· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Exclamation The Balanced Planted Tank

0 Not allowed!
    Understanding the balance is the key to any planted tank. Any successful planted tank will be a balanced tank. These are a couple of things that the hobbyist often hears about, but many do not understand them or their implications. The purpose of this article is to introduce the reader to the balance, explain why it is important, and how to achieve this balance.
    First, what does the balance consist of. The balance in question is the proper proportions of light, carbon dioxide, and nutrients. Plants require all three of these things in order to survive and grow. In order for the plants to take in the nutrients, there must be CO2 and light present. When any one of these three things is out of proportion there will be an outward sign to let the hobbyist know that something is not in balance. The amount of nutrients and CO2 required will be dictated by two things; lighting level and biomass of the plants, therefore, the appropriate levels for nutrients and CO2 will be different for every tank.
    This brings us to point number two; why the balance is important. Plants, unlike algae, need CO2 in order to photosynthesize, without the presence of CO2, the plants cannot take in the nutrients and thus it leaves them for algae to use. Likewise, if there are too many nutrients present for the amount of CO2 in the water, the plants will not be able to use it all up and some will be left for the algae. Light comes into play in that the more light there is, the faster many plants will photosynthesize. Because of this, there will be a greater demand for CO2 and nutrients. So as there is an increase in light, there must also be a proportionate increase in CO2 and nutrients. Just as each one of these elements can be too high, they can also be too low. If the lighting is too low then there will be an excess of CO2 and nutrients, and there will be dying plants. If nutrients are too low (as in 0), then the hobbyist will have a situation where there is nothing for the plants or for the algae. In a case such as this the hobbyist will get a nice thick green mat of cyanobacteria, also known as Blue Green Algae.
    So, how can this balance be achieved. This is something that will require the diligence of the hobbyist. First it is important to understand that the answer to plant problems is rarely a result of insufficient lighting. This issue, though, can be resolved simply by choosing plants that are appropriate for the light level. As for nutrients and CO2, these issues will require that the hobbyist watch the tank carefully, If algae starts to appear then either a decrease in nutrients or an increase in CO2 will be necessary. If there have been problems with nutrient deficiencies in the plants, the the answer must be to increase the CO2. If, however, there have been no nutrient problems in the tank then a reduction in dosing may be called for. There exists a couple of dangers in this portion of understanding the balance though. One of these dangers is the assumption that in order to achieve a balanced tank the hobbyist must dose nutrients and inject CO2. This, however is erroneous thinking. It is important to remember that the nutrient and CO2 levels are dependent on the biomass. If a tank has high lighting because of the types of plants that have been chosen, but there are only a very few plants, then there will not exist a need for as many nutrients. The plants have a maximum rate at which they can absorb the nutrients, and as a result, there are excess nutrients, they will be used by the algae. By the same token, in a lower lit tank, the levels of CO2 and nutrients will also need to stay low. In many cases the fish waste and the fish themselves will provide sufficient nutrients and CO2 for the plants. In a case such as this, the high tech approach to planted tanks is completely inappropriate and should not be used. This is the biggest danger that many aspiring planted tank hobbyists fall into, they learn about nutrient addition and CO2 injection and assume that it must be applied to all planted tanks period. Doing this shows a lack of understanding of how to balance a planted tank.
    When the hobbyist understands what the balance is and understands that the balance level for every planted tank is different then that hobbyist is well on their way to a successful planted tank. Understanding this balance will allow the hobbyist to keep the full spectrum of planted tanks, from very simple, to high tech. Understanding this balance will also save the hobbyist from hours of frustration resulting from the upward spiral of higher light leading to more nutrients leading to expensive CO2 equipment. So as a hobbyist, understand the balance, and enjoy a beautiful planted tank.
    Last edited by ILuvMyGoldBarb; 05-06-2008 at 11:35 PM.
    Considering a Marine Aquarium? A Breakdown of the Components, Live Rock, Cycling a Marine Tank

"The capacity to learn is a gift; The ability to learn is a skill; The WILLINGNESS to learn is a choice." - Unknown

Awards Showcase

god im hungry - cocoa_pleco You make me laugh! - Drumachine09 And lots of pizza too! lol - Chrona wish i had some of this to drink right now - cocoa_pleco DAAAAAM, this drink looks good - cocoa_pleco 
    There. Thats better. - Drumachine09 maybe one day we can enjoy one of these - sergo Congrats you recived a RAK gift enjoy! - DemonShark RAK - DemonShark RAK - DemonShark 
    Cheers! - Nick_Pavlovski Since Wendy's is only open 4 hours! - aliz340 For Your Help And Friendship - MeganL3985 Hope you a good time in Germany - alizee340 Good to have you back around the forum! - Nick_Pavlovski 
    Thanks....you could use some Luck with your fish too! - **AquaQueen** I'm baking today and figured I'd share...Thanks for helping whne it's needed! - **AquaQueen** Back at you, CP! - Dave66 You send me fruit I send you pizza!! LOL!! - 2manyfish a fish for the new 5.5g salt! lol - cocoa_pleco 
    Graves Disease - Lymphedema - Men's Health - Pro Choice - Prostate Cancer - Scleroderma - Thyroid Disease - Trisomy 18 - cocoa_pleco Anti-Tobacco - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - cocoa_pleco Adoptee - Bone Cancer - Child Exploitation and Abuse - Hope and Support - Peace - Retinoblastoma - Right to Life - Student Sexual Assault - cocoa_pleco Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - cocoa_pleco World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - cocoa_pleco 
    Cesarean Sections - Headaches - Hospice Care - Multiple Myeloma - cocoa_pleco Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - cocoa_pleco Childhood Cancer - cocoa_pleco Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - cocoa_pleco 

0 Not allowed!
    sticky!!!!!!!!!!

Awards Showcase

You need a gift - Lady Hobbs Have a beer on me - sailor Fresh outta the Chesapeke...maybe..lol - jbeining75 happy 21st birthday yay - angelcakes Happy birthday! - Tigerbarb 
    Thanks for the congrats...decided to share my wealth LOL - Fishalicious For helping AC with profiles! - William Welcome Back xxx - Fishalicious Good to see you back on. Gotta give one for a local. - oldhead Have  beer on me! Its the weekend. - northernguy 
    Same to you! - NickFish Happy thanksgiving! Enjoy your algae stay away from turkey! : ) - The Red Severum For being so welcoming to a newbie. - Brookfish A Little Extra Luck For You! - Northernguy This one moves! LOL - Wild Turkey 
    For being a great contributor to the community - ILuvMyGoldBarb for driving participation in the forum - Gemini for breaking your winning streak - mrs fishpatrick here tuck in LOL - mrs fishpatrick FOR TEACHING ME SO MUCH - waterhog 
    Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - turkey151 Emphysema - Lung Cancer - Lung Disease - Multiple Sclerosis - turkey151 Graves Disease - Lymphedema - Men's Health - Pro Choice - Prostate Cancer - Scleroderma - Thyroid Disease - Trisomy 18 - Wild Turkey Adoptee - Bone Cancer - Child Exploitation and Abuse - Hope and Support - Peace - Retinoblastoma - Right to Life - Student Sexual Assault - Wild Turkey Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - Wild Turkey 
    Aphasia - Asthma/Allergies - Brain Cancer - Brain Tumors - Diabetes - Mental Illness - Wild Turkey 

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by cocoa_pleco
    sticky!!!!!!!!!!
    YUP! Great post!

0 Not allowed!
    Thank you from a newbie plant keeper! Awesome post!
    Lindsay

23g FW Community ~ 2.5g antique slate-bottom plakat betta ~ 4g antique slate bottom plakat betta

Awards Showcase

RAK - DemonShark CONGRATULATIONS DADDY - Lady Hobbs for new bed - Lady Hobbs for new wife - Lady Hobbs to remodel steps - Lady Hobbs 
    To get bigger house? - Lady Hobbs Thanks for the shrimp!! They ROCK! - richberstler My Hero - Lady Hobbs guess what this is for?  LOL - Lady Hobbs Thanks for the plant help!!! Rep coming too!!! - jbeining75 
    Sorry for the loss.. Hope you feel better Gene!! - jbeining75 Thanks for becoming a mod - William Congratulations on Moderator Status! - Tolley To your Modship - Lady Hobbs thanks - mitcore 
    Keep your chin up. Your wife is in our prayers. - ILuvMyGoldBarb Thinking of you during this difficult time x - Fishalicious Your wife deserves a treat! - Rue No Message - Algenco No Message - Algenco 
    Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - Algenco Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - Algenco Myasthenia Gravis - Ovarian Cancer - Sexual Assault - Substance Abuse - Algenco Emphysema - Lung Cancer - Lung Disease - Multiple Sclerosis - Algenco Cesarean Sections - Headaches - Hospice Care - Multiple Myeloma - Algenco 

0 Not allowed!
    Great write up! Very informative.
    As I get older I find myself thinking about the hereafter - I go into a room and then wonder what I'm here after.

AC's Free Aquarium Ebook

Awards Showcase

welcome to ac! - cocoa_pleco lol, have a heavy beer too! - cocoa_pleco mixing your drinks, I see - Lady Hobbs hobbs, he aint goin anywhere without a margarita! - cocoa_pleco let's get corked - Lady Hobbs 
    shaken. stirred, or both? lol - cocoa_pleco BEEEEEEEEEEEEEERRRRRRRRRRRRR!!!!!!!!!!!!! - cocoa_pleco Awesome stuff! Heres to you! - S13DWS thought we could share a drink - mitcore trust me, you will need this after all that alcohol - Kuli_Loach 
    For being a great guy x - Fishalicious cheers pal :) - arkie Merry Christmas :) - MeganL3985 you rock man - arkie Merry Christmas - Stay the way you are - The Best!!! - Fishalicious 
    Merry Christmas ya dog lover! - RichBowyer Merry christmas! - cocoa_pleco merry christmas and a happy new year :-) - mitcore i felt like being nice.... enjoy it, it doesnt happen very often lol - arkie happy new year babe - arkie 
    HIV/AIDS - digital3 World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - digital3 Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - digital3 

0 Not allowed!
    Excellent write up GB! Yes, indeed sticky worthy! This needs to be at the TOP of the plants section!
    "My call sign is digital3... But you can call me Joda!"
    Click Here to visit my Blog
    Click Here to see my Pics S.S.A.A.C. & S.R.S.

55 gal. planted (Co2 Pressurized) - 1 Featherfin Syno, 2 Bolivian Rams, 2 SAEs, 3 Congo Tetras, 4 Long Fin Rosy Barbs, 6 Sunset Platys, 2 Lyre Tailed Swordtails, 3 Peppered Corys, 2 YoYo Loaches
    3 gal. planted nano (no Co2) - 1 spotted puffer, 3 Neon Tetras

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    ...Very nice...thank you for the great info..

8. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Yup,what BG said.I was just getting ready to hit the submit button on a write up just like that!! Good post ILMGB very nice.

9. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I dont totally agree with the above post. If you have low lighting you cant have an excess of co2 and nutrients that causes algae. You can never have an excess of anything, the only time having an excess becomes an issue is if you bottom out of something out... i.e. you have 2wpg light, lots of NPK but your co2 generator stops working and your co2 becomed 0.... this will cause algae.

You can use EI dosing with low light and high co2 or low co2 and as long as you overdose your nutrients and dont bottom out on NPK or co2 then you will not have algae.

Awards Showcase

You need a gift - Lady Hobbs Have a beer on me - sailor Fresh outta the Chesapeke...maybe..lol - jbeining75 happy 21st birthday yay - angelcakes Happy birthday! - Tigerbarb 
    Thanks for the congrats...decided to share my wealth LOL - Fishalicious For helping AC with profiles! - William Welcome Back xxx - Fishalicious Good to see you back on. Gotta give one for a local. - oldhead Have  beer on me! Its the weekend. - northernguy 
    Same to you! - NickFish Happy thanksgiving! Enjoy your algae stay away from turkey! : ) - The Red Severum For being so welcoming to a newbie. - Brookfish A Little Extra Luck For You! - Northernguy This one moves! LOL - Wild Turkey 
    For being a great contributor to the community - ILuvMyGoldBarb for driving participation in the forum - Gemini for breaking your winning streak - mrs fishpatrick here tuck in LOL - mrs fishpatrick FOR TEACHING ME SO MUCH - waterhog 
    Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - turkey151 Emphysema - Lung Cancer - Lung Disease - Multiple Sclerosis - turkey151 Graves Disease - Lymphedema - Men's Health - Pro Choice - Prostate Cancer - Scleroderma - Thyroid Disease - Trisomy 18 - Wild Turkey Adoptee - Bone Cancer - Child Exploitation and Abuse - Hope and Support - Peace - Retinoblastoma - Right to Life - Student Sexual Assault - Wild Turkey Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - Wild Turkey 
    Aphasia - Asthma/Allergies - Brain Cancer - Brain Tumors - Diabetes - Mental Illness - Wild Turkey 

0 Not allowed!
    Excess co2 is not an issue in itself imo, but excess nutrients certainly are, just as the lack of one nutrient in particular is, imo. However I do not agree with overdosing ferts to be a viable solution to this.

NPK dosing is designed to replace or replenish elements already found in the aquarium, which are depleted by the growing plants. The elements are already found in your tap water at varying concentrations, and thus users will always have varying results when trying to keep a tank algae free.

What you are doing with overdosing ferts and using a 5x dose of excel every other day (saw this on another thread) is basically "burning" or "melting" away your algae problems by using the excel imo. It does not mean your tank is balanced. Since you are using a diy co2 source also, im willing to bet that if you stop dosing excel you will have algae out the whazoo. Thats because as I say, the excel isnt providing you with "extra co2", but rather melting the algae as it often does to other soft plants such as vals. Excel provides almost no carbon when compared to a diy co2 setup.