· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Thread: Bolivian rams

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

thanks for clearing up that albino situation hahaha - shalafi04   :D why not ur an aussie :P - harls_aussie   

Default Bolivian rams

0 Not allowed!
    i want to get two of these. should i get a male and female or two females are they compatible with fish in 20 gallon and any other information would be great. they have really healthy specimens in my lfs and they have been there for a while and they look beautiful.
    20 Gallon-4 Platies, 9 Neon Tetras, 1 Albino, 3 Bronze Corydoras, 2 Murray River Rainbowfish
    7.5 Gallon-Stocking
    6 Gallon-1 Male Betta

2 Gallon-1 Male betta

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

heres a gift for you!!!! - squirt_12   purple is purdy - Lady Hobbs   Happy b-day!! - Kuli_Loach   Happy 25th! - Futureboy   Merry Christmas :) - MeganL3985   
    Aphasia - Asthma/Allergies - Brain Cancer - Brain Tumors - Diabetes - Mental Illness - Kaga's Kritters   Alzheimer's - Crohn's & Colitis - Cystic Fibrosis - Domestic Violence - Fibromyalgia - Leimyosarcoma - Lupus - Kaga's Kritters   World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - Kaga's Kritters   Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - Kaga's Kritters   Gay and Lesbian Pride - Kaga's Kritters   

0 Not allowed!
    i have one and he is very calm and laid back. i did have another one that died for some reason. at first they sparred a little to establish dominance, but after that they got along. I am not sure if they are/were male or female. Sexing them is different than sexing german rams. I think some bolivians would be ok with you current fish. Bolivians are not really aggressive at all unless they feel the need to be. Just keep an eye on them at first to make sure everyone is getting along ok. Also your tank is pretty full already, so make sure you have good filtration and keep up with your water changes if you add more fish.
    10 gal tropical tank (mainly snails w/7 fish), 5 rats, 4 parakeets, 1 senegal parrot, 2 degus, 1 snake, 1 blue tongue skink, 3 mice, 1 rabbit, 1 ferret, 5 cats, 1 dog

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Merry Christmas - Abbeys_Mom   heres a easter egg for easter! - cocoa_pleco   you need a slush - Lady Hobbs   What? Only 3 gifts? I'll change that! - Drumachine09   RAK - DemonShark   

0 Not allowed!
    I would get 1 male and 2 females. They generally leave other fish alone, but chase each other around. I havent seen any serious damage done though.
    CORRECTED video of my fish. This link works. For sure. Really.

Tanks:
    20g long: 4 panda cories, 1 honey gourami, 1 apistogramma borellii, 1 male cacatuoides
    20g High: 3 bolivian rams, 12 rasboras
    8g hex: empty
    5g: empty

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

thanks for clearing up that albino situation hahaha - shalafi04   :D why not ur an aussie :P - harls_aussie   

0 Not allowed!
    is there abything wrong with getting 1 or 2? the murray river rainbows are only temporary and my filter is 1000 litres per hour
    20 Gallon-4 Platies, 9 Neon Tetras, 1 Albino, 3 Bronze Corydoras, 2 Murray River Rainbowfish
    7.5 Gallon-Stocking
    6 Gallon-1 Male Betta

2 Gallon-1 Male betta

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Merry Christmas - Abbeys_Mom   heres a easter egg for easter! - cocoa_pleco   you need a slush - Lady Hobbs   What? Only 3 gifts? I'll change that! - Drumachine09   RAK - DemonShark   

0 Not allowed!
    You could go with 1 male and 1 female. I just perfer to have 2 females to one male, so the aggresion is more spread out.

Tanks:
    20g long: 4 panda cories, 1 honey gourami, 1 apistogramma borellii, 1 male cacatuoides

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

heres a gift for you!!!! - squirt_12   purple is purdy - Lady Hobbs   Happy b-day!! - Kuli_Loach   Happy 25th! - Futureboy   Merry Christmas :) - MeganL3985   
    Aphasia - Asthma/Allergies - Brain Cancer - Brain Tumors - Diabetes - Mental Illness - Kaga's Kritters   Alzheimer's - Crohn's & Colitis - Cystic Fibrosis - Domestic Violence - Fibromyalgia - Leimyosarcoma - Lupus - Kaga's Kritters   World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - Kaga's Kritters   Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - Kaga's Kritters   Gay and Lesbian Pride - Kaga's Kritters   

0 Not allowed!
    i thought sexing bolivian rams wasn't very easy. i know the germans you can sex by their top fin, but i heard you cant do that with the bolivians. so how do you know you are getting a male and 2 females
    10 gal tropical tank (mainly snails w/7 fish), 5 rats, 4 parakeets, 1 senegal parrot, 2 degus, 1 snake, 1 blue tongue skink, 3 mice, 1 rabbit, 1 ferret, 5 cats, 1 dog

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Just a regular gift! - Rue   Wheres all your gifts JB?!  Heres another one! - MeganL3985   for a buddy - smaug   Welcome back - sailor   
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - jbeining75   

0 Not allowed!
    Bolivians color amazingly. The males get a brilliant coloration. Definetely a great fish.
    75 Gallon South Cichlid: Tiger Oscar and Jack Dempsey

55 Gallon GT Tank: 1 Male GT and 8 Giant Danio

20 Gallon Long: Waiting for eco-complete planted red substrate that has been delayed 2 weeks due to weather.

"Don't buy fish at Wal-Mart then go to your local fish store for help when they die. Goto your local fish store first and get educated. It will save you money and many many fishes lives."

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaga's Kritters
    i thought sexing bolivian rams wasn't very easy. i know the germans you can sex by their top fin, but i heard you cant do that with the bolivians. so how do you know you are getting a male and 2 females
    The only real way to tell is by the breeding tubes; Males are poited back, and females are blunt.

After keeping them a while you can tell also by the shape of the head and fin extensions.

Tanks:

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    so do you think 1 male and 1 female will be allright because ill be getting them and its good to see other people think that their great fish. ill google to see how to better sex them thanks.
    7.5 Gallon-Stocking
    6 Gallon-1 Male Betta

2 Gallon-1 Male betta

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by MelonMan
    so do you think 1 male and 1 female will be allright because ill be getting them and its good to see other people think that their great fish. ill google to see how to better sex them thanks.
    You probably arent goignt to find very good info about that, lol. Try this link: http://www.cichlid-forum.com/phpBB/v...r=asc&&start=0

Tanks: