· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

thanks very much for helping me and sticking with me till the end. lol - squirt_12   For your new baby girl! - gm72   **Congrats On Your New Baby **  : ) - MeganL3985   Congrats!!! - Hailey   Merry Christmas :) - squirt_12   
    Autism - country_boy454   Adoptee - Bone Cancer - Child Exploitation and Abuse - Hope and Support - Peace - Retinoblastoma - Right to Life - Student Sexual Assault - country_boy454   

Default A. Borellii or not.....

0 Not allowed!
    So I took a much needed trip to the lfs today to get food supplies and more stress coat and to also get a pair of A. cacatuoides. To my disappointment they were out of a. cacatuoides but had some A. borellii. I decided to get all 4 of them to put into my fairly empty 42 gallon tank. Got a great deal on them I thought. They were selling them for $10.99 for one. I got all four for $25. Upon research when I got home I am having doubts that they are borellii. They look more like the steelblue variety. Which are hybrids. They have blue in the face and no other colors. One looks similar to but with a blue face....

Wish I had my camera to take a pic for you all but that was unfortunately stolen from me.

If I get a camera I will post pics of them. They are so cool looking!

Found a great vid of what they look like!
    I have 3 that look identical to the male and one that looks like the female in the background.
    Last edited by country_boy454; 05-11-2008 at 04:30 AM.
    20g long 84w, fluorite, planted, 5 Habrosus Corys, MTS, pair of Clown Pleco (L104)
    20gal tall: home to 10 brevis. Letting them pair off then will put the rest into the 55.
    55g empty

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Member of the month, a toast is in order. - Strider199   Sorry about your blood parrot :-( - ~firefly~   For this; http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aquariumforum/showthread.php?t=111325 - Strider199   :-) - ~firefly~   Happy mother's day! Enjoy one on me LOL - imma24   
    Childhood Cancer - hobbs   World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - hobbs   Myasthenia Gravis - Ovarian Cancer - Sexual Assault - Substance Abuse - Lady Hobbs   Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - Lady Hobbs   Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - Lady Hobbs   

0 Not allowed!
    Pretty. They will probably color up better when more comfortable in the tank.

http://www.cichlid-forum.com/profile...ies.php?id=243

http://www.fishprofiles.com/files/profiles/543.htm
    As for identifying, I can't tell.

Yeaaaaaaaaa........I have DSL and can finally watch YouTube video's!
    Last edited by Lady Hobbs; 05-11-2008 at 01:35 PM.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

thanks very much for helping me and sticking with me till the end. lol - squirt_12   For your new baby girl! - gm72   **Congrats On Your New Baby **  : ) - MeganL3985   Congrats!!! - Hailey   Merry Christmas :) - squirt_12   
    Autism - country_boy454   Adoptee - Bone Cancer - Child Exploitation and Abuse - Hope and Support - Peace - Retinoblastoma - Right to Life - Student Sexual Assault - country_boy454   

0 Not allowed!
    I think I may just get a cheap digital camera to take a few pics. Congrats on the dsl Lady Hobs! I remember the feeling when going from dial up to dsl. It was AWESOME! Now in our new place we have cable and it is WOW compared to dsl. I got it mainly for my internet gaming but it is also nice for watching vids and uploading/ downloading pics!
    20g long 84w, fluorite, planted, 5 Habrosus Corys, MTS, pair of Clown Pleco (L104)
    20gal tall: home to 10 brevis. Letting them pair off then will put the rest into the 55.
    55g empty

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

For your puppies, grandma :) - Dave66   thanks for the SW help :) - squirt_12   Just for being a good friend - ILuvMyGoldBarb   for all the awesome help! - squirt_12   guess! :) - ILuvMyGoldBarb   

0 Not allowed!
    Looks more like A. Pandurini

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    I am thinking they are the steel blue variety but I definately have 1 female out of the 4. Which is supposed to be next to impossible to have as they are hybrids. That is what I have been reading anyways.

Today I noticed the female looking one of the 4 with a male digging a hole in the sand and rubbing all over each other and lip locking. Then they would go in the pit they made and rub the sand and then lip lock and rub against each other. I wish I had a camera to show everyone. It was so cool to watch it. They acted very much like my cons did when they would spawn. Now they are guarding that pit. I don't see any eggs but the sand is light in color.
    55g empty

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Member of the month, a toast is in order. - Strider199   Sorry about your blood parrot :-( - ~firefly~   For this; http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aquariumforum/showthread.php?t=111325 - Strider199   :-) - ~firefly~   Happy mother's day! Enjoy one on me LOL - imma24   
    Childhood Cancer - hobbs   World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - hobbs   Myasthenia Gravis - Ovarian Cancer - Sexual Assault - Substance Abuse - Lady Hobbs   Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - Lady Hobbs   Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - Lady Hobbs   

0 Not allowed!
    Oh, Oh. Looks like you're gonna have a litter of fish. :)

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Merry Christmas - Abbeys_Mom   heres a easter egg for easter! - cocoa_pleco   you need a slush - Lady Hobbs   What? Only 3 gifts? I'll change that! - Drumachine09   RAK - DemonShark   

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by country_boy454
    I am thinking they are the steel blue variety but I definately have 1 female out of the 4. Which is supposed to be next to impossible to have as they are hybrids. That is what I have been reading anyways.

Today I noticed the female looking one of the 4 with a male digging a hole in the sand and rubbing all over each other and lip locking. Then they would go in the pit they made and rub the sand and then lip lock and rub against each other. I wish I had a camera to show everyone. It was so cool to watch it. They acted very much like my cons did when they would spawn. Now they are guarding that pit. I don't see any eggs but the sand is light in color.
    lol actually I was wrong. There are females. Anyway, if you fish are like that then it is sp. steelblue. Congrats on them mating already!
    CORRECTED video of my fish. This link works. For sure. Really.

Tanks:
    20g long: 4 panda cories, 1 honey gourami, 1 apistogramma borellii, 1 male cacatuoides
    20g High: 3 bolivian rams, 12 rasboras
    8g hex: empty
    5g: empty

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Incredulous_Ed
    lol actually I was wrong. There are females. Anyway, if you fish are like that then it is sp. steelblue. Congrats on them mating already!
    I'm telling you guys its nuts! The A. Gibbicep I thought was a male I am now thinking it is a female because one of the male a. steelblue is trying to mate with it! They are guarding this little tiny clay pot I just put in there about 5 hours ago. They immediately took it over and started lip locking and what not! Must be something in the water cause my male and female betta are mating. He built a wonderfully huge bubble nest and she is fat with eggs. My cory's laid eggs last night(about 250), 4 of my endler females gave birth for a total of about 150 fry. Its nuts over here. I told my wife not to drink any of the water and she just gave me this odd look!
    55g empty

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

No Message - Minderella83   
    Male Breast Cancer - Pregnancy Loss - Infant Loss - Sudden Infant Death - Minderella83   

0 Not allowed!
    I wish I had that luck. I fight to have babies.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Merry Christmas - Abbeys_Mom   heres a easter egg for easter! - cocoa_pleco   you need a slush - Lady Hobbs   What? Only 3 gifts? I'll change that! - Drumachine09   RAK - DemonShark   

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by country_boy454
    I'm telling you guys its nuts! The A. Gibbicep I thought was a male I am now thinking it is a female because one of the male a. steelblue is trying to mate with it! They are guarding this little tiny clay pot I just put in there about 5 hours ago. They immediately took it over and started lip locking and what not! Must be something in the water cause my male and female betta are mating. He built a wonderfully huge bubble nest and she is fat with eggs. My cory's laid eggs last night(about 250), 4 of my endler females gave birth for a total of about 150 fry. Its nuts over here. I told my wife not to drink any of the water and she just gave me this odd look!
    My god I hate you. lol Im just playin. My dream is to breed apistos but I cant even find a pair lol. Good luck! they probably laid eggs. Best start hatching brine shrimp!
    CORRECTED video of my fish. This link works. For sure. Really.

Tanks:
    20g long: 4 panda cories, 1 honey gourami, 1 apistogramma borellii, 1 male cacatuoides
    20g High: 3 bolivian rams, 12 rasboras
    8g hex: empty
    5g: empty