· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Member of the month, a toast is in order. - Strider199   Sorry about your blood parrot :-( - ~firefly~   For this; http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aquariumforum/showthread.php?t=111325 - Strider199   :-) - ~firefly~   Happy mother's day! Enjoy one on me LOL - imma24   
    Childhood Cancer - hobbs   World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - hobbs   Myasthenia Gravis - Ovarian Cancer - Sexual Assault - Substance Abuse - Lady Hobbs   Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - Lady Hobbs   Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - Lady Hobbs   

Default Rotting stem plants

0 Not allowed!
    Something happened with my new stem plants. They all rotted off at the roots (or melted) and none of them made it. My red temple and ludwigia both. Everything else is doing fine.

186 watts/55 gallon/Flourish fert and Flourish tab/CO2

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

you need a gift - cocoa_pleco   Thanks for the sump help :) - Blu-ray   For the next fishing season - DragonGoby   for being helpful and nice! - jphonger   To make the difference ;op - DragonGoby   
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - Sasquatch   

0 Not allowed!
    I'm having the same problem with my pennyworts ...

With my hygrophilas I find it useful to leave the stem free floating for a while (week or two) until roots start to develop and then plant it. I've done this several times and have yet to loose a hygrophila.

But it doesn't seem to be working with the pennywort ....

Best of luck.
    My AC Fish Gallery:
    Another gallery with my fish

21 Gallon - 3 Ornate Tetras, 7 Pencilfish, 1 Oto cat, 7 Amano shrimp, 1 Peckoltia brevis, 1 clown pleco
    15 Gallon - 1 clown pleco, 6 threadfin rainbows
    10 Gallon - 7 Galaxy Rasboras, 4 Betta rutilans, Cherry shrimp, 1 Hillstream Loach
    65 Gallon - Cycling!

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Member of the month, a toast is in order. - Strider199   Sorry about your blood parrot :-( - ~firefly~   For this; http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aquariumforum/showthread.php?t=111325 - Strider199   :-) - ~firefly~   Happy mother's day! Enjoy one on me LOL - imma24   
    Childhood Cancer - hobbs   World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - hobbs   Myasthenia Gravis - Ovarian Cancer - Sexual Assault - Substance Abuse - Lady Hobbs   Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - Lady Hobbs   Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - Lady Hobbs   

0 Not allowed!
    Thanks Charles. The guy I get my plants from says to do the same thing. Leave the lead weights on and just leave the clunk in the tank somewhere. Put a fert tab near where you want the roots to grow to and let it go until you see roots.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Thanks for the nice post - Lady Hobbs   a gift your you! - squirt_12   beautiful blue discus - Algenco   felt like it - Lady Hobbs   for all the help! - squirt_12   
    Alzheimer's - Crohn's & Colitis - Cystic Fibrosis - Domestic Violence - Fibromyalgia - Leimyosarcoma - Lupus - ILuvMyGoldBarb   Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - ILuvMyGoldBarb   Graves Disease - Lymphedema - Men's Health - Pro Choice - Prostate Cancer - Scleroderma - Thyroid Disease - Trisomy 18 - ILuvMyGoldBarb   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - ILuvMyGoldBarb   Male Breast Cancer - Pregnancy Loss - Infant Loss - Sudden Infant Death - ILuvMyGoldBarb   

0 Not allowed!
    Actually, stem plants tend to do this as a survival mechanism. If they are not getting enough light the stems will rot off just above the substrate and the plant will let go and float to the surface where it can get more light. I suspect the plants are being shadowed and not getting enough light. These plants need to be planted out in the open until they can grow tall enough to get sufficent light.
    Considering a Marine Aquarium? A Breakdown of the Components, Live Rock, Cycling a Marine Tank

"The capacity to learn is a gift; The ability to learn is a skill; The WILLINGNESS to learn is a choice." - Unknown

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

you need some gifts - Lady Hobbs   strawberry daquari anyone? - Lady Hobbs   food, food, food - Lady Hobbs   My hero! - Lady Hobbs   Have another? - Drumachine09   
    Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - xoolooxunny   Cultural Diversity - Hunger - Leukemia - Lupus - Melanoma - Racial Tolerance - Reflex Sympathetic Dystrophy Syndrome - Self Injury - xoolooxunny   

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by ILuvMyGoldBarb
    Actually, stem plants tend to do this as a survival mechanism. If they are not getting enough light the stems will rot off just above the substrate and the plant will let go and float to the surface where it can get more light. I suspect the plants are being shadowed and not getting enough light. These plants need to be planted out in the open until they can grow tall enough to get sufficent light.
    I would think 186watts would be MORE than enough for temples/ludwigia, as mine do well at 1wpg. do you have any floating plants in there shadowing as ILMGB suggested?
    -75g FW community, planted
    -10g FW guppies, planted
    -44g Terrarium, tree frog, various plants.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Thanks for the quote - **AquaQueen**   Message for you sir! - Aeonflame   

0 Not allowed!
    rotting stems are happening with my diandra as well.I have 270watts, it didnt make sense to me as to why till GBs post.I get shadowing from the ludwigia and occasionally my water lettuce.I shall relocate the diandra.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    No floating plants at all. When I used just soil master select, this was not a problem I had but it's light and dirty and was hard to hold in the stem plants so I put gravel on top to give some weight to it. Been having that problem since the gravel went on top.

This "melting" has been more than with just stem plants. My vals keep melting, too, and the cardinal plant I liked so well is gone. Just melted away and that come in a pot, all rooted.

I need to change out my substrate and get something for plants I see.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

For outstanding care of a Corydoras - Brookfish   more discus for you: - Lady Hobbs   brookfish ! for your good photos now give me some tips hahha on photographing rummies. - LORENZO   No Message - LORENZO   dougZ - LORENZO   

0 Not allowed!
    just has a meltdown with a new polysperma. Strange for that plant. The sword I bought with it is just fine. I usually leave the lead weight on it where it just holds the plant down and in a few days there will be some new roots. i will take what is left of the polysperma and re-plant in the red fluourite substrate in the other tank. Flourish fertilizer is fine and also Kent plant accelerator.Kent Freshwater Plant is also a good one I use.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    This thread is 7 months old and by now the plant is long gone.