· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

0 Not allowed!
    The problem with flushing fish is that, if the fish is still alive, it will die a horrible death in the chemical baths at the treatment plant.
    8 tanks running now:
    1x 220 gallon, 2x55 gallon, 1x40 gallon long, 1x29 gallon, 1x20 gallon long, 1x5.5 gallon, 1x2 gallon
    Gouramis, barbs, rasboras, plecos, corys, tetras, fancy guppies, swordtails, ottos, rainbow shark, upside-down catfish, snails, and Max and Sparkles the bettas.

Awards Showcase

You need a gift - Lady Hobbs Have a beer on me - sailor Fresh outta the Chesapeke...maybe..lol - jbeining75 happy 21st birthday yay - angelcakes Happy birthday! - Tigerbarb 
    Thanks for the congrats...decided to share my wealth LOL - Fishalicious For helping AC with profiles! - William Welcome Back xxx - Fishalicious Good to see you back on. Gotta give one for a local. - oldhead Have  beer on me! Its the weekend. - northernguy 
    Same to you! - NickFish Happy thanksgiving! Enjoy your algae stay away from turkey! : ) - The Red Severum For being so welcoming to a newbie. - Brookfish A Little Extra Luck For You! - Northernguy This one moves! LOL - Wild Turkey 
    For being a great contributor to the community - ILuvMyGoldBarb for driving participation in the forum - Gemini for breaking your winning streak - mrs fishpatrick here tuck in LOL - mrs fishpatrick FOR TEACHING ME SO MUCH - waterhog 
    Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - turkey151 Emphysema - Lung Cancer - Lung Disease - Multiple Sclerosis - turkey151 Graves Disease - Lymphedema - Men's Health - Pro Choice - Prostate Cancer - Scleroderma - Thyroid Disease - Trisomy 18 - Wild Turkey Adoptee - Bone Cancer - Child Exploitation and Abuse - Hope and Support - Peace - Retinoblastoma - Right to Life - Student Sexual Assault - Wild Turkey Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - Wild Turkey 
    Aphasia - Asthma/Allergies - Brain Cancer - Brain Tumors - Diabetes - Mental Illness - Wild Turkey 

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by gm72
    The problem with flushing fish is that, if the fish is still alive, it will die a horrible death in the chemical baths at the treatment plant.
    Good point, probably even worse if you have a septic tank....Also, in maryland water treatment is a very large problem, as the biggest issue is water not being treated enough that flows into the Bay. We have lots of problems, due to the large amount of animal waste and plant fertilizers that farmers are washing into the bay, via irrigation so our treatment is below par to say the least. And im sure that diseases of dead fish can also be passed onto fish in our beatufiul bay with a little bad luck...getting less beautiful every day. It kills off the seaweed, and thus the crabs, and then everything that eats the crabs, including rockfish.

This is kind of unrelated, but ive always used very, very cold water to euthanize...ive heard of people using boiling water and was wondering if anyone has any clue about the humanity of such a method? More or less than the cold, anyone?

0 Not allowed!
    I am just guessing, but I would think that the cold water would slow down their system relatively painlessly whereas boiling water would...well, boil them. I guess the analogy of which I am thinking is--what would be worse for us? Jumping into a freezing cold lake or into a vat of boiling water?
    8 tanks running now:
    1x 220 gallon, 2x55 gallon, 1x40 gallon long, 1x29 gallon, 1x20 gallon long, 1x5.5 gallon, 1x2 gallon
    Gouramis, barbs, rasboras, plecos, corys, tetras, fancy guppies, swordtails, ottos, rainbow shark, upside-down catfish, snails, and Max and Sparkles the bettas.

Awards Showcase

You need a gift - Lady Hobbs Have a beer on me - sailor Fresh outta the Chesapeke...maybe..lol - jbeining75 happy 21st birthday yay - angelcakes Happy birthday! - Tigerbarb 
    Thanks for the congrats...decided to share my wealth LOL - Fishalicious For helping AC with profiles! - William Welcome Back xxx - Fishalicious Good to see you back on. Gotta give one for a local. - oldhead Have  beer on me! Its the weekend. - northernguy 
    Same to you! - NickFish Happy thanksgiving! Enjoy your algae stay away from turkey! : ) - The Red Severum For being so welcoming to a newbie. - Brookfish A Little Extra Luck For You! - Northernguy This one moves! LOL - Wild Turkey 
    For being a great contributor to the community - ILuvMyGoldBarb for driving participation in the forum - Gemini for breaking your winning streak - mrs fishpatrick here tuck in LOL - mrs fishpatrick FOR TEACHING ME SO MUCH - waterhog 
    Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - turkey151 Emphysema - Lung Cancer - Lung Disease - Multiple Sclerosis - turkey151 Graves Disease - Lymphedema - Men's Health - Pro Choice - Prostate Cancer - Scleroderma - Thyroid Disease - Trisomy 18 - Wild Turkey Adoptee - Bone Cancer - Child Exploitation and Abuse - Hope and Support - Peace - Retinoblastoma - Right to Life - Student Sexual Assault - Wild Turkey Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - Wild Turkey 
    Aphasia - Asthma/Allergies - Brain Cancer - Brain Tumors - Diabetes - Mental Illness - Wild Turkey 

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by gm72
    I am just guessing, but I would think that the cold water would slow down their system relatively painlessly whereas boiling water would...well, boil them. I guess the analogy of which I am thinking is--what would be worse for us? Jumping into a freezing cold lake or into a vat of boiling water?
    Thats exactly what i was thinking, just wanted to make sure there wasnt something i was missing that was contributing to me giving my fish a more painful than needed-death.

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Hi everyone, thanks for the replies.
    Like i said i want to do whats best for the fish. I would never just release a fish or anything else into the wild, apart from anything else i would be worrying about them and how they were doing. Also where i live in England we dont have any large bodies of water close by, we have rivers but they are so dirty i would be surprised if they had anything living in them apart from the odd shopping trolley.
    I think i am going to take them to the LFS as that seems the best answer.
    I might take the crayfish too and go for a tropical tank.

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    A 20 gallon's not too bad for 2 goldfish just do a lot of water changes. It's supposed to be something like 20 gallons per goldfish though. I made a stupid mistake of accepting someones "cycling goldfish" and put them in my 15 gallon that I had just setup (I was 8) and they have been fine ever since. That being said they were going to be flushed and I still don't really think it's 100% right keeping them in a 15 gallon.
    15 gallon goldfish tank
    -2 8 year old goldfish

30 gallon planted tank
    -Pumpkinseed (wild)

75 gallon tank
    -Spotted Gar
    -Oscar
    -Male and female Jack Dempseys

15 gallon
    -Psycho Convict
    ( Murder charges x2)

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Yeah, don't release... they made a huge "natural" pond to help restore the frogs and other natural wild life... and somebody dumped some feeders into it... it's now a dirty mass of goldfish and no frogs to be seen or heard.

8. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I've heard that boiling should only be done to very small fish, because then death will be instant. Freezing should not be done becaue it's painful and horrible. Most people I've talked to consider beheading or a good knock on the head the most humane way for bigger fish.

Awards Showcase

Merry Christmas - Abbeys_Mom Great advice thanks - nraposa Thanks for helping me with my cichlids - Drumachine09 Always good answers - Lady Hobbs You dont have enough gifts. - Drumachine09 
    Thanks for your help again. - Lady Hobbs goodbye reptileguy....hello Fishguy - Lady Hobbs For always giving me great answere's on my PM's. Thanks for all the help! - cocoa_pleco Thanks For Your Help & Knowledge! :) - MeganL3985 For weakening me against axolotls!!!!!!! - Nick_Pavlovski 
    I am baking today and figured I'd share...Thanks for Always Helping when it's needed! - **AquaQueen** For recommending Fluvals and Stealths - Lady Hobbs Merry Christmas :) - MeganL3985 Merry Christmas! - RichBowyer Thanks for the hikari help - Billythefish 
    No Message - LORENZO Merry Christmas - Northernguy merry christmas.. a fellow fishnutter. - LORENZO merry christmas.. a fellow fishnutter. - LORENZO Merry X-Mas!! - The Red Severum 

0 Not allowed!
    Unless the fish is ill and without hope, it should not be killed. Google 'fish euthanasia with clove oil' for directions on properly putting down a fish.
    Owner: Aquarium Maintenance and Pet Care Company
    Owner: Web Design Company
    Brian's Aquarium Care: Articles about many aspects of aquarium care.

0 Not allowed!
    If you want to see what a couple of goldfish will do to an ecosystem, just look at the carp epidemic in the U.S. google jumping carp into boat, and you will see what happens when people release fish into an ecosystem.