· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

for being a champion =D - Full3R   you need a tang! - cocoa_pleco   

0 Not allowed!
    I put 2 into my 6g...1 died after two months. I replaced it, and 8 months later they are still going strong. Well planted tank, with lots of excess algae for them (deliberately put in lots of aquatic plant fertiliser) plus always make sure they have a parboiled piece of cucumber of zucchini in there for them.
    Currently: Spotted Blue-eyes, two species of Australian shrimp, Ornate Rainbowfish, Guppies, Corydoras, goldfish.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

A poor sub for your Betta - Nick_Pavlovski   Here's a ram for ya - Lady Hobbs   
    Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - Carlos_x3   

0 Not allowed!
    I watch the Oto's, just as I do all my other fish, they seem to be doing great and then all of a sudden I see an Oto struggling for his life upside down in the sand breathing heavily. The last one I have left is 1 inch in size so he has some growing to do but I see that his gills are a blood red color, I'll keep a closer eye on him, I introduced him together with the Oto that died yesterday.

So why do they mysteriously die in good conditions? The first 3 died within days of being introduced, I don't drip acclimate but I think I do a good job acclimating. The next 3 slowly died off a couple weeks later. That leaves one left, we'll see how he does. I'll try feeding some different foods agn, veggies n potatoes.
    30g Long Planted South American BioTope Blue Rams & Apisto + Community
    Formerly Carlos_x3, RamGuy13

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

You need a gift - MeganL3985   Heres another one :) - MeganL3985   good job on the severum! - MCHRKiller   Have a Cory lol - KingFisher   This is for the REAL  Slimy. - KingFisher   

0 Not allowed!
    I personally would stay away from potatoes. They contain toxic compounds (solanine) that are partly destroyed during cooking and they can contain pesticides that are lethal to fish.
    I would say try again, but without feeding potatoes and see if it goes any better. Sweet potatoes are ok and actually all my fish seem to like them.
    Last edited by Slimy; 06-02-2008 at 08:26 AM.

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Well, I got a three otocinclus about 8 months ago, and they were only 99 cents, so I wasn't worried about them dying. I have no algae growth (my tank is crystal clear) and I haven't ever put wafers in it. But the otos have still grown from about an inch each just from sucking on the bare walls. So what I'm saying is, I don't think they require especially special care, just keep the tank clean and oxygenated and the nitrate level down and you should be quite fine.

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    I had otos for awhile, but they did not last. I feed all my algae eaters algae wafers, pellets, and blanched cucumbers (I have never had a fish refuse cucumber so far). Also one thing you could do once the algae supply is depleted, you can keep some rocks in a container of water near a window and allow it to grow algae, then put the rock in the tank for the oto.

If you can get an oto to live through the first week you can usually keep them alive. I believe these guys are sensitive to chemical changes it the water, so just watch the parems. Good luck!
    20g long - 2 Male Bettas
    30g long - 10 Tiger Barbs
    75g - 2 Tiger Oscars

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Here ya go. - troy   Thanks! - Northernguy   A manatee for the nanotank :) - domjd05   thank you - mommy1   

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by RamGuy13
    It can't be starvation because I would always see them with full bellys.
    If I'm not mistaken belly-bloat is rather a sign of sickness than well-fed fish. Correct me if I'm wrong.
    37G - 1 adult male Convict and ~40 of its babies, Java Fern, different Crypts, Anubias Nana and Balansae crypt. Eq't:AC-50, AC-30, Whisper 40 air pump, 150W Visi-Therm heater, 36W Coralife lights :)

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Here ya go. - troy   Thanks! - Northernguy   A manatee for the nanotank :) - domjd05   thank you - mommy1   

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by RamGuy13
    I watch the Oto's, just as I do all my other fish, they seem to be doing great and then all of a sudden I see an Oto struggling for his life upside down in the sand breathing heavily. The last one I have left is 1 inch in size so he has some growing to do but I see that his gills are a blood red color, I'll keep a closer eye on him, I introduced him together with the Oto that died yesterday.

So why do they mysteriously die in good conditions? The first 3 died within days of being introduced, I don't drip acclimate but I think I do a good job acclimating. The next 3 slowly died off a couple weeks later. That leaves one left, we'll see how he does. I'll try feeding some different foods agn, veggies n potatoes.
    Another one - if they were caught in wild, did you check your water parameters, like GH, pH, etc?
    37G - 1 adult male Convict and ~40 of its babies, Java Fern, different Crypts, Anubias Nana and Balansae crypt. Eq't:AC-50, AC-30, Whisper 40 air pump, 150W Visi-Therm heater, 36W Coralife lights :)

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - Carlos_x3   

0 Not allowed!
    When I got the Otos they were skinny, once I introduced them they started eating right away and hence the big bellys. I thought big bellys on Otos was normal? They need to be constantly grazing on food right?

Just so you all know: My water params are good; Nitrates at 10, pH 7.0, 10% water change every couple days so I'd say 25% a week, I double dose with StressCoat conditioner and I age the water for awhile. No sudden change in water params or even a slight change, everything is normal. Medium planted with lots of algae that never completely goes away. No aggressive tank mates. I kept the Otos in groups. I supplemented their diet. Tried veggies, fed wafers, pellets, frozen meaty foods. Everything seems normal to me but yet they die on me.

IMO it has to do with the state of health the Oto's are in at the PetsMart I got them from but then that doesn't make sense because some of them lived in my tank for a few weeks. The money I paid for them doesn't matter to me, the fish matter to me.

So why do they die for no apparent reason? I don't want to give up on keeping Otos.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

You need a gift! Thank you for all your great posts =D - Ryuu   

0 Not allowed!
    ^ yup couldn't agree more. the initial state of the fish before purchased was probably not in a good condition. Maybe, buying otos that have been in the LFS tanks for longer than a week is pretty good IMO. Since they've properly accumulate their tanks, water chemistry and food source. Thus, should be must more adaptable in home aquarium
    Ed
    Cheerz.
    Ed

40 Gallon (AC110, AC70, AC20 & a sponge filter):
    1x female betta
    1x Albino BN
    2x Albino corydoras
    3x Panda corydoras
    8x H.Rasboras
    3x Dwarf gourami (powder-blue var)
    1x Male A.Cacatoides
    2x unsexed juvie A.Aggassizi
    2x unsexed juvie A.Borelli
    3x Peacock gudgeon (1m, 2f)

10 Gallon:
    6x North Australian Chameleon Shrimps (Cardina sp?)
    10 Gallon:
    20+ Cherry shrimps

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    I will try buying again but from a reputable lfs that has kept the Otos they have for over a couple weeks.