· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Thread: Hello

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Default Hello

0 Not allowed!
    Hi,

I have just joined this Forum, so hello to all!

I am getting back into fish keeping after a few years away and am picking up my new 4ft aquarium next week, very exciting.

Cheers, Simon.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Thanks for helping me with my cichlids - Drumachine09   Just to thank you for the points! - Sarahmom   

0 Not allowed!
    Welcome Simon,
    This place is great. I hope you feel at home right away. BTW, what are you planning for your new aquarium?
    Some innocents 'scape not the thunderbolt

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

No Message - Abbeys_Mom   Please accept this as a token of my appreciation - crackatinny   Merry X-mas - NorthernBoy   For being a great poster from Hobbs - hobbs   thank you so much!!!  you're awesome!  here's some champagne!  i know, you can't drink it!!  lololol - jeffs99dime   
    Male Breast Cancer - Pregnancy Loss - Infant Loss - Sudden Infant Death - Abbeys_Mom   Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - Abbeys_Mom   Childhood Cancer - Abbeys_Mom   Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - Abbeys_Mom   

0 Not allowed!
    Welcome to the forum.

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Thanks for the welcome!

I am planning to use a sand substrate this time (always used gravel before), and plant it up quite densly at the back. I have always fancied keeping Discus, but will leave that to a while down the line. Want quite a natural looking tank with bogwood and some natural stone. Will start with a good community tank and maybe leave room for discus later.

I like so many fish it is difficult to choose a group that will be happy together - I like Ram cichlids and Kribs, facy keeping some rainbowfish, also a group of Cory's and maybe a plec, also like clown loaches. Have a soft spot for Dwarf Gouramis but they are a bit delicate for most of these fish (have seen them get bullied before, not nice!). Might find out about a bigger goramis like pearl or three spot? Then of course there is the good old tetra - probably cardinals and maybe some rummy nose. Then might go for some surface fish like danios for a bit of movement at the top.

Still reading up on the compatability of these, my immediate concern is getting the substrate right at the start. Going for silica sand with a undersoil heater and mixed with a suitable fertiliser.

Cheers.