· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: alkalinity

1. Default

0 Not allowed!
    It likely has been occuring the entire time. Likely not a problem, but it doesn't hurt to smooth out the swing a bit. Add the macro algae to the fuge and increase the fuge size if you can. It may help a bit, but you're still going to get a small swing.

- Bill
    90G Reef Build Thread

90 Gallon Reef: Ocellaris Clowns, Midas Blenny, Ignitus Anthias, Various inverts
    20 Gallon SW Quarantine: Exquisite Wrasse
    10 Gallon SW Quarantine: Empty
    55 Gallon Community: Neon Tetras, Gold Neon Tetras, GloFish, Corydoras (paleatus & trilineatus), Otocinclus, Mollies, Platies, Apple Snails
    5 Gallon: Crowntail Betta, African Dwarf Frog

0 Not allowed!
    I decided to do a little research as to the cause of pH drops during the night in reef tanks and I came up with some rather interesting info. Corals and Macro Algae are both photosynthetic organisms and as such they respire during dark periods. When the organisms respire they release CO2. The release of the CO2 when they respire is what causes the pH drops in reef tanks. In order to prevent a pH swing, you need to ensure that the amount of CO2 being respired during the night equals that being respired during the day. The only way to prevent this 100% is to have the biomass of photosynthetic organisms in the refugium equal that in the main system. Since this is generally not possible there will be somewhat of a pH swing.

As a result of this explanation, the previous recommendation of increasing the size of the refugium will have a double effect. First it will increase nitrate reduction and second it will increase CO2 production during the day this leveling out the pH and decreasing the amoung of the swing.

As a result of all this, the swing probably hasn't been occuring the entire time the tank has been setup, as the biomass of photosynthetic organisms increases, so does the amount of CO2 being released.
    Considering a Marine Aquarium? A Breakdown of the Components, Live Rock, Cycling a Marine Tank

"The capacity to learn is a gift; The ability to learn is a skill; The WILLINGNESS to learn is a choice." - Unknown

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Yep, I knew that, but it's nice to get the confirmation. I guess I should have elaborated. I could have saved you some research time. The reason I said the swing has likely been happening the entire time is he most likely has always had far more photosynthetic organisms in his display then his fuge (algae in the beginning, corals and algae now). There's no telling how big the swings have been, but they've surely been there.

- Bill
    90G Reef Build Thread

90 Gallon Reef: Ocellaris Clowns, Midas Blenny, Ignitus Anthias, Various inverts
    20 Gallon SW Quarantine: Exquisite Wrasse
    10 Gallon SW Quarantine: Empty
    55 Gallon Community: Neon Tetras, Gold Neon Tetras, GloFish, Corydoras (paleatus & trilineatus), Otocinclus, Mollies, Platies, Apple Snails
    5 Gallon: Crowntail Betta, African Dwarf Frog