· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

Thread: Sickly plants

1. Default Sickly plants

0 Not allowed!
    Ive added live plants to my 125 litre tank with sand substrate but some of them aren't doing great. I'm not sure what they all are but I have amazon sword, tiger lotus and others that I can't name that are doing ok but some of my other including vilas(sp?) and are looking very unhealthy and my water wisteria which was thriving has started to go yellowy.

Any ideas what I could do to revive them?

I have fish in the tank and am adding shrimp soon so something safe for them and preferably easy and not too technical.

0 Not allowed!
    You did not mention how long they have been in situ but plants can and do melt a bit and come back as they acclimate to a new tank. This can take a few weeks.

What lighting and ferts are you using?
    Gas mileage isn't everything OIIIIIIIO
    Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part.
    Why pretend there are no stupid questions? Actually, There are many stupid questions: "Should I drink this bleach?" Is just one example.
    Having said that, Just because it's a stupid question doesn't mean that it shouldn't be asked. It's better to know.

A warm beer is better than a cold beer. Because nothing is better than a cold beer, and a warm beer is better than nothing.

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    There are a few things it could be. For new plants, as crystalite said, they can go through a period of melting as they adjust to your tanks parameters. Some plants are actually grown in hydroponic nurseries, which means the leaves are not in water. These plants especially will have to go through a period of adjustment.

Sand substrate can be a little too fine for plant roots to grow through. Most people recommend a fine, natural gravel or even dirt with gravel over it. There are also specialty plant substrates like Seachem Flourite, and I've heard good things about Aquariumplants.com substrate. I realize changing substrates is pretty daunting, especially removing all that sand.. So this may be not be the best troubleshooting step to start with, yet something to think about for future planted tanks.

Keeping aquatic plants is all about balancing light, nutrients, and CO2. The lower your light, the less you have to worry about CO2 and fertilizers. However, some plants require high light so this is where you have to start considering a CO2 system and fertilizers.

You mentioned your Wisteria was previously thriving and now is turning yellow. This is almost certainly a nutrient deficiency of some kind (likely iron, but perhaps something else). A handy chart for determining nutrient deficiency is here. There are two ways to combat this. You can either dose with dry or liquid fertilizers directly into the water column, or you can get root tabs (small nutrient pellets) to put into your substrate. Plants typically get most of their nutrients through their roots, so plants that are buried in substrate will likely need root tabs.

One thing to be cautious of with fertilizing your tank, since you mentioned you plan on adding shrimp, is that many plant fertilizers contain copper. Copper is essential in very small quantities, but extremely lethal to shrimp if too high. Just one other thing to think about...

Good luck!

Awards Showcase

Thanks for the birthday wishes - mommy1 and gift - mommy1 Thanks for the rep - Cliff Thanks for the rep, have a cool one on me, Cheers - Cliff Thanks and a new fish for the tank - glarior 
    Thanks for the gorgeous slide show! - fishmommie Thanks for the rep the other day - Cliff It's a Sudbury Saturday Night, Cheers - Cliff Hockey finals can not be watched without a hockey pop or two - Cliff Thanks for the rep :) - Greentoads41 
    Thanks for the Rep!! - steeler1 Merry Christmas! - steeler1 Merry Christmas - Cliff May you be living as high as the holiday hog this coming year! - Trillianne Happy New Year - mommy1 
    Thank you for the birthday wishes. - mommy1 Thanks for the Rep!! - steeler1 Have a Birthday fish!! - steeler1 Here you go sir, I just wish it had been a good game. - steeler1 Here's to one crummy Superbowl, lol! - Slaphppy7 
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - Strider199 

0 Not allowed!
    Plus one to Akran.

Good info.

When I moved my Wisteria from a 29 gallon with gravel to a 55 gallon with flourite it went yellow and stringy. I took it out and replaced it with some Anubis types. My lighting just didn't cut it in the deeper tank. I have since upgraded my lighting but still have not replaced the Wisteria. I go with what I have luck with.
    Warning; Bulldog Pleco guarding my Sons tank now..

Please remember; every keystroke has a consequence.

Awards Showcase

No Message - korith another pleco for your AC Tank - Northernguy Good job with your filter - Cliff No! You're banned for sending me a gift.. : ) - Little Embers Any more pleco's and your going to need a bigger tank. - gadget228 
    Now you must get a bigger tank : ) - Little Embers Careful! They're breeding LOL! - Little Embers thank you - Jacko Thanks for the rep - Cliff I couldn't find a new filter for you, but this is cool - Cliff 
    Thanks bud - Cliff Invasion of the Jackrabbits LOL! - Little Embers Merry X-mass - Cliff Merry Christmas - gadget228 Merry christmas to you to! - johndoe222 
    Happy Holidays! - Trillianne No Message - cer Birthday cake   :  ) - gadget228 Have a great birthday! - Tango Here's a shark for your backyard alkaline pond! - MLBfan 
    Childhood Cancer - Pleco380 Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - Pleco380 Aphasia - Asthma/Allergies - Brain Cancer - Brain Tumors - Diabetes - Mental Illness - Pleco380 

0 Not allowed!
    I also think lighting or ferts may be the issue. I have my tank in a very sunny room with hours of scorching heat and use ferts once a month. My plants do well and so far the shrimp haven't been bothered by them.
    26 gallon planted- 1 Black Angelfish, 1 Clown Pleco, Community of Ghost Shrimp
    3 gallon- Male orange VT betta "Mojave"
    Read about my fish in my blog:http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...wjournal&j=467

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I have two 20watt sunglo T8 bulbs. As for fertilisers...erm...does fish poo count? I'd heard about the tablets but thought they were just an optional extra for people who were really into plants as opposed to just having them for the sake of the fish.

Some of the plants were in my old 28litre and got moved when I set up my new tank about a month ago but the rest I've added bit by bit as I went a long so its good to know they might settle once they've been in a while longer.

Anyone know a list of shrimp and fish safe tablet fert that can be bought in the UK? I could do with more than one suggestion as I often can't find the best stuff everyone recommends either due to a badly stocked LFS or just different products being sold in different countries.

Awards Showcase

No Message - korith another pleco for your AC Tank - Northernguy Good job with your filter - Cliff No! You're banned for sending me a gift.. : ) - Little Embers Any more pleco's and your going to need a bigger tank. - gadget228 
    Now you must get a bigger tank : ) - Little Embers Careful! They're breeding LOL! - Little Embers thank you - Jacko Thanks for the rep - Cliff I couldn't find a new filter for you, but this is cool - Cliff 
    Thanks bud - Cliff Invasion of the Jackrabbits LOL! - Little Embers Merry X-mass - Cliff Merry Christmas - gadget228 Merry christmas to you to! - johndoe222 
    Happy Holidays! - Trillianne No Message - cer Birthday cake   :  ) - gadget228 Have a great birthday! - Tango Here's a shark for your backyard alkaline pond! - MLBfan 
    Childhood Cancer - Pleco380 Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - Pleco380 Aphasia - Asthma/Allergies - Brain Cancer - Brain Tumors - Diabetes - Mental Illness - Pleco380 

0 Not allowed!
    Not sure if you have it in the UK or not but I use Nutrafin PlantGro. It's always worked well for me. It's a liquid not a tablet though.
    26 gallon planted- 1 Black Angelfish, 1 Clown Pleco, Community of Ghost Shrimp
    3 gallon- Male orange VT betta "Mojave"
    Read about my fish in my blog:http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...wjournal&j=467

8. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I think I've seen nutrafin products on sale over here. Would nutrafin plant grow be ok to use with fish and shrimp?

Awards Showcase

Thanks for the birthday wishes - mommy1 and gift - mommy1 Thanks for the rep - Cliff Thanks for the rep, have a cool one on me, Cheers - Cliff Thanks and a new fish for the tank - glarior 
    Thanks for the gorgeous slide show! - fishmommie Thanks for the rep the other day - Cliff It's a Sudbury Saturday Night, Cheers - Cliff Hockey finals can not be watched without a hockey pop or two - Cliff Thanks for the rep :) - Greentoads41 
    Thanks for the Rep!! - steeler1 Merry Christmas! - steeler1 Merry Christmas - Cliff May you be living as high as the holiday hog this coming year! - Trillianne Happy New Year - mommy1 
    Thank you for the birthday wishes. - mommy1 Thanks for the Rep!! - steeler1 Have a Birthday fish!! - steeler1 Here you go sir, I just wish it had been a good game. - steeler1 Here's to one crummy Superbowl, lol! - Slaphppy7 
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - Strider199 

0 Not allowed!
    I'm not familiar with that product but I know shrimp are very sensitive to fert's. Read the label and/or ask/ research that product to make sure it's invertebrate safe.
    Warning; Bulldog Pleco guarding my Sons tank now..

Please remember; every keystroke has a consequence.