· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Lady Hobbs
    Will it work better in the sun or in the dark?

Gave me a perfect thing to use my big change jar for.....since I have no change in it. LOL

lol!

It will more than likely do well in either. Though say in better sunlgiht the water would be a bit warmer that would probably help.

50G Tank - Kyathit Danios, Zebra Danio, Swordtails, Silver Hatchetfish, Platy, Gold Barbs, Cherry Barbs, Bolivian Rams, Apisto, Zebra Loaches.
    20G 'Nano Fish' Tank - Pygmy Rasboras, Lampeyes, Sparkling Gouramis, CPD, Bronze Corydoras, Cherry Shrimp
    Wanted: More CPD's and Loaches.
    Keep updated with my fish world in my Blog! And my tanks Blog!

0 Not allowed!
    Thanks a lot. One of the folks I was chatting with on the rainbow forum told me they tossed a bunch of plants in a bucket and set them outside in a pail of water for a couple weeks. When they returned, the pail was full of fry. Apparently the plants work as a food source for them as well and may have been getting something from the hornwort in their tank.

You can buy just egg mops of rainbow eggs but where those people get $49 for shipping is beyond me. Even if it did take 3 days for the mops to arrive mailed priority mail for $7, the eggs would survive. I don't get where they're coming from.

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    egg mops?

Oh one thing. That change jar.. Do you think the copper and other change will leave any sort of residue that could be harmful to the infusoria? Just a thought.

0 Not allowed!
    Naw......glass is not porous.

Eggs mops are something that the fish spawn in. They are collected and sold to the buyer to raise the young.

I got my fry without trying. I decided to move my java moss from one tank to another. Whoaaaaaa........fry all over the place a day or two later.

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    might fork for your fry, I make instant green water for my baby ghost shrimp by putting salad greens with water in a blender for a few minutes then scooping off all the pulp and straining it through a net. the resulting green water seems to be working for them. you also might be able to use spirulina flour you can find in the health food section.

0 Not allowed!
    Good idea. Thanks. Never heard of spirulina flour.

Here's another one:

Infusion Recipes: Standard recipes involve boiling hay or grass in water and using the cooled “tea.” One rabbit food pellet per jar is about the same thing. Other infusoria growers blenderize lettuce leaves. Some just grab a handful of aquarium plants and squeeze the juice (and infusoria) from them. In other words, you can invent your own formula.
    Last edited by Lady Hobbs; 05-25-2008 at 09:53 PM.

0 Not allowed!
    yeah that works too. If you have amazon swords they are good. Thick with juice!

50G Tank - Kyathit Danios, Zebra Danio, Swordtails, Silver Hatchetfish, Platy, Gold Barbs, Cherry Barbs, Bolivian Rams, Apisto, Zebra Loaches.
    20G 'Nano Fish' Tank - Pygmy Rasboras, Lampeyes, Sparkling Gouramis, CPD, Bronze Corydoras, Cherry Shrimp
    Wanted: More CPD's and Loaches.
    Keep updated with my fish world in my Blog! And my tanks Blog!

0 Not allowed!
    Hobbsy,
    You'll have to feed them infusoria for seven to ten days, followed by Rotifers, then BBS. Just use the next larger food when they start to ignore the smaller size. Standard for wee tiny egg-layer fry.
    Yep, you could use green water, but to get a rich enough culture to raise a bunch of fry, you'd have to use the method in my culture manual. Sorry to say it takes a good deal of work to raise egg-layer fry.

Dave
    When a finger points to the moon, the imbecile looks at the finger.

Omnia mutantur nihil interit.

The more you read, the more things you will know. The more that you learn, the more places you'll go

9. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Spirulina is becoming a popular nutritional supplement otherwise I'd have probably never heard of spirulina flour either.

0 Not allowed!
    What the heck do they eat in the wild? Gunk from the plants, I suppose, until they can fend for themselves. My tank now has fry that appear to be from one day to one week. My firemouth fry are a breeze to these fish. I just gave the firemouth dried shrimp eggs and crushed flakes.