· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Rainbow fry still living

0 Not allowed!
    But I don't know how these guys are making it. These fish are such small fry that they are often kept in petre dishes by breeders and have a high mortality rate.

I can understand why they are so expensive to buy. Even on AquaBid 3 rainbows are about $40 and another $49 for shipping. (I don't understand their shipping charges! Even the online fish stores charge $29 for shipping no matter how many fish you buy.)

Rainbows spawn daily, about 30 eggs a day, so it would be a constant deal if you wanted to raise them but feeding them is a whole new matter. They can not eat brine shrimp or any of the normal fry foods for some time. They need powder foods and other liquid foods........all of which I do not have......so why they are still alive remains a mystery. I tried some egg yolk but that only made a mess of things. They can be raised in green water, also.

So, I am struggling thru with these babies with none of the right foods for them so we'll see how it goes. But, for the price of bows, it would be to your benefit to learn how to feed them and raise your own. I will see if I can order some powder food for them but I am not planning on anything living. The fry are barely visible to the naked eye when they first hatch. Dots!

How do you feed a dot!

0 Not allowed!
    What species of fish are you talking about here? LOL
    Considering a Marine Aquarium? A Breakdown of the Components, Live Rock, Cycling a Marine Tank

"The capacity to learn is a gift; The ability to learn is a skill; The WILLINGNESS to learn is a choice." - Unknown

0 Not allowed!
    Did you read the title? Rainbows. Australian rainbows to be precise.

0 Not allowed!
    have you tried infusoria?

What to feed fry you cant even see?

Food you cant even see!!

50G Tank - Kyathit Danios, Zebra Danio, Swordtails, Silver Hatchetfish, Platy, Gold Barbs, Cherry Barbs, Bolivian Rams, Apisto, Zebra Loaches.
    20G 'Nano Fish' Tank - Pygmy Rasboras, Lampeyes, Sparkling Gouramis, CPD, Bronze Corydoras, Cherry Shrimp
    Wanted: More CPD's and Loaches.
    Keep updated with my fish world in my Blog! And my tanks Blog!

0 Not allowed!
    *doh!* missed that one hobbs. LOL
    Considering a Marine Aquarium? A Breakdown of the Components, Live Rock, Cycling a Marine Tank

"The capacity to learn is a gift; The ability to learn is a skill; The WILLINGNESS to learn is a choice." - Unknown

0 Not allowed!
    Yea, been talking to those in the rainbow forum that do this all the time but I would rather not get into foods you have to make or mess with. I'm not planning to become a breeder but would like to "save" at least a dozen of these babies.

Hey...............I just read you can make infusoria from plain old lettuce in a bucket of water. Off I go to try this "receipt."
    Last edited by Lady Hobbs; 05-25-2008 at 02:50 PM.

0 Not allowed!
    it isnt as hard as it sounds!

simply get an empty clean jar. Fill it with aquarium water. Add some lettuce leaves. Then leave for a few days.

Bingo! fry food!

50G Tank - Kyathit Danios, Zebra Danio, Swordtails, Silver Hatchetfish, Platy, Gold Barbs, Cherry Barbs, Bolivian Rams, Apisto, Zebra Loaches.
    20G 'Nano Fish' Tank - Pygmy Rasboras, Lampeyes, Sparkling Gouramis, CPD, Bronze Corydoras, Cherry Shrimp
    Wanted: More CPD's and Loaches.
    Keep updated with my fish world in my Blog! And my tanks Blog!

8. Default

0 Not allowed!
    How does that make infusoria?

0 Not allowed!
    Will it work better in the sun or in the dark?

Gave me a perfect thing to use my big change jar for.....since I have no change in it. LOL

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Minderella83
    How does that make infusoria?
    http://bettalistserv.tripod.com/Infusoria.htm

This talks of straining, etc. Other sites don't even mention that much.