· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

You need a beer to go with your name :) - Abbeys_Mom   your christmas present.  It's the 33g, it's folded :) - Abbeys_Mom   Merry X-mas - NorthernBoy   Singing to you.  Can you hear me? - hobbs   In memory of your friend, and a little love for you on that loss - kimmers318   
    Emphysema - Lung Cancer - Lung Disease - Multiple Sclerosis - crackatinny   Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - crackatinny   AIDS/HIV - DARE - DUI Awareness - Epidermolysis Bullosa - Heart Disease - Lymphoma - MADD - Substance Abuse - crackatinny   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - crackatinny   

Default Styrofoam background, advice needed

0 Not allowed!
    I am putting together a new tank, and wanted to go for a styrofoam background, hiding heating, filters tubes etc, I have melted the styrofoam with a heat gun to get the basic shape I am after, now for some colour, this is where I am stuck, what is safe?
    Should I go for a slurry mix of concrete with perhaps some type of natural pigment mixed in?, would this hold up submerged all the time?.
    Or should I go for a resin based paint, would this be safe?

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Thanks for the nice post - Lady Hobbs   a gift your you! - squirt_12   beautiful blue discus - Algenco   felt like it - Lady Hobbs   for all the help! - squirt_12   
    Alzheimer's - Crohn's & Colitis - Cystic Fibrosis - Domestic Violence - Fibromyalgia - Leimyosarcoma - Lupus - ILuvMyGoldBarb   Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - ILuvMyGoldBarb   Graves Disease - Lymphedema - Men's Health - Pro Choice - Prostate Cancer - Scleroderma - Thyroid Disease - Trisomy 18 - ILuvMyGoldBarb   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - ILuvMyGoldBarb   Male Breast Cancer - Pregnancy Loss - Infant Loss - Sudden Infant Death - ILuvMyGoldBarb   

0 Not allowed!
    As I understand it, if you don't use the right kind of concrete or the right kind of paint on top of the concrete, it can leech lime back into your water and make it harder. However I do know that people do use that concrete mix to do what you are proposing and then somehow seal it very well.
    Considering a Marine Aquarium? A Breakdown of the Components, Live Rock, Cycling a Marine Tank

"The capacity to learn is a gift; The ability to learn is a skill; The WILLINGNESS to learn is a choice." - Unknown

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Thanks for the nomination - Cliff   Merry X-mass, and thanks for all of your help this past year, both here and at the store - Cliff   No Message - cer   Thanks for the rep - Cliff   thanks for the betta :D - Cyberra   
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - sailor   Autism - sailor   

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Member of the month, a toast is in order. - Strider199   Sorry about your blood parrot :-( - ~firefly~   For this; http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aquariumforum/showthread.php?t=111325 - Strider199   :-) - ~firefly~   Happy mother's day! Enjoy one on me LOL - imma24   
    Childhood Cancer - hobbs   World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - hobbs   Myasthenia Gravis - Ovarian Cancer - Sexual Assault - Substance Abuse - Lady Hobbs   Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - Lady Hobbs   Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - Lady Hobbs   

0 Not allowed!
    Quikcrete concrete with concrete dye added it to the last couple of coats. (Or what's called Hobby cement.) A darker batch for between the rock cracks. Crack, you're going to have to let each coat dry 2 days and even spraying it with water several times a day to make it dry slower. (Spraying preferred not required.) Not in the sun or wind because drying will crack the cement. You know how cement is when dyed too quickly. 1st coat goes on thin with a brush and other coats go on thick and you can use your hands for that goo. Shape the cement as you want but use GLOVES!

Make sure cement is not on the two sides that will later be siliconed together if you are doing this as a two piece unit. Also, if you are going to put one big piece of styrofoam on the back and glue your pieces to that, that large piece needs to be shorter than the length of your tank so you can dab cement on the sides. Otherwise, from outside the tank you'll see the edges of the styrofoam. A couple inches shy on both sides should let you get your fat, chunky fingers in there to dab cement in that opening?

When you think it's finally done, add a LOT of water softening salt and water to cure the cement. Like half a bag of the stuff. Some use only water but the salt is supposed to help harden it. It will take you a lot of curing and a lot of water changes before your pH goes back down. Like daily for a couple weeks with adding salt only the first 3 or 4 days.

I just threw my styrofoam out a couple weeks ago. I had my pieces all cut a year ago and knew I'd never get around to it. Too long of a process for me and always in too big of a hurry to use the tank.

What also looks neat is slate siliconed to the back of the tank. That one only takes a few days but makes the tank heavy, obviously.

Use lots and lots and lots of silicone to hold your styrofoam down. It's going to want to pop up when you start to fill the tank and will have plenty of pressure on it to do so.

I spent 1 month reading about these cement backgrounds and you might push me in that direction again.
    Last edited by Lady Hobbs; 05-30-2008 at 02:01 PM.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Merry Christmas! - RichBowyer   For the donation...thanks! - A340   Merry Christmas :) - squirt_12   Merry Christmas! - SkarloeysMom   Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year!! - 2manyfish   
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - Drumachine09   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - Drumachine09   Cultural Diversity - Hunger - Leukemia - Lupus - Melanoma - Racial Tolerance - Reflex Sympathetic Dystrophy Syndrome - Self Injury - Drumachine09   Aphasia - Asthma/Allergies - Brain Cancer - Brain Tumors - Diabetes - Mental Illness - Drumachine09   Lou Gehrig's Disease (ALS) - Drumachine09   

0 Not allowed!
    Cool, how big is the tank going to be?

If you have to cut large peices, rig up a hot wire. Just get a long peice of copper wire, and run a small bit of current through it to heat it up, and it cuts like a charm.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Member of the month, a toast is in order. - Strider199   Sorry about your blood parrot :-( - ~firefly~   For this; http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aquariumforum/showthread.php?t=111325 - Strider199   :-) - ~firefly~   Happy mother's day! Enjoy one on me LOL - imma24   
    Childhood Cancer - hobbs   World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - hobbs   Myasthenia Gravis - Ovarian Cancer - Sexual Assault - Substance Abuse - Lady Hobbs   Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - Lady Hobbs   Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - Lady Hobbs   

0 Not allowed!
    LOL I flicked my Bic. Had blisters on every finger! Finally tried my hair dryer and that would OK but would turn off once it over heated.
    Last edited by Lady Hobbs; 05-30-2008 at 06:25 PM.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Welcome to the A.C fellow Dutchy  xxxx - Fishalicious   Happy Valentines Day xxx - Fishalicious   thanks for the nomination :) - shalafi04   thanks for the tubes!!! - sharkbite   Hope your little gal is better soon xxxx - Fishalicious   

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Lady Hobbs
    LOL I flicked my Bic. Had blisters on every finger! Finally tried my hair dryer and that wouldn't OK but would turn off once it over heated.
    LMAO - A smoker's tool, the lighter LOL I shouldn't laugh, but it just struck me as hilarious.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Made smoking for a week rather painful! LOL

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Welcome to the A.C fellow Dutchy  xxxx - Fishalicious   Happy Valentines Day xxx - Fishalicious   thanks for the nomination :) - shalafi04   thanks for the tubes!!! - sharkbite   Hope your little gal is better soon xxxx - Fishalicious   

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Lady Hobbs
    Made smoking for a week rather painful! LOL
    Just buy a blowtorch for any DIY fishy projects, and you'll always have a "spare" lighter to hand (no pun intended)...I hate lighter and ash blisters

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Don't use Resin Paint it will melt the styrofoam. I found a site that said you can use fiber glass resin on your styrofoam. Don't use it it will eat it up like a starving man.