· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Default Neon's and Discus?

0 Not allowed!
    I've always thought that a tank that has a school of neons in with a small school of discus looked great. But in reading through this and the Discus Forum, I noticed that there are a few comments on the neon's being attacked.

I have 20 Neons and 10 Black Neons in a 60 gallon moderately planted tank. Would the introduction of three small discus be a neon nightmare?

Thanks for any guidance,
    Chuck

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

wonderful photos - Lady Hobbs   more discus for you - Lady Hobbs   A blueram for you sir!!!!! - jbeining75   Love your discus - sailor   Poor bastard..  Have a nip for the pain.. - doug z   
    Childhood Cancer - SkinnyChicken   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - SkinnyChicken   

0 Not allowed!
    I have an 80g (and like you, moderately planted) that is currently home to 6 discus and a load of other community fish. In my experience discus are too slow to bother with the smaller tetras. Black neons were a good choice - they are a beautiful fish and reasonably hardy too and can look after themselves. A while back I introduced neons and cardinals to my tank and it wasn't the discus that caused any deaths - just the delicate nature of neons generally. If yours are an established school and have been in your tank a while then I would reckon you'd be fine introducing discus - and yours plants will ensure the neons have somewhere to hide should the discus get a little too friendly.

The only problem I can see is that the number of discus you are intending to get is rather small. In my experience (again), although they fight like cat and dog at times, my discus like each others company and it wasn't until I got to 6 that they seemed at their happiest. Just something to think about.

I've also read on the AC that discus need 10g per fish ... which is actually not something I've stuck to and mine are thriving quite nicely.

The black neons will look great with discus though - I think they are a very underated fish :)

You can have it done good, cheap, and fast. Pick any two.
    80g (300L) - Discus, Silver Dollars, Corys, Kuhlis, Zebras, Bristlenose Plecs, Flying Foxes, Bumblebee Gobies, Bolivian Rams and a Whiptail Catfish.
    18g (60L) - Lake Tanganyika tank with 3 Neolamprologus multifasciatus and 13 Neon Tetras.
    10g (38L) - 2 male Betta Splendens (Crowntails) - Optimus Prime & Megatron
    Pond (350-450g) - 9 Goldfish, Comets, Shebumpkins & 2 Yabbies.
    Diary Of A Madman (My Blog)

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

god im hungry - cocoa_pleco   You make me laugh! - Drumachine09   And lots of pizza too! lol - Chrona   wish i had some of this to drink right now - cocoa_pleco   DAAAAAM, this drink looks good - cocoa_pleco   
    Graves Disease - Lymphedema - Men's Health - Pro Choice - Prostate Cancer - Scleroderma - Thyroid Disease - Trisomy 18 - cocoa_pleco   Anti-Tobacco - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - cocoa_pleco   Adoptee - Bone Cancer - Child Exploitation and Abuse - Hope and Support - Peace - Retinoblastoma - Right to Life - Student Sexual Assault - cocoa_pleco   Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - cocoa_pleco   World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - cocoa_pleco   

0 Not allowed!
    the mix should be okay

one warning, if any neons get neon tetra disease, it can spread to your discus. i remember a guy had 20 neons with 8 discus, and one neon got NTD and wiped out all of his discus and almost all of the other neons

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Thanks for the nice post - Lady Hobbs   a gift your you! - squirt_12   beautiful blue discus - Algenco   felt like it - Lady Hobbs   for all the help! - squirt_12   
    Alzheimer's - Crohn's & Colitis - Cystic Fibrosis - Domestic Violence - Fibromyalgia - Leimyosarcoma - Lupus - ILuvMyGoldBarb   Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - ILuvMyGoldBarb   Graves Disease - Lymphedema - Men's Health - Pro Choice - Prostate Cancer - Scleroderma - Thyroid Disease - Trisomy 18 - ILuvMyGoldBarb   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - ILuvMyGoldBarb   Male Breast Cancer - Pregnancy Loss - Infant Loss - Sudden Infant Death - ILuvMyGoldBarb   

0 Not allowed!
    cocoa, Discus cannot get NTD. Something else wiped out those Discus. Only Characins are vulnerable to NTD.
    As for the Neons and Discus combo, it usually does work out fine. I kept the combo of 4 Discus and 20 Neons for over a year. Then about 3 weeks ago I noticed that my neon population was smaller and it is now nonexistant and there are no bodies and no spikes in water parameters. The only answer is that the Discus had lunch. Nothing else in the tank is capable of getting rid of them. So, while it is not common, it can happen.
    Considering a Marine Aquarium? A Breakdown of the Components, Live Rock, Cycling a Marine Tank

"The capacity to learn is a gift; The ability to learn is a skill; The WILLINGNESS to learn is a choice." - Unknown

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

god im hungry - cocoa_pleco   You make me laugh! - Drumachine09   And lots of pizza too! lol - Chrona   wish i had some of this to drink right now - cocoa_pleco   DAAAAAM, this drink looks good - cocoa_pleco   
    Graves Disease - Lymphedema - Men's Health - Pro Choice - Prostate Cancer - Scleroderma - Thyroid Disease - Trisomy 18 - cocoa_pleco   Anti-Tobacco - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - cocoa_pleco   Adoptee - Bone Cancer - Child Exploitation and Abuse - Hope and Support - Peace - Retinoblastoma - Right to Life - Student Sexual Assault - cocoa_pleco   Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - cocoa_pleco   World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - cocoa_pleco   

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by ILuvMyGoldBarb
    cocoa, Discus cannot get NTD. Something else wiped out those Discus. Only Characins are vulnerable to NTD.
    really? damn, i wish i knew that when i heard the story a couple of years ago, i was at a pet store a few hours away when the guy came in saying how all his discus got wiped out, he might have had low oxygen levels or something

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

wonderful photos - Lady Hobbs   more discus for you - Lady Hobbs   A blueram for you sir!!!!! - jbeining75   Love your discus - sailor   Poor bastard..  Have a nip for the pain.. - doug z   
    Childhood Cancer - SkinnyChicken   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - SkinnyChicken   

0 Not allowed!
    Neons are so delicate though that I reckon mine die if I walk by the tank and sneeze!

80g (300L) - Discus, Silver Dollars, Corys, Kuhlis, Zebras, Bristlenose Plecs, Flying Foxes, Bumblebee Gobies, Bolivian Rams and a Whiptail Catfish.
    18g (60L) - Lake Tanganyika tank with 3 Neolamprologus multifasciatus and 13 Neon Tetras.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Thanks for the nice post - Lady Hobbs   a gift your you! - squirt_12   beautiful blue discus - Algenco   felt like it - Lady Hobbs   for all the help! - squirt_12   
    Alzheimer's - Crohn's & Colitis - Cystic Fibrosis - Domestic Violence - Fibromyalgia - Leimyosarcoma - Lupus - ILuvMyGoldBarb   Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - ILuvMyGoldBarb   Graves Disease - Lymphedema - Men's Health - Pro Choice - Prostate Cancer - Scleroderma - Thyroid Disease - Trisomy 18 - ILuvMyGoldBarb   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - ILuvMyGoldBarb   Male Breast Cancer - Pregnancy Loss - Infant Loss - Sudden Infant Death - ILuvMyGoldBarb   

0 Not allowed!
    You know, that so funny tha tyou mention that SC. LOL I just started a thread about that very thing a week or so ago. It seems that everyone else around here has delicate Neons except for me, I've never had trouble with them being delicate. I purchased 20 Neons over a year and a half ago and the only reason I lost any of them was because of my Discus.
    Considering a Marine Aquarium? A Breakdown of the Components, Live Rock, Cycling a Marine Tank

"The capacity to learn is a gift; The ability to learn is a skill; The WILLINGNESS to learn is a choice." - Unknown

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Thanks for the nomination - Cliff   Merry X-mass, and thanks for all of your help this past year, both here and at the store - Cliff   No Message - cer   Thanks for the rep - Cliff   thanks for the betta :D - Cyberra   
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - sailor   Autism - sailor   

0 Not allowed!
    My discus and neons have been getting along great.
    Sailor

Aye Aye

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Just don't forget to feed your Discus for a couple of days when they are full grown. They'll find a meal.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by ILuvMyGoldBarb
    Just don't forget to feed your Discus for a couple of days when they are full grown. They'll find a meal.
    lol ... funny you should say that, I just got back from a long weekend away and I wasn't sure who was most pleased to se me back, the neons or the discus :)