· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

You need a gift - MeganL3985   Heres another one :) - MeganL3985   good job on the severum! - MCHRKiller   Have a Cory lol - KingFisher   This is for the REAL  Slimy. - KingFisher   

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by kaoticice
    the initial state of the fish before purchased was probably not in a good condition.
    In the same vein, I did see a video of how wild caught otos are 'harvested'. I tried to dig it up again and failed, but they were tossed around with little or no regard.

*edit*
    Last edited by Slimy; 06-03-2008 at 05:58 AM.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Wecome to the forum - Lady Hobbs   ...Use it wisely. - Drumachine09   Superman of tanks big and bigger - Lady Hobbs   Cheers! - alizee340   for knowing stuff - Nick_Pavlovski   
    World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - Dave66   

0 Not allowed!
    I keep a few dozen of a close relative of Otocinclus; Paratocinclus sp. 'Amazonas'. Also a dozen of the Oto's larger relative Hypoptopoma gulare. Trick with ALL of them is to keep suitable food available to them 24/7. Little herbivores like that need a lot of food to keep going. Otocinclus graze on algae in nature all day every day. It isn't difficult at all to culture algae on stones to feed your Otocinclus. The first section of my culture manual contains how to.
    Also, acclimation is problematic with Otocinclus. They are HIGHLY susceptible to Ammonia in the bag, which, along with starvation, are the major causes of quick death of the fish. Drip acclimation should go through at least three cycles (three hours) with them, or any of their kin.
    Properly acclimated and fed Otocinclus and their relatives are well-nigh bulletproof in tanks, if given reasonable pH and hardness levels, which the original poster has.

Dave
    When a finger points to the moon, the imbecile looks at the finger.

Omnia mutantur nihil interit.

The more you read, the more things you will know. The more that you learn, the more places you'll go

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

A poor sub for your Betta - Nick_Pavlovski   Here's a ram for ya - Lady Hobbs   
    Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - Carlos_x3   

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Slimy
    In the same vein, I did see a video of how wild caught otos are 'harvested'. I tried to dig it up again and failed, but they were tossed around with little or no regard.

*edit*
    Interesting video, look at those green, algae rich, waters.

I gotta start drip acclimating. I acclimated for 45-60 mins by pouring small cups of water into the bag every 10-15 mins. Then emptied the bag along with the Otos into a net over a sink. This is how I acclimate all my fish.
    Last edited by RamGuy13; 06-03-2008 at 06:53 AM.
    30g Long Planted South American BioTope Blue Rams & Apisto + Community
    Formerly Carlos_x3, RamGuy13

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

have a gift.....for the word game - angelcakes   Here you go Mandy! :-) - digital3   Here is another one! - William   Here's another. LOL - ILuvMyGoldBarb   Just for always being so nice! - William   
    Alzheimer's - Crohn's & Colitis - Cystic Fibrosis - Domestic Violence - Fibromyalgia - Leimyosarcoma - Lupus - MandyL   Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - MandyL   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - MandyL   Aphasia - Asthma/Allergies - Brain Cancer - Brain Tumors - Diabetes - Mental Illness - MandyL   

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Slimy

*edit*

Poor little otos. :( I always hate the thought of wild-caught fish in our aquariums.
    Starting over
    15 gal to be a planted community

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Merry Christmas Hailey :) - MeganL3985   Cause your cool!!! - jbeining75   have a beer! - cocoa_pleco   Have to buy a Lady from my neck of the woods a drink - sailor   Heres to one year! - Tolley   
    Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - Hailey   

0 Not allowed!
    Yeah, I'm lucky, I bought 2 about 2 or 3 months ago and still have 2. I love the little guys

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

You need gifts. Have a cookie! - Drumachine09   Good luck with your fishie - RobbieG   Loving what you bring to the forum. Hope you are a long-term friend here! - gm72   For being you - Nick_Pavlovski   Whatever yu want it to be - crackatinny   
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - MeganL3985   Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - MeganL3985   World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - MeganL3985   Gay and Lesbian Pride - MeganL3985   Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - MeganL3985   

0 Not allowed!
    Oh that video was sad. :( Poor lil' guys....
    *Keep Smiling, It Makes People Wonder What Your Up To*

Tanks-
    55 Gallon--On Hold, In Storage...
    20 Gallon High--Tetra and Cory's
    5 Gallon Hex--Guppies (3 Female, 2 Male)
    2.5 Gallon Mini Bow--Future ADF Habitat
    <3 RIP--To My Former Fishies <3

*Aquatic Lounge Chatroom*
    http://theaquaticlounge.chatango.com/