· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is there room?

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Default Is there room?

0 Not allowed!
    I have a 26 gallon tank with 1 Angelfish, 2 Pink Kissers, 6 Harlequin Rasboras, 2 Flame Tetras, and 4 corydoras (not exactly a space hog.... http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...441#post16441),
    My question is can i fill out the Flame Tetras into a small school, maybe 5-6? THeir survivors btw, I didnt just grab 2 because they looked nice.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Merry Christmas - Abbeys_Mom   Great advice thanks - nraposa   Thanks for helping me with my cichlids - Drumachine09   Always good answers - Lady Hobbs   You dont have enough gifts. - Drumachine09   

0 Not allowed!
    What filtration do you have? What is your water change schedule?
    Aquarist since 1995
    Biologist and Published Author in Multiple Aquarium Magazines
    Owner: Aquarium Maintenance Company
    Advanced Aquarium Concepts: Articles about many aspects of aquarium care.

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    I have a Penguin Biowheel 150, made for 30 gallon tanks, so slightly over-filtered, and i do water changes of 25% every 4-5 days, and i have to add water ever y 2-3 days because of evaporation (dry winter here).

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Merry Christmas - Abbeys_Mom   Great advice thanks - nraposa   Thanks for helping me with my cichlids - Drumachine09   Always good answers - Lady Hobbs   You dont have enough gifts. - Drumachine09   

0 Not allowed!
    Whatever a filter claims it can handle, you need to cut that in half. So you need filtration rated for at least twice the actual volume of the tank. So before spending money on more fish, I would add more filtration. When you do add gish, make sure you total at least 6 for each schooling species (the flame tetras, rasboras, and the cories). Harlequin rasboras do best when in big schools of 10-12.
    Aquarist since 1995

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    You sure? The water current seems almost too quick as it is.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    It should not be an issue. My 40high has a Fluval 405 and a Whisper 60. With adequate decorations the current should quickly be disipated. With hang on backs the current is usually disipated onto the front of the tank. It may be strong right at the output, but through most of the tank it should be a lot lower.
    Aquarist since 1995

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Merry Christmas (it's the worlds smallest dwarf puffer) - Abbeys_Mom   Strawberry Daquari please....from Hobbs - hobbs   You need more good luck - hobbs   Because you are my hero! - f1oored   For your Dad - crackatinny   
    Childhood Cancer - kimmers318   

0 Not allowed!
    It seems to me that even with overfiltration you are close to being maxed stock....the saving grace is that the cories stick to the bottom and the others probably hang higher, which in my opinion defintely helps when stocking to the limits....this way the fish aren't fighting for space among themselves. My biggest concern would be that angels get rather large don't they....and are also pretty territorial. Is yours full grown and laid back....or is there a possibility that when it is all grown up he/she might get a little cranky sharing space? A good way to tell in my experience if your filter is handling the load you have well is to check water parameters frequently...maybe every other day, for a few weeks. See if 1) you are getting any ammonia or nitrite reads and 2) how long it takes for your nitrates to build up. If all is staying well you might try getting away with just adding 2 fish for now....and then watch again to see if things stay stable. I know ALOT of people go with the double filtration method, but I have a 30 gal that came with it's own filter, I am pretty sure the manufacturer included a filter for the tank volume, not something double....and it is always fine.....same with my 5 gal....it is overstocked slightly, but all stays well, the cories stay on the bottom, the betta on top. My 10 gal dp tank came with a filter for 10-15 gal tanks....and although dps are small, they are carnivores which generally leads one to believe messy tank....never an issue there either. Hubby's 90 gal has a magnum rated for 100 gal tanks....all is well there with 2 oscars and a HUGE pleco. Only my 20 gal tank has 2 filters running to keep it crystal....one rated for 10 gal, one for 20 gal.....the difference in my opinion is that neither of those filters has a biowheel....whereas the others all do. My next big purchase after the holidays will be a biowheel filter system for that tank.
    Kimmer

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Yeah, I love my biowheel, i had one before with no biowheel and it was always ALMOST clear..... but yeah, I've been doing readings, and i have absolutelly no ammonia, and very low levels of nitrates/nitrites. I havn't seen a spike in a week, so its pretty stable. And the angel is semi-small right now, but I have a tallish tank (about 20 inches I believe), and the kissers decidedto pick the top of the water as their terrotory... along with one lone rasbora who likes to "ride" the filter output :D

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    i don t know that i would put any more stress on the bioload, and think about it, tall tanks have a smaller surface area so less gass is exchanged meaning less fish you can keep.About fitration, you can never be underfiltered and usually what the filter claims to do is not accurate, increase the filtration. If you do increase bioload then check your water constantly and remember to do weekly partial water changes.
    :
    Wall Mouted
    Custom Made
    174Gl fully cycled
    350# Aragonite white gravel
    2x Fluval 405 Canister filters
    37# of Rock

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    I said somewhat-tall, not tall. Heres a pic: http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y21...s/11270007.jpg