· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I have a 90 gallon tank in which I have pink tulip eel and a amphivious frog and a few placos The tank is infected with ick and I,m not sure how to treat it. I was going to use quick cure but, everyone tells me different things. First can I use this with an eel and frog? If so, how much of a dosage and for how long? Should I do 25% water changes every day and raise the temp.? I'd hate to lose my eel,I've had him for 4 years. I recently removed a large oscar from the tank because he was terrorizing everyone, I think the stress of him hascaused the ick. Help,how do I handle this situation without loosing my beautiful eel and frog?

2. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Donna McLellan
    I have a 90 gallon tank in which I have pink tulip eel and a amphivious frog and a few placos The tank is infected with ick and I,m not sure how to treat it. I was going to use quick cure but, everyone tells me different things. First can I use this with an eel and frog? If so, how much of a dosage and for how long? Should I do 25% water changes every day and raise the temp.? I'd hate to lose my eel,I've had him for 4 years. I recently removed a large oscar from the tank because he was terrorizing everyone, I think the stress of him hascaused the ick. Help,how do I handle this situation without loosing my beautiful eel and frog?
    Have you read the article this thread is about?

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I have a 90 gallon tank and an ick problem. In this tank, I have a large pink tulip eel and amphibious frog and 2 placos. I recently removed a large mean oscar who had been terrorizing everyone(probably the cause of the ick). the problem is everyone tells me something different. I was planning to use quick cure but I don't know if the eel or frog would be sensitive to this. Also should I raise the water temp. and do a 25% water change everyday? Help, I,m afraid to kill my beautiful eel with the cure.

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I have treated with quick cure by api many times with my dwarf frogs and many catfish and loach species I have.I have never lost any of them,I use a little more then half doses and elevate the temps as well.You will have to treat with some method or you will lose fish by lack of action.Did you read through the article mentioned in the first post?

5. Default Ick Problem

0 Not allowed!
    Here is the problem that I have. I have a Dojo loach. I am afraid to increase the temperature to 82 degrees to treat the Ick, because Dojo's do not tolerate high heat, at least that is what I read. I am afraid he will die. I have a 29 Gal Tank. Here is what is in it. Dojo Loach, Clown Loach, 2 Marble type Mollies, Plecostomus, small angel fish, 3 Tetras, 2 rainbow rams, and a beta. They are all pretty small. 11 fish total. I treated them for ick, using Clear at 1/2 dose, with daily water changes 50%, took out my carbon filter, for two days. The ick is not gone. On the third dose my angle seemed stressed so I took out 50% of the water and replaced the carbon filter. He seems fine now. I kept testing my water for any PH, Nitrate, Nitrite, Ammonia and so on during this time. It all seemed fine.
    So I thought of going back to the store and buying a ick guard 11 instead (for sensitive fish) and I was going to increase the temp to 82% but after reading that Dojo Loach's don't thrive in that temp, I am worried. What can I do? I did read the article posted and that is my plan of action, but because the Dojo Loach thrives on less heat, should I try to move him and treat him separately? Oh, I forgot to mention that I did not increase the temp because I have one of those stupid heaters that does not adjust. I was going to go buy a different heater for this treatment. Thanks
    Last edited by montana272; 09-18-2009 at 06:34 PM. Reason: added information

6. Default update ick

0 Not allowed!
    I just did it anyway, and have been watching for stress. I am so sick of this ick. I just hope it goes away and I don't lose any fish.

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by montana272
    I just did it anyway, and have been watching for stress. I am so sick of this ick. I just hope it goes away and I don't lose any fish.
    Out of 11 fish I have 6 left. Even thou the fish for sure had ick, they had something else as well. I am treating that along with the ick.
    With that said, It is important to note, that everyone has something different to say on the issue of riding your fish of ick. It can be very confusing. Some people say "don't do water changes" some people say "do water changes" Some people say "turn the heat up to 84" some people say "don't turn the heat up that high" Some people said "don't treat a bacteria the same time you treat for ick" and visa versa.
    However, I finally broke down after the 5th fish died. I keep my heat at 80 degrees not 82 and I have treated with Ick Guard and Bionox. I called the company to make sure it was ok. I did not notice a Bacteria infection. However after 6 days of using the ick meds and not seeing anything but dead fish, I decided I had nothing to lose at this point. I do believe that this website is the most informative, with the most accurate information. Thank you, goes out to the owner of this site.

8. Default

0 Not allowed!
    It seems like different solutions work for different fish and set-ups. a little research on the net suggests that if you start treating early (as soon as you see anything abnormal at all) temp and salt works pretty well, but can fail if you wait too long. Which is kind of what I must have done. :-(