· Responsible Fish Keeping
· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. Question Goldfish in too small tank, what to do?

0 Not allowed!
    I am posting this under its own thread so more people will hopefully see it and give me some suggestions.
    I have two goldfish, the short tailed orange kind. I got them from my sister who didnt want them any more. She had them in a 2.5 gallon tank for a year or so, i now have them in my 20 gallon. Now around here if you buy a goldfish they have only just started asking you how long you have had your tank set up and telling you to feed them more than flake, goldfish are it seems a very expendable pet. Now i do not believe this so i want to do what i can for them to make them happy and healthy.
    Here is the problem. As a few people have told me the 20 gallon is too small for them, but i have no access to a pond and i really have no room for a 125 gallon tank so what do i do?
    Do i give them to the aquarium shop where they can put them in a pondish tank outside where they will have more room or well, what?
    I dont want them to suffer so what can i do?

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by ravenfern
    I am posting this under its own thread so more people will hopefully see it and give me some suggestions.
    I have two goldfish, the short tailed orange kind. I got them from my sister who didnt want them any more. She had them in a 2.5 gallon tank for a year or so, i now have them in my 20 gallon. Now around here if you buy a goldfish they have only just started asking you how long you have had your tank set up and telling you to feed them more than flake, goldfish are it seems a very expendable pet. Now i do not believe this so i want to do what i can for them to make them happy and healthy.
    Here is the problem. As a few people have told me the 20 gallon is too small for them, but i have no access to a pond and i really have no room for a 125 gallon tank so what do i do?
    Do i give them to the aquarium shop where they can put them in a pondish tank outside where they will have more room or well, what?
    20g is to small,and a goldfishes diet is huge they eat all varietys of food,now your problem,over here its illegal to a point but do you have a lake by you that hasnt got predertry(sp?)fish? this is only a suggestion and might not be helpful but its an idea
    angelcakes (penny)
    "The big fish eats the small one."
    -- Sephardic saying

chat link
    http://theaquaticlounge.chatango.com/

Awards Showcase

You need a gift - Lady Hobbs Have a beer on me - sailor Fresh outta the Chesapeke...maybe..lol - jbeining75 happy 21st birthday yay - angelcakes Happy birthday! - Tigerbarb 
    Thanks for the congrats...decided to share my wealth LOL - Fishalicious For helping AC with profiles! - William Welcome Back xxx - Fishalicious Good to see you back on. Gotta give one for a local. - oldhead Have  beer on me! Its the weekend. - northernguy 
    Same to you! - NickFish Happy thanksgiving! Enjoy your algae stay away from turkey! : ) - The Red Severum For being so welcoming to a newbie. - Brookfish A Little Extra Luck For You! - Northernguy This one moves! LOL - Wild Turkey 
    For being a great contributor to the community - ILuvMyGoldBarb for driving participation in the forum - Gemini for breaking your winning streak - mrs fishpatrick here tuck in LOL - mrs fishpatrick FOR TEACHING ME SO MUCH - waterhog 
    Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - turkey151 Emphysema - Lung Cancer - Lung Disease - Multiple Sclerosis - turkey151 Graves Disease - Lymphedema - Men's Health - Pro Choice - Prostate Cancer - Scleroderma - Thyroid Disease - Trisomy 18 - Wild Turkey Adoptee - Bone Cancer - Child Exploitation and Abuse - Hope and Support - Peace - Retinoblastoma - Right to Life - Student Sexual Assault - Wild Turkey Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - Wild Turkey 
    Aphasia - Asthma/Allergies - Brain Cancer - Brain Tumors - Diabetes - Mental Illness - Wild Turkey 

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by ravenfern
    Sounds like you answered your own question. If ur lfs has a pond, donate them. Also you can go back and visit them whoohoo.

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    First of all, good move trying to give them the best home possible. It's nice to see fish keepers that genuinely care about their fish.

As for tank size, you don't need to go as big as 120gals ... not for only two goldfish. For just the two you could probably get away with something in the 40 - 50 gallon range, much more manageable. If you decide on the smaller end of the scale, try to find one that is more squarish, not the long varieties.

Good luck and keep us posted.
    My AC Fish Gallery:
    Another gallery with my fish

21 Gallon - 3 Ornate Tetras, 7 Pencilfish, 1 Oto cat, 7 Amano shrimp, 1 Peckoltia brevis, 1 clown pleco
    15 Gallon - 1 clown pleco, 6 threadfin rainbows
    10 Gallon - 7 Galaxy Rasboras, 4 Betta rutilans, Cherry shrimp, 1 Hillstream Loach
    65 Gallon - Cycling!

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    a 40gallon breeder tank (very wide) or a 55 gallon would be very good for you. 2 goldfish don't need a super large tank but they do need a good volume of water. Remember those fish have the potential to get over a foot long. Good luck!

Awards Showcase

Merry Christmas - Abbeys_Mom Great advice thanks - nraposa Thanks for helping me with my cichlids - Drumachine09 Always good answers - Lady Hobbs You dont have enough gifts. - Drumachine09 
    Thanks for your help again. - Lady Hobbs goodbye reptileguy....hello Fishguy - Lady Hobbs For always giving me great answere's on my PM's. Thanks for all the help! - cocoa_pleco Thanks For Your Help & Knowledge! :) - MeganL3985 For weakening me against axolotls!!!!!!! - Nick_Pavlovski 
    I am baking today and figured I'd share...Thanks for Always Helping when it's needed! - **AquaQueen** For recommending Fluvals and Stealths - Lady Hobbs Merry Christmas :) - MeganL3985 Merry Christmas! - RichBowyer Thanks for the hikari help - Billythefish 
    No Message - LORENZO Merry Christmas - Northernguy merry christmas.. a fellow fishnutter. - LORENZO merry christmas.. a fellow fishnutter. - LORENZO Merry X-Mas!! - The Red Severum 

0 Not allowed!
    It sounds like they are the long-bodied type in which case I think the original idea of 120+ is more accurate. If they are round-bodied it is different.

If the LFS has a nice setup they would put them in and you think it is the best option you/they have, I would say that is the best option.
    Owner: Aquarium Maintenance and Pet Care Company
    Owner: Web Design Company
    Brian's Aquarium Care: Articles about many aspects of aquarium care.

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by angelcakes
    over here its illegal to a point but do you have a lake by you that hasnt got predertry(sp?)fish? this is only a suggestion and might not be helpful but its an idea
    No, no, no. I am going to react a little harshly to this because we need to kill these kinds of suggestions outright. Angel, not directed completely at you because we have had these kinds of ideas before and we have discussed these issues before. Your suggestion is trying to help, I understand that. If you take personal offense to this post then I apologize in advance. This is simply triggering a reminder. We can not even make suggestions such as this as it is completely inappropriate and irresponsible.

In no way shape or form is it appropriate to release any fish or plant into the wild. An ecosystem is a carefully balanced circle of life. The introduction of non-indigenous life is a potential disaster for the system.

I don't want to hear comments like "but it's only 2 fish," because the number doesn't matter. A single fish, depending on the specific ecosystem, can radically change the function of the cycle.

Let's take an analogy--I add a large og to my house but the amount of food stays the same. What do you suppose is going to happen? Not particularly positive results for the dogs. Now all of the animals have less food, they start fighting over it, leading to stress. Health declines because of decreased nutrition and stress. Get the idea?

This is sort of like littering--"Oh, I'll just dump this fish in that lake over there." Now someone else does the same. And over and over again. Destruction.

So, no. You may not dump the fish into a foreign ecosystem. Period.
    8 tanks running now:
    1x 220 gallon, 2x55 gallon, 1x40 gallon long, 1x29 gallon, 1x20 gallon long, 1x5.5 gallon, 1x2 gallon
    Gouramis, barbs, rasboras, plecos, corys, tetras, fancy guppies, swordtails, ottos, rainbow shark, upside-down catfish, snails, and Max and Sparkles the bettas.

0 Not allowed!
    Your idea of giving them to the fish store is really the only good answer. Perhaps they will give you a store credit to get something else.

0 Not allowed!
    Agreed. Store or to someone who has adequate facilities for them.
    8 tanks running now:
    1x 220 gallon, 2x55 gallon, 1x40 gallon long, 1x29 gallon, 1x20 gallon long, 1x5.5 gallon, 1x2 gallon
    Gouramis, barbs, rasboras, plecos, corys, tetras, fancy guppies, swordtails, ottos, rainbow shark, upside-down catfish, snails, and Max and Sparkles the bettas.

Awards Showcase

You need a gift - Lady Hobbs Have a beer on me - sailor Fresh outta the Chesapeke...maybe..lol - jbeining75 happy 21st birthday yay - angelcakes Happy birthday! - Tigerbarb 
    Thanks for the congrats...decided to share my wealth LOL - Fishalicious For helping AC with profiles! - William Welcome Back xxx - Fishalicious Good to see you back on. Gotta give one for a local. - oldhead Have  beer on me! Its the weekend. - northernguy 
    Same to you! - NickFish Happy thanksgiving! Enjoy your algae stay away from turkey! : ) - The Red Severum For being so welcoming to a newbie. - Brookfish A Little Extra Luck For You! - Northernguy This one moves! LOL - Wild Turkey 
    For being a great contributor to the community - ILuvMyGoldBarb for driving participation in the forum - Gemini for breaking your winning streak - mrs fishpatrick here tuck in LOL - mrs fishpatrick FOR TEACHING ME SO MUCH - waterhog 
    Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - turkey151 Emphysema - Lung Cancer - Lung Disease - Multiple Sclerosis - turkey151 Graves Disease - Lymphedema - Men's Health - Pro Choice - Prostate Cancer - Scleroderma - Thyroid Disease - Trisomy 18 - Wild Turkey Adoptee - Bone Cancer - Child Exploitation and Abuse - Hope and Support - Peace - Retinoblastoma - Right to Life - Student Sexual Assault - Wild Turkey Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - Wild Turkey 
    Aphasia - Asthma/Allergies - Brain Cancer - Brain Tumors - Diabetes - Mental Illness - Wild Turkey 

0 Not allowed!
    gm is absolutely right, in fact i think theres a snakehead post active right now even. I know goldfish seem harmless, but you never know how they will do in said eco-system, for all you know there could be something in the lake that is essential to it and the other fish, and the goldfish could make it their new favorite food and completely destroy the lake. You shouldnt flush fish for the same reason, it is possible, however unlikely that even a "dead" fish is still alive and will make it to a body of water via your sewer system/pipe system.