· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Default What's the best bio-filter media?

0 Not allowed!
    I'm curious if you guys have a preference for a particular type of bio-media. Eheim has a few different types- ceramic cylinders, a couple types of porous gravel. Fluval has a very different type of cylindrical porous media. There are those plastic bio-balls- of various sizes. I've heard of some people just using a coarse filter sponge.

Lets assume this is for a canister style filter, since I know a lot of you prefer those bio-wheels.

What media has the longest lifespan? Is the most efficient ammonia reducer per volume? (via bacteria of course)

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

For SW enthusiasm - NOT skipping class! - Rue   for the bubby goldfish - arkie   in commemoration of you babies. - Gemstone   Have a gift!! - Tolley   Congratulations on your photo award! - fins_n_fur   
    Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - Halelorf   

0 Not allowed!
    I don't know about the best but I really like the ceramic rings. My canister filters are all a layer of sponges to trap debris then ceramc rings for the rest of the filter trays. That seems to work very well.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

you need a gift - cocoa_pleco   Thanks for the sump help :) - Blu-ray   For the next fishing season - DragonGoby   for being helpful and nice! - jphonger   To make the difference ;op - DragonGoby   
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - Sasquatch   

0 Not allowed!
    For pure biofiltration, ceramics or other microporous materials are best, but you have to keep them free of debris.

The usual setup it so stage the filtration. Gradually finer layers (pre-filter, then sponge, then micro filtration) and then after all that, the biofiltration media. Each of the mechanical filtration layers will contribute to the biofiltration, the ceramics are for that extra boost, especially in densely stocked tanks.
    My AC Fish Gallery:
    Another gallery with my fish

21 Gallon - 3 Ornate Tetras, 7 Pencilfish, 1 Oto cat, 7 Amano shrimp, 1 Peckoltia brevis, 1 clown pleco
    15 Gallon - 1 clown pleco, 6 threadfin rainbows
    10 Gallon - 7 Galaxy Rasboras, 4 Betta rutilans, Cherry shrimp, 1 Hillstream Loach
    65 Gallon - Cycling!

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

god im hungry - cocoa_pleco   You make me laugh! - Drumachine09   And lots of pizza too! lol - Chrona   wish i had some of this to drink right now - cocoa_pleco   DAAAAAM, this drink looks good - cocoa_pleco   
    Graves Disease - Lymphedema - Men's Health - Pro Choice - Prostate Cancer - Scleroderma - Thyroid Disease - Trisomy 18 - cocoa_pleco   Anti-Tobacco - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - cocoa_pleco   Adoptee - Bone Cancer - Child Exploitation and Abuse - Hope and Support - Peace - Retinoblastoma - Right to Life - Student Sexual Assault - cocoa_pleco   Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - cocoa_pleco   World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - cocoa_pleco   

0 Not allowed!
    all my canisters have sponges, bioballs, and ceramic rings

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Welcome to AC - Lady Hobbs   Back at ya - sailor   here's a front for ya - sailor   
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - RainMan   Myasthenia Gravis - Ovarian Cancer - Sexual Assault - Substance Abuse - RainMan   

0 Not allowed!
    Ceramic rings are great and easy to get for trapping bacteria... however, I've been reading in several places that sintered glass is even better. I'm ordering some this week... I willl have 50/50 sintered glass and rings (in separate trays) and if I notice an improvement over the rings, I'll be doing sintered glass in all of of the trays.

However, nothing beats Sponges for bio and mechanical filtration. That's why they are in every type and brand of filter I have seen. Usually the first line of filtration is sponges.
    100g - Planning - (8 Cyphotilapia gibberosa Mpimbwe - southern lake region)
    45g - Mixed Community of African Cichlids
    29g - Planning - GBR planted tank
    10g - Neolamprologus multifasciatus aka.. Arican Shell-Dweller (Finally found them.. 6 are coming soon)

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Welcome to AC - Lady Hobbs   Back at ya - sailor   here's a front for ya - sailor   
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - RainMan   Myasthenia Gravis - Ovarian Cancer - Sexual Assault - Substance Abuse - RainMan   

0 Not allowed!
    Hey cocoa... someone told me bio-balls are not supposed to be used in canister filters? Is that a false statement?
    100g - Planning - (8 Cyphotilapia gibberosa Mpimbwe - southern lake region)
    45g - Mixed Community of African Cichlids
    29g - Planning - GBR planted tank
    10g - Neolamprologus multifasciatus aka.. Arican Shell-Dweller (Finally found them.. 6 are coming soon)

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Merry Christmas - Abbeys_Mom   Great advice thanks - nraposa   Thanks for helping me with my cichlids - Drumachine09   Always good answers - Lady Hobbs   You dont have enough gifts. - Drumachine09   

0 Not allowed!
    I use Fluvals, so I use their porous ceramic media, Biomax. From what I have seen, read, and heard Eheim's version is about as good, not sure if one is better than the other.

Bioballs are not as efficient as porous ceramic medias (surface area per volume). They were originally designed for trickle filters so they allows a lot of space between the surfaces, enough to allow air in for the wet/dry function of the trickle filters. When used submerged they simply do not have near the same amount of surface area per volume as porous ceramic medias. Even the ones that are altered for submerged use (denser so there is more surface area per volume than their original version) there is still not the as much surface area as porous ceramic medias.

I still use the Biomax I had for the first Fluvals I got about ten years ago, so it will last. The only maintenance is to rinse off any visible debris whenever you maintain the filter.
    Aquarist since 1995
    Biologist and Published Author in Multiple Aquarium Magazines
    Owner: Aquarium Maintenance Company
    Advanced Aquarium Concepts: Articles about many aspects of aquarium care.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

god im hungry - cocoa_pleco   You make me laugh! - Drumachine09   And lots of pizza too! lol - Chrona   wish i had some of this to drink right now - cocoa_pleco   DAAAAAM, this drink looks good - cocoa_pleco   
    Graves Disease - Lymphedema - Men's Health - Pro Choice - Prostate Cancer - Scleroderma - Thyroid Disease - Trisomy 18 - cocoa_pleco   Anti-Tobacco - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - cocoa_pleco   Adoptee - Bone Cancer - Child Exploitation and Abuse - Hope and Support - Peace - Retinoblastoma - Right to Life - Student Sexual Assault - cocoa_pleco   Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - cocoa_pleco   World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - cocoa_pleco   

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by RainMan
    Hey cocoa... someone told me bio-balls are not supposed to be used in canister filters? Is that a false statement?
    ive heard that, but i still use them. i prefer mini bioballs

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Thanks for the quote - **AquaQueen**   Message for you sir! - Aeonflame   

0 Not allowed!
    I am using ehfitrate pro [looks like cocoa puff cereal].i have had it for about 6months now,it seems to be doing its jobe very well.It is in the top basket of my rena xp-2.I have no idea how long the stuff lasts but I would think it would be darn near forever ,it is a sintered glass material and it wont fall apart under normal use.Bio balls are of little use if they are not in a highly oxygenated environment .