· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
  1. Default Behavioural adaptation of my bronze corys

0 Not allowed!
    For those of you who don't really know my fish (and that's probably most of you) I've kept angel fish and bronze corys for the past 3 years. Almost three months ago I moved them into their current 70 gal tank. The move went fine (mostly, my one angel's not so hot but that story is for another time) and my fish, plants and water are doing nicely. So I felt it was time to get some new inhabitants, and for some reason I really wanted some loaches. I ended up getting some skunk loaches a month ago (I like to call them skinks though) 6 to be exact and they were everything I wanted. My bottom to middle section of the tank is really active now with the bold and mischeveous loaches (which is also something I should elaborate on some other time).

But anyway, I really should get to the point of this post, which is how my Corys have adapted to having the quite territorial loaches to contend with.

There are very definite sections which have been defined as loach only and cory only. The loaches have staked out most of the front section of the tank as theirs (where i usually drop the food) while the corys now bustle around the back and sides. They have also taken to resting quite high up in the tank on broader plant leaves out of sight of the loaches. It was quite interesting to see two of my male corys resting side by side on one of the amazon sword leaves! The angels leave the corys alone, even when they are pretty high up on the plants. And finally, when the corys do come to the front of the tank (usually during feeding time) they will definitely stick together and form a vigirously waggling mass around the food, discouraging the loaches from nipping at them.

I thought I'd share this as I think their adaptation is very interesting, and in a way makes me think corys can be quite smart if they need to.

Awards Showcase

No Message - Abbeys_Mom Please accept this as a token of my appreciation - crackatinny Merry X-mas - NorthernBoy For being a great poster from Hobbs - hobbs thank you so much!!!  you're awesome!  here's some champagne!  i know, you can't drink it!!  lololol - jeffs99dime 
    A rose for you, just for being you....all Moms deserve flowers! - kimmers318 Back at ya! - hobbs Sorry I beat your Tetris record :D - Chrona You need some good luck! - Lady Hobbs That one might not be enough!! - Lady Hobbs 
    candy, little girl? - Lady Hobbs Happy Mothers Day! - Drumachine09 A Birthday drink - crackatinny WELCOME BACK! - Lady Hobbs Happy B-day, and thank you for the cake! - DemonShark 
    For your new tank - Northernguy Have another! - Northernguy 
    Male Breast Cancer - Pregnancy Loss - Infant Loss - Sudden Infant Death - Abbeys_Mom Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - Abbeys_Mom Childhood Cancer - Abbeys_Mom Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - Abbeys_Mom 

0 Not allowed!
    It's definitely neat to watch how fish sort out their territories. Skunk loaches look interesting, but I have always been a fan of the snakier loaches like Kuhli or Weather. How are Corys as tanks mates in you opinion? I have some dwarf gouramis and a weather loach in my tank and was thinking of adding 2 Corys.

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    IMHO corys are pretty much perfect tank mates, they are peacefull, quite hardy, easy to feed and keep, easy to breed as well and they don't get that big.

I'm not sure what it is in inches but bronze corys (and I think it goes for most others as well) don't really get bigger than 8cm. My oldest female is about that big and my males are roughly 6.5 - 7 cm. The only thing I'd recommend though is make sure you have some hiding places for them, whether it be plants or drift wood and try to get them in a group of at least 3. My corys have always been much happier and active in groups.

The corys won't bother your gouramis or weather loach at all, they'll waggle around on their own little missions, looking incredibly cute in their own eccentric way.

Awards Showcase

No Message - Abbeys_Mom Please accept this as a token of my appreciation - crackatinny Merry X-mas - NorthernBoy For being a great poster from Hobbs - hobbs thank you so much!!!  you're awesome!  here's some champagne!  i know, you can't drink it!!  lololol - jeffs99dime 
    A rose for you, just for being you....all Moms deserve flowers! - kimmers318 Back at ya! - hobbs Sorry I beat your Tetris record :D - Chrona You need some good luck! - Lady Hobbs That one might not be enough!! - Lady Hobbs 
    candy, little girl? - Lady Hobbs Happy Mothers Day! - Drumachine09 A Birthday drink - crackatinny WELCOME BACK! - Lady Hobbs Happy B-day, and thank you for the cake! - DemonShark 
    For your new tank - Northernguy Have another! - Northernguy 
    Male Breast Cancer - Pregnancy Loss - Infant Loss - Sudden Infant Death - Abbeys_Mom Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - Abbeys_Mom Childhood Cancer - Abbeys_Mom Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - Abbeys_Mom 

0 Not allowed!
    I'm torn between Sparkling gouramis and Corys for a new addition. I've had the gouramis before, but their lifespan is so short (2-3 years). I'm think that corys would be more visible. I'd have to add more hiding spots, the bristlenose I have rules the only ornament.

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    For the most part....cories are way too cute and laid back...very good additions to community tanks. I had an issue one time with my albino who lost part of a fin and just looked miserable. Then when she stayed front and center in the tank all of the time...never hanging with the other cories, I knew it was time to move her. This happened after adding the laser cories so I suspected them. I moved the albino and bronze to another tank and she healed right up and is fine now. I suppose it could have been someone else, and sometimes I consider putting the lasers in her tank to see if they act up, but haven't been able to bring myself to do it.
    Kimmer