· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
  1. Question Adding some mnubas

0 Not allowed!
    Alright, I have a 72 gallon tank that is about to finish cycling soon and I want to stock it with malawi cichlids. I have two questions for all of the experts here.

1. I've read that cichlids should be added in large groups to avoid conflicts between the fish. I've also read that you should add fish slowly to your new tank so it will be able to handle the bio-load. So which is it? Do I add the fish in large groups or do I add them only a few at a time? BTW I did a fishless cycle with pure ammonia if that matters.

2. The fish I am considering are Yellow Labs, Golden cichlids, red zebras, Pseudotropheus demasoni, and snow white zebras. I was planning on adding 3 of each, 1 male and 2 females for a total of 15 fish. Am I going to have any problems with these fish living together? Is 15 fish the right amount for a 72 gallon tank?

Thanks

0 Not allowed!
    I have no cichlids but I've also read adding several at once helps the aggression. Probably some every two weeks would even be OK since they will all be young. But you may also want to add some bio-spira to your tank for adding bacteria. It's hard to find at times as it's only sold at LPS stores and is kept refrigeratored. If it's not available, then even Stress Zyme will help.

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    you will have problems with the demasoni and the labs and other cichlids. How big id the tank. I added all my demasoni at once to avoid aggression issues although other AC members may disagree I have had no problems. I over stock and over filter my mbuna tank. That way aggression is spread out. Dont mix mbuna, labs and other cichlids. stick with one type. mbuna's typically get along with othe mbuna's if they are different colors and styles of fish.
    Respect is mutual, if you don't respect others viewpoints, chances are they won't acknowledge yours.
    -- Unknown.

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Maybe I'm confused but I thought mbuna refered to all of he rock dwelling malawi fish. Every site I've checked out list both the labs and the demasoni as types of mbuna. I believe all of the fish I chose were mbuna and all seem to have different colors... so where is the problem? I'm new to this so please be patient with me.

And once again the tank is 72 gallons.

0 Not allowed!
    http://www.cichlidrecipe.com/cover.htm

This site is long but dedicated to cichlids. (pronounced SICK-LIDS) I called them chick-lids for a long time until I had someone set me straight on that finally.

I believe the mbuna are some of the most aggressive. I'm half thinking of going with dwarf cichlids altho the peacocks are very pretty (but get larger.)

Cichlids are a confusing subject for me, as well, as some are rock dwellers and others like to be in the open. And don't like to be together with the rock dwellers. Cichlids are also divided into which lakes they come from as well as regions. Feeding them less often makes them more aggressive and having more than less in a tank holds down aggression as well.

That's ALL I've learned after reading about cichlids for weeks! :)

Awards Showcase

Merry Christmas - Abbeys_Mom Great advice thanks - nraposa Thanks for helping me with my cichlids - Drumachine09 Always good answers - Lady Hobbs You dont have enough gifts. - Drumachine09 
    Thanks for your help again. - Lady Hobbs goodbye reptileguy....hello Fishguy - Lady Hobbs For always giving me great answere's on my PM's. Thanks for all the help! - cocoa_pleco Thanks For Your Help & Knowledge! :) - MeganL3985 For weakening me against axolotls!!!!!!! - Nick_Pavlovski 
    I am baking today and figured I'd share...Thanks for Always Helping when it's needed! - **AquaQueen** For recommending Fluvals and Stealths - Lady Hobbs Merry Christmas :) - MeganL3985 Merry Christmas! - RichBowyer Thanks for the hikari help - Billythefish 
    No Message - LORENZO Merry Christmas - Northernguy merry christmas.. a fellow fishnutter. - LORENZO merry christmas.. a fellow fishnutter. - LORENZO Merry X-Mas!! - The Red Severum 

0 Not allowed!
    The labs are mbunas so you are right to have them in that tank. Only mbunas should ever go in that tank (unless you want to add a Synodontis sp. or something) and I would add a lot more rockwork than your pics show. The labs should go in first though because they are the least aggressive and if you can find bigger labs, I would go with those. Add at least 3 if not 5 or so each time you add fish. I think you mentioned a biowheel and a rena, so I would add a Fluval 405. Trust me, you won;t overfilter (especially with mbunas, who love a strong current) and it will pay you back with better water quality in a decently stocked mbuna tank. Some people would add even more than 15 to a 72, especially with mbunas, but that is up to you. It isn't too much. Water chanegs should be 50-75% weekly and you should keep the pH at 8.2 with buffers and use a cichlid lake salt (I use Seachem's Cichlid Lake Salt and it works great). Remeber to keep the diet herbivorous. New Life Spectrum would be the best. Sorry if a lot of this is repetitive of your research, I don't know what all you have learned yet.
    Aquarist since 1995
    Biologist
    Owner: Aquarium Maintenance Company
    Brian's Aquarium Care: Articles about many aspects of aquarium care.

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Thanks reptileguy2727 that was the info I needed.

0 Not allowed!
    reptileguy......What size do most of the peacocks get? I really find them the prettiest and most colorful but the size they grow is of some concern to me.

Thanks

Awards Showcase

Merry Christmas - Abbeys_Mom Great advice thanks - nraposa Thanks for helping me with my cichlids - Drumachine09 Always good answers - Lady Hobbs You dont have enough gifts. - Drumachine09 
    Thanks for your help again. - Lady Hobbs goodbye reptileguy....hello Fishguy - Lady Hobbs For always giving me great answere's on my PM's. Thanks for all the help! - cocoa_pleco Thanks For Your Help & Knowledge! :) - MeganL3985 For weakening me against axolotls!!!!!!! - Nick_Pavlovski 
    I am baking today and figured I'd share...Thanks for Always Helping when it's needed! - **AquaQueen** For recommending Fluvals and Stealths - Lady Hobbs Merry Christmas :) - MeganL3985 Merry Christmas! - RichBowyer Thanks for the hikari help - Billythefish 
    No Message - LORENZO Merry Christmas - Northernguy merry christmas.. a fellow fishnutter. - LORENZO merry christmas.. a fellow fishnutter. - LORENZO Merry X-Mas!! - The Red Severum 

0 Not allowed!
    4-6". I plan on having about 20 in my 150 (with room for them to add to the tank since 2 females already look like they are holding eggs/fry). They are a great fish but need at least 55 or so.
    Aquarist since 1995
    Biologist
    Owner: Aquarium Maintenance Company
    Brian's Aquarium Care: Articles about many aspects of aquarium care.

0 Not allowed!
    wow. You are fast with the answers. I am just so torn between a "few" peacocks or a tank with dwarfs as I could have so many more of the dwarfs. I've never had so much trouble making a fish decision!