· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Thread: shell dwellers

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

you looked a little bare - Algenco   I enjoy reading your threads/posts! :) - MeganL3985   In memory of Mindi - crackatinny   Goodluck with your paper :) - MeganL3985   Always a very nice poster - Lady Hobbs   
    World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - ladyoutlaw50   Aphasia - Asthma/Allergies - Brain Cancer - Brain Tumors - Diabetes - Mental Illness - ladyoutlaw50   Myasthenia Gravis - Ovarian Cancer - Sexual Assault - Substance Abuse - ladyoutlaw50   Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - ladyoutlaw50   Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - ladyoutlaw50   

Default shell dwellers

0 Not allowed!
    After reading different things on here as well as some awesome information that some of you have provided -- I have decided to do a 10gal. with shell dwelling cichlids.
    Can anyone tell me the best type of sand to get as well as what type of filter I should get? I am not sure where to get the shells -- I am going to log on to ebay and amazon and look for some books as well
    I am asking here first as you all have so many ideas and suggestions!!
    Thanks in advance for any and all advice on my new venture!! don't feel you have to limit suggestions and such to just sand and filters -- any advice would be awesome!!
    again thanks to all!!
    Kim

"Say what you mean and
    Mean what you say"

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    In my Tangiyikan tank i use a mixture of crushed coral and dry aragonite as substrate. As for filters I like whisper brand due to the price and availibility of parts. Whisper also has very little "flow by". I always oversize my filters i.e. a 20 gallon gets a 40 gallon filter a 50 gallon gets two 30-60 filters. As for shells you could check your local Wal-Mart (or such dept store). Also craft stores usually have some selection of shells. GOOD LUCK
    Vet: Why is your snake's name "Big Nasty"?

Owner: Have you ever seen a 26', 250 lb python relieve its self.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

you looked a little bare - Algenco   I enjoy reading your threads/posts! :) - MeganL3985   In memory of Mindi - crackatinny   Goodluck with your paper :) - MeganL3985   Always a very nice poster - Lady Hobbs   
    World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - ladyoutlaw50   Aphasia - Asthma/Allergies - Brain Cancer - Brain Tumors - Diabetes - Mental Illness - ladyoutlaw50   Myasthenia Gravis - Ovarian Cancer - Sexual Assault - Substance Abuse - ladyoutlaw50   Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - ladyoutlaw50   Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - ladyoutlaw50   

0 Not allowed!
    Thank you -- I have whisper now and have had no issues with them. I also go with the next size up for my tank!!!
    So pretty much any shell will work?? I haven't seen any shell dwelling cichlids sold in any lfs, where should I look for them?? any ideas??
    Kim

"Say what you mean and
    Mean what you say"

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Thanks for the nomination - Cliff   Merry X-mass, and thanks for all of your help this past year, both here and at the store - Cliff   No Message - cer   Thanks for the rep - Cliff   thanks for the betta :D - Cyberra   
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - sailor   Autism - sailor   

0 Not allowed!
    As far as sand goes I use Pool Filter Sand on all my african cichlid tanks. This forum might help you locate some shellies as well as some of the shells.

http://www.cichlid-forum.com/

Hope this helps
    Sailor

Aye Aye

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Wishing You A Happy New Year!!! - Jill   Happy New year - Celtic Fins   May the Anti troll force be with you. - Celtic Fins   2001 posts! - Northernguy   For your helpful fry advice - Cliff   

0 Not allowed!
    I'd recommend multi's, they're the smallest and easiest to keep/breed. You'd be much better off with a 20 long, but you can keep a pair and some fry in a 10. I got my shells from cichlidbreeding.com (45 gold-mouth turbo shells for my colony of multi's), good selection and reasonable prices.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Thanks toddnbecka and sailor!! and Devon greatwolf!!! As soon as I get home from work today I will be checking those sites out!! I already have a 10 gal and that is why I decided to go with that --you think they will be ok in a 10 tho?
    what about cycling?? never have done a fishless cycle before -- would u recommend one for this tank??
    thanks again to all!!!
    have a great day!!
    Kim

"Say what you mean and
    Mean what you say"

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Thanks for the nomination - Cliff   Merry X-mass, and thanks for all of your help this past year, both here and at the store - Cliff   No Message - cer   Thanks for the rep - Cliff   thanks for the betta :D - Cyberra   
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - sailor   Autism - sailor   

0 Not allowed!
    Just squeeze some filter media from a seeded filter and use some water from other set up tanks. All most an instant cycled tank.
    Sailor

Aye Aye

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Wishing You A Happy New Year!!! - Jill   Happy New year - Celtic Fins   May the Anti troll force be with you. - Celtic Fins   2001 posts! - Northernguy   For your helpful fry advice - Cliff   

0 Not allowed!
    Multi's would be the best bet for a 10 gallon tank because they're colony-oriented fish, as well as being the smallest species of cichlid. They're quite protective of their fry until the young males become mature, then they're "kicked out" of the dominant male's territory. Other, larger species will at best ignore their fry soon after they're free-swimming, and often eat them.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    thanks for all the good advice!! I truly appreciate it!! Can't wait to get started!!!
    Kim

"Say what you mean and
    Mean what you say"