· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Fishguy,

My nitrates are showing a 0ppm. I do clean my water religiously, but I'm going to assume they are above 0ppm, but below 5ppm for sure. From what I have learned 0ppm is almost impossible.

I have used no carbon before. To be honest, nothing ever went wrong and my fish were fine, but my water was never as clean and clear as it was with the carbon. I just bought an R/O filter 2 days ago and I'm cycling this filter before I use the water. I will have my tank transfered over to R/O by two weeks from now. I will not be using a carbon media.

There are many debates back and fourth on whether or not to use carbon. I believe the carbon has a greater impact on wild caught discus. The discus we buy in the states are all tank raised, and who knows the conditions they were born in. I know for the most part many discus hobbyist will use the best water possible and we all hope for the best. I know my LFS will buy batches of discus from local breeders as well as professional breeders. I basically feel that the discus species has come far enough to be acclimated to normal tank conditions.

You hear of people having discus fish in 7.3+ pH and from some articles I've read... that's suppose to be impossible. Same with them breeding in tap water.

Because of your article though, I do go on and off of using carbon. I like to use it to filter out any inorganic materials I may not be able to visibly see, and again, it does make my water crystal clear, and I feel as though my fish become more active. Could just be me hoping that's the case too.

I think if you aren't overboard with any one media, the discus are fine. I've used purigen as a substitute as well. Didn't get the results I was hoping for though. I think today's species are too well adapted into fish tanks that you can use almost any media and be OK.
    Last edited by SpyderSpy6; 05-07-2008 at 01:11 PM.
    Good Tankin' & Take Care!

2. Default update...

0 Not allowed!
    It appears the white spot on my discus has cleared up! YES!

She also laid a batch of eggs last night. Would they do this if there was any kind of "sickness" in the tank?

Awards Showcase

Merry Christmas - Abbeys_Mom Great advice thanks - nraposa Thanks for helping me with my cichlids - Drumachine09 Always good answers - Lady Hobbs You dont have enough gifts. - Drumachine09 
    Thanks for your help again. - Lady Hobbs goodbye reptileguy....hello Fishguy - Lady Hobbs For always giving me great answere's on my PM's. Thanks for all the help! - cocoa_pleco Thanks For Your Help & Knowledge! :) - MeganL3985 For weakening me against axolotls!!!!!!! - Nick_Pavlovski 
    I am baking today and figured I'd share...Thanks for Always Helping when it's needed! - **AquaQueen** For recommending Fluvals and Stealths - Lady Hobbs Merry Christmas :) - MeganL3985 Merry Christmas! - RichBowyer Thanks for the hikari help - Billythefish 
    No Message - LORENZO Merry Christmas - Northernguy merry christmas.. a fellow fishnutter. - LORENZO merry christmas.. a fellow fishnutter. - LORENZO Merry X-Mas!! - The Red Severum 

0 Not allowed!
    Depends on what the problem is, some will even with certain problems.

It is not just discus, I don't use carbon in any tank anymore. I am curious as to why it seems to be helping your tank, this does nto match any tanks I have maintained.

I use just tap water for my discus. My tap is hard and alkaline and I don't alter it in any way. Some breeders breed them as high as 7.5, so I don't think pH is as much of an issue with some individuals, moreso with others. Mine are laying eggs but still in the stage when they eat them every time.

Discus have come a long way. It seems the hardiest ones are the 'assorted discus' in the LFS. Breeders take too good of care and tend to overlook health/hardiness in favor of better coloration, conformation, etc.

Glad it worked out for you.

What are you feeding them?
    Aquarist since 1995
    Biologist
    Owner: Aquarium Maintenance Company
    Brian's Aquarium Care: Articles about many aspects of aquarium care.

4. Default Feeding...

0 Not allowed!
    I'm not sure, but I think it was you that refered me to New Life Spectrum, and I've been using it ever since.

The fish LOVE IT!

I was also curious to see the changes in color everyone had talked about. I haven't seen necessarily more vibrant colors, they just look very healthy and all of them come to the cone when it's feeding time. Only a couple use to show up at feeding.

I also supplement this with bloodworms and beefhearts. I would say the bloodworms once about every 3-4 days apart, and the beefhearts about every other week.

When I do a big water change I will put some tabs at the bottom for my bottom feeders, and I have one discus that will munch it down if I don't hide it a little, don't know why he eats it though.

I do have one question... is there a way to keep the NLS from spreading like debris in my fish tank? When they eat little particles go everywhere, it's like a dust in the tank.

Awards Showcase

Merry Christmas - Abbeys_Mom Great advice thanks - nraposa Thanks for helping me with my cichlids - Drumachine09 Always good answers - Lady Hobbs You dont have enough gifts. - Drumachine09 
    Thanks for your help again. - Lady Hobbs goodbye reptileguy....hello Fishguy - Lady Hobbs For always giving me great answere's on my PM's. Thanks for all the help! - cocoa_pleco Thanks For Your Help & Knowledge! :) - MeganL3985 For weakening me against axolotls!!!!!!! - Nick_Pavlovski 
    I am baking today and figured I'd share...Thanks for Always Helping when it's needed! - **AquaQueen** For recommending Fluvals and Stealths - Lady Hobbs Merry Christmas :) - MeganL3985 Merry Christmas! - RichBowyer Thanks for the hikari help - Billythefish 
    No Message - LORENZO Merry Christmas - Northernguy merry christmas.. a fellow fishnutter. - LORENZO merry christmas.. a fellow fishnutter. - LORENZO Merry X-Mas!! - The Red Severum 

0 Not allowed!
    Which size are you feeding?
    What size are the discus?

Check out the article on bowl feeding in my blog, that should help keep it in one spot.
    Aquarist since 1995
    Biologist

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I'm assuming the pellets I'm using would be a medium to smaller size. They are not as small as the "small fish formula" and they are not as big as the "Antiparasitic Formula" pellets that I have.

All of my discus are about 4.5 - 5 inches. I' haven't put to much effort in to getting a measurement though. I put a ruler up to the tank and tried to estimate it. Either way they are good sized.

I will check out the blog article! Thanks!

Awards Showcase

0 Not allowed!
    NLS has the pellet size in millimeters on the package. That or the name of the food exactly will tell me.
    Aquarist since 1995
    Biologist

8. Default

0 Not allowed!
    HA... I didn't even notice they put the pellet size on the container. It is the 1mm Discus Formula

Awards Showcase

0 Not allowed!
    That should be small enough for them to eat whole, I'm surprised they are making such a mess with it. I had that problem in my 150. I cut back the amount being fed and that helped a lot. Discus like more smaller meals anyways than one or two larger ones. Maybe try messing with the feeding schedule a little and see what that does.
    Aquarist since 1995
    Biologist

10. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I have kind of done that already, but I have trouble making it home during the work day to feed. I will usually do a good size portion in the morning and then from about 4:30 - 8 I do 2 - 3 small feedings.

So I will cut it down a little more to see if that helps. Also, have you ever soaked the pellets?? My brother says that he's done that, and it doesn't make a mess. I don't know though... watching his discus which are much smaller than mine, they don't spit anything back out... mine will take a bite and spit almost the entire amount of food back out... or atleast it appears that way.