· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Possible new gar!!!

0 Not allowed!
    i was on craigs list a few days ago and found an ad for a 75 gallon fish tank...in the tank was a pair of gar. one is definitely a Florida/Spotted gar, but the other appears to be a Shortnose gar (the pics were kind of crappy). i have wanted a shortnose gar for a quite some time now and this one would be big enough to keep up with the rest of my gar. anyway i am going tonight to look at the fish and if it turns out to be a shorty i will indeed be adding him to my gar community tank!!! i'm very excited and just wanted to share...if i get the fish i will be sure to share some pics to you guys and girls.
    -Jordan
    Gar connaisseur

Predatory Tank:
    20" Tropical Gar, 18" Florida Gar, 20" Longnose Gar,
    17" Ornate Bichir, 25" Silver Arowana, 16" Bowfin, 15" Giant Gourami

16" Male Dovii

0 Not allowed!
    will look forward to the pics if you get the gar............
    angelcakes (penny)
    "The big fish eats the small one."
    -- Sephardic saying

chat link
    http://theaquaticlounge.chatango.com/

0 Not allowed!
    short nose gar? I caught one of them the other day. It was in the 2 and a half foot range. There is a pond not far from here, where I love to fish, and it has gar in it. The buddy I fish with, told me that they get big. Like monster sized. I do not think a gar can live in a 75 gallon tank. As I said, the one I caught was 2 and a half feet long, and it was a juvie.

They are neat looking, but watch out for the teeth. I got shredded when trying to take the lure out of its mouth. YIKES!!!
    75 gallon planted tank with discus, GBR's and cardinals

135 gallon saltwater FOWLR work in progress and desperately need help

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Outlander
    short nose gar? I caught one of them the other day. It was in the 2 and a half foot range. There is a pond not far from here, where I love to fish, and it has gar in it. The buddy I fish with, told me that they get big. Like monster sized. I do not think a gar can live in a 75 gallon tank. As I said, the one I caught was 2 and a half feet long, and it was a juvie.

They are neat looking, but watch out for the teeth. I got shredded when trying to take the lure out of its mouth. YIKES!!!
    ive been keeping gar for quite a few years now and consider myself well educated on their behavior and care requirements. it's important to mention that these fish RARELY even reach 20" in captivity. also i would be "rescuing" this fish from the 75 gallon and placing it in my 180 gallon tank.
    -Jordan
    Gar connaisseur

Predatory Tank:

16" Male Dovii

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Lady Hobbs
    Looking forward to those pictures.
    well...i got the gar and more than i bargained for!!!! i ended up buying the entire 75 gallon setup with all the fish that were in it!!! all the fish were so under fed and on a very poor diet that i ended up feeling bad for them, so i picked all of them up. the list includes a 15" Lima Shovelnose catfish (Amazing), 15" Florida/Spotted gar, 10" Common Pleco, and of course the 16" Shortnose gar. im tired after moving the tank and all the fish, so the pics should be up tomorrow. i just thought i would tease you all for a night!
    -Jordan
    Gar connaisseur

Predatory Tank:

16" Male Dovii

0 Not allowed!
    WOW! Those have got to be some kind of fish. I can't wait to see the pictures. Glad you rescued them and will be getting a humungous tank before long!

Awards Showcase

god im hungry - cocoa_pleco You make me laugh! - Drumachine09 And lots of pizza too! lol - Chrona wish i had some of this to drink right now - cocoa_pleco DAAAAAM, this drink looks good - cocoa_pleco 
    There. Thats better. - Drumachine09 maybe one day we can enjoy one of these - sergo Congrats you recived a RAK gift enjoy! - DemonShark RAK - DemonShark RAK - DemonShark 
    Cheers! - Nick_Pavlovski Since Wendy's is only open 4 hours! - aliz340 For Your Help And Friendship - MeganL3985 Hope you a good time in Germany - alizee340 Good to have you back around the forum! - Nick_Pavlovski 
    Thanks....you could use some Luck with your fish too! - **AquaQueen** I'm baking today and figured I'd share...Thanks for helping whne it's needed! - **AquaQueen** Back at you, CP! - Dave66 You send me fruit I send you pizza!! LOL!! - 2manyfish a fish for the new 5.5g salt! lol - cocoa_pleco 
    Graves Disease - Lymphedema - Men's Health - Pro Choice - Prostate Cancer - Scleroderma - Thyroid Disease - Trisomy 18 - cocoa_pleco Anti-Tobacco - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - cocoa_pleco Adoptee - Bone Cancer - Child Exploitation and Abuse - Hope and Support - Peace - Retinoblastoma - Right to Life - Student Sexual Assault - cocoa_pleco Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - cocoa_pleco World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - cocoa_pleco 
    Cesarean Sections - Headaches - Hospice Care - Multiple Myeloma - cocoa_pleco Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - cocoa_pleco Childhood Cancer - cocoa_pleco Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - cocoa_pleco 

0 Not allowed!
    wow, that guy had all of those fish in a 75g? poor shovelnose!

0 Not allowed!
    these fish all need some tlc, but i'll start working with them tomorrow. the previous owner didnt even know how to do a water change or how to operate his filtration system. i can only imagine what the water parameters were like. the shortnose gar is by far in the worst shape of them all...its soooo skinny.

also while i was moving the fish, i got stuck by the catfish's pointed fin. it stabbed me right between my knuckles and went in about 1/4"...OUCH! i couldnt open or close my hand for a few hours!

anyway i will try to post some pics tomorrow after the new fish have settled in.
    -Jordan
    Gar connaisseur

Predatory Tank:

16" Male Dovii

0 Not allowed!
    here are a few quick crappy pics i took saturday night. i have been too busy moving tanks around to really get some good photos.

please excuse the algae on the backwall of the tank...i leave it there for the trumpet snails and pleco to snack on. lol!
    -Jordan
    Gar connaisseur

Predatory Tank:

16" Male Dovii