planted tank, my fish get a varied died that occasionally includes fresh vegetables and algae tablets, and there's always some sort of soft algae trying to grow in the back of the tank.
    I do a 50% water change every week and nitrates are typically around 10ppm.

*edit*
    I forgot to mention... They really seem to enjoy the veggies when they start going 'soft'. It seems like the closer to rotten, the better for them. Maybe this is the key as I'm sure there is plenty of decaying vegetation sitting around my tank. When I add (raw) zucchini to the veggie clip the snails and the siamese algae eater feast for the first day and the otos really don't seem interested until day 2 or 3. If you attempt this, do NOT forget the veggies in there beyond this. It can really stink up and foul up your water.
    Last edited by Slimy; 06-02-2008 at 04:16 AM.